HMS Flirt 1772 by drumgerry - Vanguard Models - 1:64 Scale.

29 minutes ago, drumgerry said:

First planking finished!  I feel like there should be an award or something for getting to this point 😁

I agree! Congratulations getting through it, that’s quite the milestone in my opinion and you did a great job!

Well done Gerry!

That’s a great job on the first planking. I wouldn’t say you are slow - you clearly work steadily and carefully and the results show. You’ve produced a  perfect base for the second planking. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

When doing the first layer of planking I miscalculated how many planks had to fit into the space particularly at the stern where I had to use stealers to make up the gaps.  As a newbie it was my lack of understanding of the process.  Actually getting some practical planking experience it's a little clearer now in my feeble mind. 

So in anticipation of doing the second planking I feel I need a proper sense of the space I'm dealing with and how many planks need to go into it.   To that end I've measured the distance from the master plank down to the keel and marked a midpoint at various points along the hull.    I've used this as a guide to divide the hull into two approximate bands with tape (the lower edge of the tape marks the bottom of the top band).  The line that the planks will follow looks OK to me I think. 

I'll make up tick strips next for each band for 10 planks for the top band and 11 for the bottom.  Hopefully I'll end up with a neat and relatively even result.  Most of it's getting painted anyway so it doesn't really matter that much.  It's all part of the learning process for me though. 

20200921_223929.thumb.jpg.a9c12bec673416e64f3847d554595b61.jpg

Cheers, Gerry

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Glenn

Gerry decided to sell the part-finished project and i was able to grab a myself a bargain!

Not sure how to proceed with this as it was his build diary. Also not sure i can keep up his high standards lol

So, do i continue the build from here, or start a new diary linked to this one?

Any thoughts anyone?

Glad to see you will continue this build on a new build log. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild