4-Oared Yawl by rexnuktia - Master Korabel MK0103

Hello all, I have built balsa RC model airplanes before, but this is my first boat build. Also have an interest in scale armor and prefer 1:72, hence the fascination with tiny boats. Big thanks to "etsinko" for the similar inspirational build log and the genius who came up with the "quick find indexes" idea. Now on to the build. Kit ordered via Ebay on March 30, 2020. It probably got stuck somewhere due to the COVID-19 situation, but I was surprised last week when it finally showed up at my doorstep on May 5, 2020.  

IMG_20200504_170709.jpg

IMG_20200504_170847.jpg

Edited by rexnuktia
typo

Welcome! I’m a raw noob as well, having embarked on my very first ship build in decades, and I’m really enjoying the forum here. A lot.

Looking forward to seeing the yawl take shape.

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

4 hours ago, ErnieL said:

Welcome! I’m a raw noob as well, having embarked on my very first ship build in decades, and I’m really enjoying the forum here. A lot.

Looking forward to seeing the yawl take shape.

Thanks Ernie ! Yes, this forum is a wonderful place and I look to contribute more in time. So after eyeing my kit for the past week, my 9 year old son finally asked me if I was going to build it or not ? Hence the dining table start this evening with him and his 5 year old sister "helping".  

Borrowed the Mrs's cutting board and stared super gluing the ribs in place. I don't really have much experience or the patience (or so I thought) with white wood glue but each part was dry fitted before gluing. Everything fit very well, but care must be taken to ensure every rib is 90 degrees to the base. 

IMG_20200509_195440.jpg

IMG_20200509_200240.jpg

IMG_20200509_204656.jpg

Edited by rexnuktia

The keel (one of the few words I know about boats) is made by sandwiching three sections together using pins for alignment. I took the supplied wire, cut it into 10 sections (as the instructions showed how many more I'll need later on) and then used needle nose pliers to shape the end. I also took the time to sharpen the edge of the pins as my cutter squished the wire out of shape when I cut the sections. 

IMG_20200509_211906.jpg

IMG_20200509_213845.jpg

IMG_20200509_213900.jpg

IMG_20200509_213931.jpg

My son's left over Elmer's craft glue was put to use on the keel sections and pinned and clamped in place. I previously had a very negative perception about white glue (primarily with regards to long dry time) and thought I would have to wait overnight for this thing to dry, but when I read the instructions behind the bottle it said parts could be ready to use in 30 to 60 minutes ! That was pretty good news, so off I went to put the kids to bed and make some tea for the Mrs and I ...

IMG_20200509_214639.jpg

IMG_20200509_215151.jpg

Forgot to mention the last pieces of the jig were soaked for about 40 minutes in cold water, and were now gently curved and attached. I was aware "etsinko" had mentioned fit issues due to the wood swelling, but it went pretty painlessly for me. And it's time to call it a night for now. I have a well founded reputation with the wife for not finishing my kits, so hopefully I can return to this tomorrow … wish me luck ! 

IMG_20200509_232434.jpg

IMG_20200509_232445.jpg

6 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Tiny kit but very detailed. Master Korabel is a true artist and his kits are top notch.

Thank you for sharing your build with us.

Yves

You are most welcome Yves, and yes, I completely agree; this is a beautiful very well detailed kit. 

And now for some good news. I got an email response from Master Korabel with the english instructions. I am sharing them here for our member's future reference.

MK0103_PACKAGE_ENG_IMG.pdf

Does Master Korabel have an English site?...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

3 hours ago, Moab said:

Does Master Korabel have an English site?...Moab

Nope, and good luck trying to find their Russian site using google. I don't remember how I found it, but then I had to translate each page to make sense of it. Luckily I found an email address which responded with thesd instructions. 

Thanx for the fast answer. Your kit looks great......I’ll try to find one. Again, thank you...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I'm looking forward to seeing this go together. I built the little three-inch "ship's boat" and I was absolutely astonished at the level of detail in the model. I thoroughly enjoyed building it. It really is one of the coolest kits I've ever seen. I'd like to build another one and scratch-build a sailing rig for it, to display alongside my ship.

29DEDB02-031A-416B-AF3E-74C52C2511BD.jpeg

Edited by Keith S

Glad you got the instructions sorted out. Reading through this thread, I was ready to offer assistance as I can read Russian (though far from fluent), but seems that won't be necessary. Also, Master Korabel is active on MSW, through this account, so you can contact them directly through a private message within the site. They also have an active news thread that may be of interest. Looking forward to how this build progresses.

Cleaned up and added keel. Fit was adequate. Rib insertion was time consuming, but not too bad. I rolled a bend in each using my cutting knife. There is plenty of clearance for these to pass tbrough the holes in the keel and jig. Made only one mistake where one rib cracked and has a bump. I'll try to flatten it using superglue tomorrow before planking. 

IMG_20200510_223020.jpg

IMG_20200510_231648.jpg

Thank you so much guys (ccoyle & Ybes). Really appreciate the help and kind words. I'll keep these names in mind. In fact, I did get a response from the Ebay seller (Valentina) that she has contacted the manufacturer regarding english instructions. Glad I didn't wait LOL. 

So today was really a struggle. Easily the most difficult part of the build was cutting the ribs 1 mm apart to attach the final top plank. Despite using a brand new blade, I ended up breaking a few formers. Then it got worse as the rear hull got stuck to the jig. Some man handling and jig demolition was required, but luckily I got the boat out in one piece. 

IMG_20200513_150847.jpg