What Glue to Use for Attaching Real Keel Pieces to False Keel

Newbe here.  I'm building the Amati Lady Nelson and I'm ready to attach the 3 x pieces that make up the real keel to the "false keel" that the bulwark frames are attached to.  My question is what type of glue should I use to attach them?  I've seen articles/discussions that include epoxy, CA and PVA.  Amati Instructions don't specify.  Also, I have not seen any discussion on the application of epoxy or PVA.  If it's CA, that's fairly obvious.

Also, if there is a gap between the rudder post part of the real keel and the stern edge of the false keel as a result of beveling the deadwood at the stern, do I need to fill that gap before gluing the rudder post?  I would think so.  See the photo., the gap

2027521208_IKeel1_20200512_151526.thumb.jpg.c2595b442c085c16e28aef66eb6c87af.jpg

Help greatly appreciated...John

Edited by drjeckl

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

have a look through these logs, im sure you will find your answer

open up the wooden kits file, which downloads in a PDF format, each entry for Lady Nelson will take you to the relevant build log

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I prefer PVA only because it's less messy than epoxy.  I wouldn't use CA.

As for that little hole, don't sweat it.  It'll be covered with the planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kevin,

I went through all the logs for that build and didn't find anything specific.  I searched this forum and found nothing.  I googled this topic's text and found one with CA. The MS builder in the Amati video logs recommended epoxy.  I got nutin'.

John

Edited by drjeckl

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

personally i would use white PVA and pin it in place, and as mark said the planking would cover the hole

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

PVA has always been my go to, but I used epoxy for metal to wood.  I am not a fan of CA for  wood joints, (but it is great in place of a suture on a cut finger :>)    If you can I would cut the faces of the rabbet in the keel pieces before gluing it in place.   It will be far easier getting the angles correct on both faces of the rabbet which are dynamic along the entire length.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 years later...

@kevin - thanks for posting the 'Quick Find Indexes...'.  That's a real gem! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Sorry if I am hyjacking this thread a bit but whilst on the subject I have been considering using Superphalatic glue on my future keel . https://www.hobbies.co.uk/deluxe-materials-super-phatic-glue Insread of the usual PVA. Rather than adding  pva to individual pieces and waiting for the glue to dry . Build the model up in a frame which together with a false deck keeps everything lined and square, then add the glue later. 

I know this is used by other modellers but used on MDF but unsure if there is enough penetration on plywood?

Seems to work quite well on smaller projects. Thank you and sorry again for going off track a bit. Best regards Dave

20230227_084805.jpg.5f6f535df9ea00cc4a8a1d64c782e40a.jpg

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour