From my furniture-making days, I've got lots of sanders, quarter sheet, 5" random orbit, belt etc. but I'm finding them too large for these small projects. What do you guys use and what would you recommend? I would prefer a cordless sander.

Thanks in advance

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

Besides a variety of handheld tiny sanding blocks I'd say the most popular power sanders I have seen mentioned are miniature versions of a disc sander and thickness sanders. I myself have just purchased a couple new power tools, a Proxxon FET table saw, and a WEN combo 1 x 30 belt and 5" disc sander. I really like the Byrnes disc sander, but the WEN was only $80 bucks. I do plan to get the Byrnes thickness sander down the road when I get more into scratch building. For now I can use full size tools at work to get small sheets of wood at the proper thickness and then cut them at home. I think the combo WEN sander will be very useful, both the disc and 1" belt.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

Matt

Do you have a model numbers for the Byrnes and the Wen sanders?
Thanks
ALAN

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

What kind of sanding operation are you looking at?  I use the Byrnes disc sander for most operations, and also have his thickness sander to sand down strips and sheets.  To sand down the first planking on my builds, I use a palm sander, followed by hand sanding.  I've used an oscillating spindle sander for inside curves on things like bulkheads.  I've sanded taper into masts and spars using a lathe.  I've also used sanding drums in my Dremel and micromoter.  None of these are cordless though.

Of course, there are people here who just use their hands and sanding blocks and have better outcomes than I can with these tools :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 minutes ago, English Rebel said:

Matt

Thanks
ALAN

Here is Jim Bynes' site:

https://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/

I wholeheartedly without reservation recommend his tools.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

As said, aside for a thickness sander, disk sander, and perhaps a sanding drum, there's little use for sanding machines in modeling. The thickness and disk sanders for modeling really have to be specialty machines designed to work to very close tolerances. The thickness sanders perform the same function as a thickness planer in full-scale woodworking and a disk sander for modeling has to have a very accurate table and miter gauge. These specialty modeling machines work to tolerances of .001 and don't come cheap. (Byrnes are really the only ones worth spending the money  on, IMHO.) Proxxon and MicroMark market all sorts of powered modeling tools, but most all are overkill for ship modeling. Modelers cut pieces with jeweler's saws, small chisels, and hobby knives and scalpels, rather than shaping wood with sandpaper. In many instances, a scraper is the better tool than sandpaper in any event. Given the size of the work, there's no need for full-size sanders. Many is the part that's been ruined by an over-aggressive powered sanding machine. Finish sanding on models is done with paper in the grit ranges of 320 to 600, which doesn't work so well with power sanders, anyway.

14 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Here is Jim Bynes' site:

https://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/

I wholeheartedly without reservation recommend his tools.  

Thanks Mike

Alan

1 minute ago, Bob Cleek said:

As said, aside for a thickness sander, disk sander, and perhaps a sanding drum, there's little use for sanding machines in modeling. The thickness and disk sanders for modeling really have to be specialty machines designed to work to very close tolerances. The thickness sanders perform the same function as a thickness planer in full-scale woodworking and a disk sander for modeling has to have a very accurate table and miter gauge. These specialty modeling machines work to tolerances of .001 and don't come cheap. (Byrnes are really the only ones worth spending the money  on, IMHO.) Proxxon and MicroMark market all sorts of powered modeling tools, but most all are overkill for ship modeling. Modelers cut pieces with jeweler's saws, small chisels, and hobby knives and scalpels, rather than shaping wood with sandpaper. In many instances, a scraper is the better tool than sandpaper in any event. Given the size of the work, there's no need for full-size sanders. Many is the part that's been ruined by an over-aggressive powered sanding machine. Finish sanding on models is done with paper in the grit ranges of 320 to 600, which doesn't work so well with power sanders, anyway.

Thanks Bob

Alan

23 minutes ago, English Rebel said:

Matt

Thanks
ALAN

Here is the link to Home Depot for the WEN, you can also get it on Amazon but it is slightly more expensive there. There are other models that have a horizontal 4-5" belt sander that is positioned as an edge sander. Other models have a 4 - 5" belt sander oriented horizontally but flat that also has a pivot point to raise it 90 degrees for a vertical belt sander. I felt the linked model was more beneficial for me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-1-in-x-30-in-Belt-Sander-with-5-in-Sanding-Disc-6515T/307873039

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

Perhaps exploring these will give you some idea of the tools available for this range of work.

I bought this under a Swedish company's brand name:
King Arthur's© Guinevere© Flexible Shaft
Heavy duty and definitely not cordless
Although the 1/3 HP motor that I use to drive it is CW/CCW  - this tool is not engineered for reverse rotation.
There are a variety of disks  1"  2"  3"
It also works with my preferred drums

Peachtree Woodworking Supply Inc
Sleeveless Sanding Drums

This sanding drum design eliminates the need to buy replacement sanding sleeves for your drum sander. Cut and fold any type of sheet sandpaper to size for the particular drum size you're using. A single sheet of sandpaper and instructions are included with each individual drum.

3/4" - 1" - 2" - 3"    2.5" @ Woodcraft    
if the rubber pad is removed the 3/4" becomes 1/2"  
there is a  3" that is 6" high  (the 4.5" high one is a waste)
I made a sanding table to mount these drums  ( no oscillating,  but everything I use it on has a continuously changing bevel, so I move the work. )

I dislike using sleeves.

Micro-Mark  has a line of a German company's DC - corded small hand tools

Micro-Make™ / MicroLux® Heavy-Duty Right Angle Disk Sander / Drill
Works well inside a larger scale hull.  pretty powerful,  has a chuck that can replace the disk for more tool options.

Micro-Make™ / MicroLux® Palm-Size Belt Sander
It did a job for me very quickly that would have otherwise been slow and difficult.  I had to hold it with a piece of wood to stop it throwing the belt.
It is a very aggressive tool.

Micro-Make™ / MicroLux® Orbital Sander Now with Hook and Loop System Sandpaper!
I have it, but have not used it yet.  I think I prefer hand sanding for the jobs it would do.

Micro-Make™ 3D Contour Sander
The sander version of a Norelco Triple Header shaver - I did not buy this,   I think my uses are too delicate to risk using it.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Are you asking only for bench sanders?  If small ones, Jim Rogers recommended a good one.  Also, I can recommend this small belt sander https://www.micromark.com/Cordless-Proxxon-Belt-Sander-with-Battery-and-Charger .  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Les here. I purchased a micro lux micro sander #81266 from MicroMark tools. If you require something for detail work this may be a good choice. I use mine regularly for removing glue build up in tight areas and paint bleed on trim. Best part is after you have used up the adhesive sanding pads you just go buy adhesive sheets for random orbital sanders and cut to size.