HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

Having a bracing time with Terror! The foreyard brace is rigged but not belayed along with the main topsail and topgallant yard braces. Also the ships boats in the waist are in place (still not sure about the sled but will leave it).

443020596_Terror_boats1.thumb.jpg.00ed9d1f547327c1f939879db08785b5.jpg

901900781_Terror_main_topsail_brace1.thumb.jpg.a66edc0e076c9785c21c9dd1a828aef8.jpg

take care everyone and thanks for looking in. and the likes and comments.

Keith

Thanks for the likes and comments (could have kept the brace analogies going indefinitely Keith LOL)! Have gone back to working on the davit posts while debating whether rigging the main braces would get in the way 🤔. Also glued the foreward skid beam in place, after one is just resting on knees while i figure how i am going to make the framework for the ice bridge.

1079160989_Terror_davit_posts1.thumb.jpg.b05255dbb35c5e7025819c623c9c4095.jpg

374555433_Terror_deck_view_21.thumb.jpg.f4e1ea9ac79e4fd98a1056a44ce3d758.jpg

Also been thinking about the davit arms and think KeithS might be on to something with the curved arms as opposed to straight on the 1836 drawings, have looked at other ships from same period and they did have curved davits. The enigma that is Terror continues..... we need Mr Betts book!

Take care all

Keith

20 hours ago, clearway said:

Also been thinking about the davit arms and think KeithS might be on to something with the curved arms as opposed to straight on the 1836 drawings, have looked at other ships from same period and they did have curved davits. The enigma that is Terror continues..... we need Mr Betts book!

Take care all

Keith

Kieth, while I have not been able to get a hard copy of Dr. Betts book, I have been able to purchase a kindle version. Below are a couple screen shots that I found in the book.

#1: Erebus and Terror prior to departure for the Northwest Passage. (The Illustrated London News, 24 May 1845) - appears to show a curved stern davit.

#2: Terror, which Stanley called ‘our friend and Pitcher’, under tow by Blazer, 30 May, 1845, Owen Stanley. (National Library of Australia, Bib ID 2484716) - also shows a curved davit 

#3: And the last image, a portion of Dr. Betts research and drawings shows curved davits.

I think curved davits is where I’m heading with my Terror.

Daniel

E0B07E88-1245-42C1-86FC-C1F231AD932E.png

D60DB2FE-E1ED-4EA3-A20E-21B99395E044.png

6D52F74C-FCBC-4321-8FBE-A94D33F97A66.png

2 minutes ago, clearway said:

many thanks Daniel, looks like curved davits it is. Cant wait till the hard copy is available in October will be an interesting read.

Keith

Keith, I’m about 1/3 through the book and am impressed on what this ship went through over the course of her life. That being said, I’ve not made it to the section of the book before her last voyage… I do think the book is well done for what it set out to do. 

Daniel

Keith, as I’m reading Dr. Betts book on the Terror, page 145 on the Kindle version, I came across this regarding the davits in addition to the above post.

2D25BD5F-3EA2-4F47-A911-17D676AAB745.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes, comments and looking in everyone. I have been playing about with creating the curved davits and have tried a temp installation to see how they look. Also the jib sail has been added (yey we have all the sails on)! though the sheets and downhauls still need added to both sails on bowsprit. Dont know why but occre have got the jib stay rigged but bent the sail on the topgallant stay!? Also i have glued the other skid beam on and painted/ varnished the whale boats supplied with the kit as they did look the part. Still pondering the ice bridge especially as we cant take for granted if it was on the 1836 plans it will have still been there in 1845, when i get my copy of mr Bretts magnum opus in October i should be able to add it if needed.

1198572218_Terror_curved_davits_21.thumb.jpg.9c286a06a4e9c9092d1a6927216a5877.jpg

1764606925_Terror_jib_sail1.thumb.jpg.d7be579624f6faae6a8d43c3b80ef06c.jpg

671308718_Terror_port_side1.thumb.jpg.dfbb6779c8177058e0df4370c7d7a06f.jpg

550301827_Terror_whale_boats1.thumb.jpg.74473e8f748b77d4cc0b5ae2b2bb19e3.jpg

Take care everyone

Keith

Keith, I'm starting to contemplate how I'm going to make the curved davits. Did you use a laminating technique or soften with water, bend to shape and dry? Or some other method?

Daniel

Hi Daniel, a bit of both😉. I soaked some 3 x 1mm strip and bent them around a former made from some planking pins on a piece of scrap ply , that is version one! i am thinking now of using some wider and thinner strip bent around a round tin/ glass  as they seem a bit thinnish using first method🤔.

Keith

Thanks for the likes, comments and looking in everyone. Experimentation continues with the curved davits. This time used 6 lengths of occre deck planking cut to size and curved on the previous jig then glued/ sanded to shape. Also a while back i bought in some barrels by Caldercraft which will need the iron bands painted on them.

1646597927_Terror_davits_mark_21.thumb.jpg.98db322a7ea7b96730876270e04eabff.jpg

1890744790_Terror_barrels1.jpg.0b1f1f3be0dae31f10eb3da93cbe53c3.jpg

will need to think about adding spare spars in the crutches in the waist as well.

take care all

Keith

Your Terror is one of the best renditions I have seen, kudos!!    It is a shame that the kit maker knows nothing about sails and puts what another member here at MSW likened to door mats in the box.   This has been a gripe for many builders and why they look for alternative solutions.  Just as a comparison of a sail and the thing the kit supplied, the below might be more clear.   The dimensional information on the sketch on the right comes from sources based on contemporary information, including Lees' Masting and Rigging.  The dimensions may be a bit off but if you or someone building this kit can give me the length of the yard I can give more accurate dimensions on the kit sail to make a more fair comparison.  I left off quite a few of the additional reinforcing panels on the drawing, but these can be found in a number of books and probably on line. 

Allan

143589941_OcCresailsversusrealsails.JPG.2d4a9baee6ea3f25c9f9f2c5c16b6538.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 6/22/2022 at 3:04 PM, clearway said:

the yard is 125mm long

Hi Keith,

I assume you are referring to the upper most yard in the photo.  With the yard being 125mm  the dimensions are not quite as far off the mark as I thought.  10 inch sewn perimeter seams are still pretty far out of scale, but 30 inch cloths are only 20% over sized.  

Regardless, your build really is super.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan, to be honest i was really wondering either way whether to use them or not, bur chickened out of scratching sails! EZ i have seen this on model aircraft (think keith s mentions this technique as well). I think Beagles davits are iron as opposed to wood though?

Keith

Thanks to rain and wind all plans for outside d.i.y. and gardening were scuppered this weekend (loveeee Cumbrian weather)!!! The braces are now fitted to the main yard (didnt splice them though😉), happy with the standing end but not sure of lead so not belayed yet. Also included a pic of the davit jig showing three stages in construction.

82820266_Terror_main_brace1.thumb.jpg.20ae766aee2b523b8858beaa4d4d8307.jpg

277775890_Terror_davit_jig1.jpg.c3840c2fa1010e7c955ff4cbd3f98c0e.jpg

thanks for looking in and the likes/comments as always they are appreciated.

take care all

Keith

Thanks for likes and comments everyone. The first of the anchors are in place (behind the mizzen shrouds) and the port side davits are in place (need lanyards trimmed).

681537556_Terror_davits_and_anchor1.thumb.jpg.66703ad4bcf9864d8aae99c015f233ad.jpg

1418828888_Terror_anchor1.jpg.cbf3fc8688a191036cdc1cf6ce647e59.jpg

hope i dont block access to any pin rails i need to use!

Keith

Edited by clearway

Anchors! after much deliberation over the last couple of years finally decided to replace the kit anchors with ones from aeronaut (one already in place). Using 30mm and 20mm for the ones aft and 40mm for the ones at the bows and midships which equate to the 10 foot anchors on the plans. While the kit anchors are o.k. the stocks are really thick which bulks them out too much to fit behind the shrouds.

23472528_Terror_anchor_replacements1.thumb.jpg.163328156ad0161744c67f918baed664.jpg

2106669000_Terror_anchor_11.jpg.49e2f4b6733adc241f03cfb6489d735b.jpg

1351748722_Terror_anchor_21.jpg.698c0d320323c40673bd55fd172b43ca.jpg

Take care everyone and thanks for likes and looking in.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Keith, I’m starting to think about the ladder on the side of the Terror. In Dr. Betts work on the terror he doesn’t specifically say if there is a ladder on both sides of the ship. In his drawings I see it on the starboard side, but in some of the old etchings of the Terror, I see a ladder on the port side. Is this something that would generally be on both the port and starboard sides?

On 7/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, DanielD said:

Keith, I’m starting to think about the ladder on the side of the Terror. In Dr. Betts work on the terror he doesn’t specifically say if there is a ladder on both sides of the ship. In his drawings I see it on the starboard side, but in some of the old etchings of the Terror, I see a ladder on the port side. Is this something that would generally be on both the port and starboard sides?

Hi Daniel, i will eventually get around to adding ladders to both sides , all ships i have seen have had ladders both sides and suspect terror and erebus would have been no different (if you look at the much repeated lithograph of the ships setting out you can make out the ladder on the port side of erebus {closest of two ships in pic})

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Ahhh summers like we used to get before the 2000s! Either work outside in the high twenties centigrade or hide in the shipyard🤪. Managed to finally get the whisker booms painted and temp fitted (feels like agessss since i made these)! Also got the first of the jib boom guys spliced on the end. Moving aft slightly the sheets on the fore course are rigged though the tacks still need run through a block on the end of the boomkins and belayed, the midships anchors have also been stowed on the ice bumper along with trail fitting of spare spars in the waist stanchions.

272902610_Terror_jib_boom_guy1.thumb.jpg.0b3648307d0c320cb20d83082be5c9db.jpg

1661654550_Terror_fore_course_sheet1.thumb.jpg.bfc2de10354a6b4d6982ee4e568b4b5c.jpg

2105284343_Terror_progress_sp_far1.thumb.jpg.7774d6a92496439414beeb8cf66b153f.jpg

looking at some of the images that have come to life it does look like flying jib boom and stunsail booms were fitted! though not sure tri sail yards would be rigged, hindsight is a wonderful thing but just going to leave my lil Terror as is!

Thanks for looking in and the likes/ comments as always everyone.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and looking in as always everyone, thanks to rain moving in Friday afternoon all the way through til this Sunday) morning , garden chores out the window but got some work done on Terror.

The jib boom guys are now rigged along with the down haul on the fore topmast stay sail.

1377470206_Terror_jib_boom_guys1.thumb.jpg.e31961bfd896b7193ad3637663345e84.jpg

114570884_Terror_stay_sail__down_haul1.thumb.jpg.27267ef474b3472a504aa9fd4df74bdb.jpg

Take care all.

Keith

Thanks for looking in and the likes/ comments everyone. Still nothing happened with terror due to summer weather, but I finally have it!!!!!!!!!

1606968343_Matthew_Betts_Terror_book1.thumb.jpg.35c6b9e3b93cff762ea050ee194c1a56.jpg

If your looking in thank you Matthew and kudos to Keith S.

If i were building my Terror again after studying the plans i would follow the other Keith regards the starboard deckhouse at the stern, i would also keep the masts as they are but add around 20mm to the masts above the hounds on the fore and main topgallant masts and the topmast on the mizzen (still wouldnt rig a topgallant mast on the mizzen though/ she would have originally had a topsail but looking at the topsham model and some pictures no topgallant sail). Also would add the flying jib boom though still not sure about the trysail yards (will need to double check the book to see if there is any evidence on the masts for them). Another thing to go would be the occre sails (i was in two minds but went with them in the end). Still in the air about studding sail booms (is there any evidence of the irons on the yards near the wreck)? and would heighten the bulwarks.

Cant wait to get my teeth into the book though with temperatures of 31C at the moment not very atmospheric! I said to the guy in the book store  "define irony..... buying a book on a polar exploration vessel in a heatwave".

😄

Should be starting back on Terror soon (sharp eyed among you might have noticed another kit for an arctic exploration vessel!

Take care all and this book is a must for all Terror fans.:cheers:

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Hi Keith,

Given the great build you have shared with us, especially considering the improvements you have made to what the kit provided, have you decided on your next project?   

Thanks

Allan