Wardee-Jay 1940 era circus wagons by boxbuild-1/48

Wardee-Jay sold replicas of circus wagons from late 1940s and early 50s. They contained one page construction drawings with notes. Wood, wire, pins, stamped parts and soft metal castings (mostly wheels) were provided. Decals were included but by this time they crumbled when touched. So decorations were handed painted. 

A few liberties were taken with the giraffe wagon by addding a sliding roof panel so the toy giraffes could be seen. In general they follow the plans which reflect Ringling Bros equipment. 

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

I was in a club with a retired AF Chief Master Sergeant, who belonged to the Circus Modelers Association or some such. He modeled in N thru G scales. His pride and joy was a calliope in O scale. Impressive builds.  They've retired all the real circus trains here in the US, so the models are it except for a few random circus museums.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Canute said:

I was in a club with a retired AF Chief Master Sergeant, who belonged to the Circus Modelers Association or some such. He modeled in N thru G scales. His pride and joy was a calliope in O scale. Impressive builds.  They've retired all the real circus trains here in the US, so the models are it except for a few random circus museums.

That's really a pity, in my opinion.   As kids we went down to the railroad station to see the train come in and unload.  Then there was the parade to the fairgrounds and putting up the tents, etc.   We've lost something using semi-trucks and hockey rinks, etc for circuses.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, Ringling Brothers parked their trains in the Meadowlands in North Jersey (really swampland, but I grew up near there), unloaded their stuff and rolled into the Lincoln Tunnel and over to Madison Square Garden in Manhattan. It was a sight to behold. Multiple sections of their trains came in to the railroad yards.

The route was the reverse of the opening credits of "The Sopranos", an HBO show on the Jersey/New York mafia. Required watching for us Jersey guys with Italian blood, ya know.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I've never seen them before.........really cool! :)   gone to the circus in my younger days,  but never got to see anything like that.......lucky guy Ken! ;)    I've seen older wagon kits though,  but haven't bought any.   I did purchase the Budweiser Clydesdale wagon recently.......gotta be around forty years or so when the kit was released.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool!  My kids would love this!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)