Permission to come aboard...

PJG

Hello all...newbie to ship/boat models here but not to making little things. My primary focus is miniature replicas of historic buildings but I’m quickly learning a lot of the skills and techniques I’ve developed doing that lend themselves fairly well to my first attempt in at least a couple decades at a proper wooden boat model (MS New Bedford Whaleboat). I went with that particular kit as a result of one of my other hobbies (genealogy) and the fact that I actually thought it would be a nice, relaxing, breeze of a first build (famous last words). It turns out that a few of my long-lost ancestors from both mom and dad's lines put in time on whaling vessels (one on the Morgan) and this kit would be a nice little tribute. Thanks to the New Bedford Whaling Museum for their wonderfully extensive ship crew database and making it freely available online to the public. Don’t worry, there weren’t any officers in the family, just restless teenagers from Massachusetts and Connecticut who probably had few options and no clue what they’d gotten themselves into. I’ll bet they had some interesting stories to tell when they made it back to the farm in New England! But I digress. I tend to digress a lot. Just tell me to stop, My wife does it all the time. 

So, to make a long story longer, I stumbled on this forum recently while trying to find a source for realistic miniature rope (thanks Chuck) and also found a real gold mine of absurdly humble craftspeople whose willingness to share their experience/talents/knowledge with those of us a little further back on the learning curve is a real treat and greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can make a contribution myself every now and again. Looking forward to being a part of the crew...Patrick.

Welcome to MSW, Patick.  And feel free to start a build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone. I have a quick question that I'll ask here despite there almost certainly being better places to ask it (forgive the newbie). I'm probably 80% along on the whaleboat I mentioned in my intro. I started it last Fall with a hiatus or two along the way. The question is whether a build closer to completion than its beginning qualifies for a build log? I have taken photos along the way but not specifically intended to illustrate specific techniques. Most were taken with my phone and intended to show friends and family how it was coming along. There are already several good build logs here on this particular subject but I think my take on this boat represents an alternate approach that some might find useful/interesting. It's also possible that the final 20% of this build could take me as long as some of you knock off ships of the line!  

I would say start the log where you are. If you want to post any of the earlier pictures do that in the first post (or few) to give some back story to your current state (but I don’t think it’s necessary). 

PS - Welcome!

Welcome to Model Ship World Patrick.  I would be interested in seeing a build log of your New Bedford Whaleboat as I am always interested in seeing alternate ways of building ship models.  You may have something in your build log that will help other modelers on their builds.  I would also like to see some pictures of  your miniature historic buildings.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW!

I would also say to just start where you are at. If you happen to have pictures of the earlier work you can always post them up front, and if not, we can enjoy it from where you are. It is fairly common for people to stumble across logs well underway so that the beginnings are missed. Also, as you are already finding out, these take time and so I think it is better to go ahead and jump right into the logs and the community rather than waiting for the start of a new build.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your work!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks guys, sounds like a plan. You're right EJ_L, if I wait for my next build it could be a while! 

Hi Ryland...I'll attempt to post some of my historic building pics now. The subjects I choose are usually local (Albany and Rensselaer counties in NY) and almost always have some kind of personal connection. One represents the building as it appeared when built (Sherman farmhouse, Pittstown NY), one as it appeared shortly before it was torn down (early 18th century Albany Dutch home in the 1940s) ) and another "exploded" view to show how the Dutch used brick veneer on timber frames (Van Alen house, KInderhook NY). 

albanyHouse1.jpg

shermanHouse1.jpg

shermanHouse3.jpg

vanAlen1.jpg

vanAlen2.jpg

Wow!  You are a very skilled modeler. I love your work.  It reminds me of some of the homes at Colonial Williamsburg.  I cannot wait to see the work that you do on ship models.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

3 hours ago, PJG said:

The question is whether a build closer to completion than its beginning qualifies for a build log? I have taken photos along the way but not specifically intended to illustrate specific techniques. 

Indeed, you can do that.  

Also, your buildings can be upload in Shore Leave in the Non-Nautical area.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Ryland, druxey... and to mtaylor for pointing me in the right direction if I decide to post more building pics on the forum. I had a feeling there might be an appropriate place for them to live and that I'd end up putting them someplace else! Now on to that build log...

10 minutes ago, PJG said:

Thanks Ryland, druxey... and to mtaylor for pointing me in the right direction if I decide to post more building pics on the forum. I had a feeling there might be an appropriate place for them to live and that I'd end up putting them someplace else! Now on to that build log...

See my last post to you: in Shore Leave and Non-Nautical area.  In there are planes, cars, trains, buildings, etc.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello from a collection of small islands just south of Texas (there’s a storey there...)

As a new member here, I want to say please start a build log. Your model buildings are spectacular and so is your photography. So I’m sure your build log would be a worthy addition here. Something for others to aspire to and if nothing else it will definitely provide some nice pictures for us to all look at.

Welcome from another Upstate NYer ! Just down the road from you in Catskills area.  Been to Kinderhook and Pittstown a number of times.