Proxxon FET blade

Can someone tell me what this type of blade is used for? 

69BF8515-F195-4A1A-AAE0-512BBF527C22.jpeg

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

I guess what I’m asking is these are blades for rip cuts and cross cuts. But I’m not sure what the blade above would be used for generally. Looks like it would be for wood only.

0898C314-775E-41FF-B570-B258481E2B9C.jpeg

FC817E0E-B93A-42A5-B172-9E13106CAC8A.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

Hi Voyageur,

The top blade is for cutting softwood,hardwood and plastics. It's ok and cuts fast and well,downside it tends to leave toothmarks. The second is for cutting nonferrous metals,softwood,hardwood,chipboard,plastics and glassfibre items etc. Can't comment as I don't have this one. The last one cuts the same items as the previous. I use this for cutting Pearwood and European Boxwood,leaves a nice smooth finish.  Hope this answers your question.

Dave :dancetl6:

3 hours ago, davyboy said:

Hi Voyageur,

The top blade is for cutting softwood,hardwood and plastics. It's ok and cuts fast and well,downside it tends to leave toothmarks. The second is for cutting nonferrous metals,softwood,hardwood,chipboard,plastics and glassfibre items etc. Can't comment as I don't have this one. The last one cuts the same items as the previous. I use this for cutting Pearwood and European Boxwood,leaves a nice smooth finish.  Hope this answers your question.

Yessir, thank you!

~ Aristotle 

The number of teeth is a factor. The fewer teeth, the thinner the wood to be cut.    I'm attaching a PDF on blade selection.  It's for the Byrnes saw and was done by a former wood supplier we had.  Even without having a Byrnes saw, it's very useful.

Byrnes Saw Operation.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark. That is just the information I need.

~ Aristotle 

• 1 month later...

I have a Proxxon FKS/E saw (with 10mm arbor) with several carbide tipped blades like the third one pictured. The problem with these blades is if you are cutting 1.5mm planks, over half of your material is going to end up in your vacuum cleaner. 

What blade does everyone recommend for cutting planks? 

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

The Malco saw Company provides blades of various sizes including the 0.03 kerf slitting blades.  

Also available from Byrnes Model Machines.  As to your Proxxon arbor size Mr Byrnes also has on the website the option for machining a blade adaptor 0.625" to 1"

5 hours ago, RussR said:

I have a Proxxon FKS/E saw (with 10mm arbor) with several carbide tipped blades like the third one pictured. The problem with these blades is if you are cutting 1.5mm planks, over half of your material is going to end up in your vacuum cleaner. 

What blade does everyone recommend for cutting planks? 

RussR

Hi RussR,the Proxxon 50mm blade #28020 has 100 teeth and is 0,5mm thick. It will do the job perfectly,I use one for plank cutting everytime.

5 hours ago, MEDDO said:

As to your Proxxon arbor size Mr Byrnes also has on the website the option for machining a blade adaptor 0.625" to 1"

That would be great but: my Proxxon has a 10mm arbor.

The Byrens adaptor is 0.625" to 1" (15.875mm to 25.4mm).

Thanks for the suggestion.

RussR 

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

1 hour ago, davyboy said:

Hi RussR,the Proxxon 50mm blade #28020 has 100 teeth and is 0,5mm thick. It will do the job perfectly,I use one for plank cutting everytime.

Thanks, I'll have to check them out.

RussR

FWIW, I have found this adapter to work with the 1/2" arbor on Malco blades and the Proxxon FET

Saw Blade Adapter

Malco  has $100 min order requirement, but their 3 " .02 blade for $15.43 is a lot better blade than the Proxxon branded blades..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon