New Member - Ranger, Spruce Goose, Tippecanoe, The Dinghy

Chuck L

So I started building Amati Ranger 20 years ago when I bought the model in Italy. With the pandemic keeping me quarantined at home, I committed myself to finish Ranger.  Once complete I had a Tippecanoe model which was a quick build as it only requires finishing the hull. So keeping with a nautical theme but wanted to build a balsa and tissue paper model, I built the Spruce Goose.  Then a neighbor advertised two Midwest Products kits which my wife grabbed for me. The Dinghy was barely started so I just finished building The Dinghy and painted her to match my old Dumas RC Hudson 36. So I do plan to add photos of the RC boat pulling her new dinghy in the future. (I'm waiting for rain to refill the lake and the temperature to drop below 90)  I've bought additional Midwest kits and am getting enjoyment of working down in my cool basement on these hot days. I am a sailor but again I'm waiting for rain to re-fill the lake and the temperate to drop before I enjoy my 16' scow again.

I will create a true build log when I start my next model.

IMG_0662.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

Welcome to Model Ship World Chuck.  I have moved your post to "New Member Introductions" and edited your topic.  You have some nice models and I look forward to seeing your progress on your next model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Chuck L, 

Warm :sign:.

Glad to see another person who built a Tippecanoe yacht.
I have the T37, which has been sailed a lot.

Have visit Will Lesh and seen his workshop. It's huge!

His daughter has become a professional competition sailor.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW, Chuck.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 8/4/2020 at 7:33 AM, Chuck L said:

does the site have any models of Australian skiffs? They look like a wild boat to ride and would make a neat model. 

I really don't know if there are models available, but your question prompted me to look here -

What a ride!

I like to get a skiff like that,  not as a model but real one.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

2 hours ago, Chuck L said:

That is a tremendous amount of sail area on a 16 ft boat.

Yes, but once upon a time it used to be even more extreme . . .

CRUISING SAILBOAT EVOLUTION: Early Trends in Yacht Design - Wave Train

Agreed. But back to models, I tried to find model skiffs - no kits, but I came up with this - http://www.ahssa.org.au/model-skiff-resurgance/

Unfortunately the most recent mention is 2013, so it looks like they might be languishing again. But there are some other good links on this site giving some history of the "two-footers". Perhaps you could get in touch with them - they might have plans etc  (if you're prepared to undertake a scratch rather than kit-build).

And just like the full-sized boats, sometimes it apparently got a bit over-exciting - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_foot_skiff

Steven

Thanks so much for the link to ahssa.org, they had some great photos and links to YouTube videos.  One video showed them launching a newly built wooden skiff which was beautiful. I also learned that instead of a tiller extension or hiking stick, they just use a rope on the end of the tiller. With a sailboats natural tendency to turn into the wind, you really don't need to push on the tiller to had up into the wind so a rope to pull allows you to hold course or head down and just let it go to head up into the wind (simple elegance).

Well when I feel skilled enough to try a scratch built, I think I will try to build a model of my Melges m-16 scow which I sail.

Thanks again!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Covid-5, my fifth model since the Pandemic started. This time the Chesapeake Flattie by Midwest Products.  The blue color I had available and I think it is the Caribbean meeting the Chesapeake Bay.  Anyway one day I challenged my son to make a boat in 30 minutes, when I was a kid we just cut a point into a piece of wood and raced them down a local stream.  So here is our fast and dirty plank boats, mine is the Tortoise (sail boat) while my sons is the rabbit (rubber band powered paddle). He gets the jump on me at the start but I win in the long haul.

So I have a few questions:

1) I can't seem to find my signature area of my profile to list completed projects and build logs. Do I need to be a member of NRG to get a signature section in my profile?

2) to create a finished project section, is this just a new topic with Finished in the title and various pictures attached?

I've been searching for new member instructions to post correctly.

Thanks

Chuck

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

I remember doing those "float boats" as a kid.  Had a lot of fun.

The only time you'd use "Finished" in a title is for a build log.

As for the signature...  top of the page where your name is, there's a little upside down triangle.  Click it and pick "Account Settings".  The Signature topic is located on the left hand side.  Click and you'll find it.

Hope this helps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work on your finished models.  You can post pictures of these in the Gallery section of the forum.  Here is a link to the Gallery forum: https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/

Each model should be shared in an album.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat