new modeler from Barcelona and some Albatros photos

Hi to all and thanks a lot for accept my request.

My name is Fernando, i'm living at Barcelona - Spain and i'm a novel modeler. Last months i've finished the Albatros from Constructo manufacturer. This is an small ship but i think it's not very easy to start; i had a lot of problems with the hull, finally i had to Paint it, impossible to repair except dismount all planking. And about sails, i had to sew it instead other kits with the sails already made. For me, without any experience working Wood, it has been very difficult and sometimes i wanted to do a funeral viking with the sail!

Well at this moment is finished and i've started another ship, the Terror from OCCRE, as you can see both easy-to-intermediate level. I'll put photos of the Terror in a different thread. I'll ask you with my doubts in future and i'm sure you'll help me! and sorry with my english, it's very bad 😔 

For me, these models are the way to disconnect from work and burn the hours in this moment of quarantine, so the result for me itsn`t the main objetive,... well at least be able to show it to the friends 😄

Some photos of Albatros, if you make zoom you can see the defects of a novel modeler 😅

IMG_20200528_144200.jpg

IMG_20200528_144258.jpg

IMG_20200528_144231.jpg

Firstly, Welcome to MSW. Your model is beautiful, great job. I have been modeling for over twenty years and still learn something new with each build. The one thing I have never mastered is making sails. Yours look great. Have fun with the Terror.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, Geowolf. You did a really good job on the Albatross for your first wooden ship. You're off to a great start in this hobby.

My wife and I spent 10 days in Barcelona a few years ago and loved the city. We traveled on our own for 10 weeks in Spain. It was an amazing trip. My wife had not been back to Spain since she spent her junior year in college studying in Madrid in 1968. We hope to return for long stay once the world returns to normal.

I look forward to following your Terror build. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, BobG said:

Welcome to MSW, Geowolf. You did a really good job on the Albatross for your first wooden ship. You're off to a great start in this hobby.

My wife and I spent 10 days in Barcelona a few years ago and loved the city. We traveled on our own for 10 weeks in Spain. It was an amazing trip. My wife had not been back to Spain since she spent her junior year in college studying in Madrid in 1968. We hope to return for long stay once the world returns to normal.

I look forward to following your Terror build. 

hi Bob, thanks a lot for your comments! really i'm from another place in Spain, at the north near french border, but i'm living and working here for a lot of years. If you come here say me something, maybe you don't know the maritime museum at Drassanes and we can go and visit a schooner too:

https://www.mmb.cat/en/

https://www.mmb.cat/en/colleccions/vessels/schooner-santa-eulalia/

regards and keep safe 😄

Geowolf, welcome aboard. Your 1st model is very well done! Very nice. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

7 hours ago, Geowolf said:

hi Bob, thanks a lot for your comments! really i'm from another place in Spain, at the north near french border, but i'm living and working here for a lot of years. If you come here say me something, maybe you don't know the maritime museum at Drassanes and we can go and visit a schooner too:

Thank you, Geowolf. we would love to do that. We rented an apartment near the Sagrada Familia while we were in Barcelona and visited many of Barcelona's museums during our stay but, unfortunately, we didn't manage to visit the maritime museum. We will definitely do that on our next visit. 

Spain is such a magnificent country. We spent 10 days in Madrid and then visited Segovia and Toledo. Then we rented a car and drove to Albarracín, Cuenca and then up into the Pyrenees where we stayed for 9 days hiking many wonderful trails. From there we drove to Cadaqués and Barcelona. From Barcelona we took the train to Sevilla for 9 days and then to Granada for a week after which we rented a car and drove for 2 more weeks visiting many of the beautiful, small Pueblos Blancos de Andalucía. We ended our 10 week trip with 5 days in Córdoba.

We hope to take another long, road trip in Spain again. This time we would like to drive through northern Spain and then down through Portugal and the back through souther Spain to Barcelona. We hope the world returns to normal soon so we can begin traveling again.

Best regards,

Bob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

16 hours ago, BobG said:

Thank you, Geowolf. we would love to do that. We rented an apartment near the Sagrada Familia while we were in Barcelona and visited many of Barcelona's museums during our stay but, unfortunately, we didn't manage to visit the maritime museum. We will definitely do that on our next visit. 

Spain is such a magnificent country. We spent 10 days in Madrid and then visited Segovia and Toledo. Then we rented a car and drove to Albarracín, Cuenca and then up into the Pyrenees where we stayed for 9 days hiking many wonderful trails. From there we drove to Cadaqués and Barcelona. From Barcelona we took the train to Sevilla for 9 days and then to Granada for a week after which we rented a car and drove for 2 more weeks visiting many of the beautiful, small Pueblos Blancos de Andalucía. We ended our 10 week trip with 5 days in Córdoba.

We hope to take another long, road trip in Spain again. This time we would like to drive through northern Spain and then down through Portugal and the back through souther Spain to Barcelona. We hope the world returns to normal soon so we can begin traveling again.

Best regards,

Bob

hi Bob, 

really a great travel across Spain, surely you will be pleased the north (Galicia, Asturias), the food is fantastic! if you like the seafood and shellfish, it's a Paradise!

Sure when yo went to Pirineos (Ordesa, Monte Perdido, Guara...), you passed very close to the village where i was born 😄, it's the door to the Pirineos, what a coincidence!. All spanish territories are great, with different culture and geography, i like Andalucia and Galicia, i like a lot to eat Good things 😜 

this summer i was planned to go to Russia, i want to see St. Petersbourg, but all cancelled… at this moment i cant go even to mi village to see my parents (at this moment it's forbidden to go out from Barcelona to other territories), surely i need to wait one more month to go... maybe this viruses will be defeated soon, and we'll travel again to discover wonderful places!

thanks a lot for your comments and keep safe! regards, 

Hello Geowolf,

When we were in the Pyrenees we stayed in the villages of Broto and Erill La Vall. We hiked in the Ordesa and Aigüestortes National Parks. We loved it and want to go back.

All the best,

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Wow. I think you did well on this model. You should see my first ship. A Revell plastic model of the Cutty Sark. I was 12. I put together all the plastic parts, never painting one, in about a day. Took me another two months to do the rigging. Man that thing had a lot of rigging. 

I'm getting better, but nothing as nice as your Albatros. 

On 6/3/2020 at 5:20 AM, BobG said:

Hello Geowolf,

When we were in the Pyrenees we stayed in the villages of Broto and Erill La Vall. We hiked in the Ordesa and Aigüestortes National Parks. We loved it and want to go back.

All the best,

Hi Bob, i'm from Barbastro (Huesca) so you pass across or near my village!! 😁

I hope we can travel around the world soon!! 

regards,

15 hours ago, genocon said:

Wow. I think you did well on this model. You should see my first ship. A Revell plastic model of the Cutty Sark. I was 12. I put together all the plastic parts, never painting one, in about a day. Took me another two months to do the rigging. Man that thing had a lot of rigging. 

I'm getting better, but nothing as nice as your Albatros. 

thanks a lot genocon for your comments,

this models are a challenge, especially for the novels if they have no idea about wood construction, no tools, no room... the most important is no surrender and take another project, and improving each day! i'm seeing your beatiful models, your last Cutty Shark are very nice and clean, i love the planes the DC3 is wooonderful, a lot of work...

keep pushing!! regards,