Norwegian Sailing Pram by SkiBee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:12

The only problem I came across with the mast installation is that hole for the back stays was not 90deg to the halyard holes, halyard cleat and the leather chafing pad but I’m probably the only one that will notice.  Since I had added one wrap of sail cloth around the lower small diameter of the mast, it fit nice and snug into the Mast Step.

1842772586_Pic64.thumb.jpg.4d6c36942468d81c88347c5beaf9074b.jpg

On the forward stay line, I tried to whip the spice of the line, it looks good but was difficult to do with such fine line.  I had used some of the 0.3mm diameter thread for the whip.

2137903281_Pic62a.thumb.jpg.3ab35fbef63d06adb76ae3d92d7d83ff.jpg

For the remainder of the line splices, I used the alternate method in the instructions and I think it looked just fine.

969788748_Pic65a.thumb.jpg.df522865ae058e7c055b57e890d2a2c4.jpg113831643_Pic63a.thumb.jpg.2bc57b48e9c5fca75cbe78c56e2bc549.jpg

1728847823_Pic61a.thumb.jpg.05f281edcb9fd4ad4ad4a47d0d3030c7.jpg

Edited by SkiBee

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

On 10/22/2020 at 2:40 PM, SkiBee said:

I bought a small Stanley Wood Plane to use on the oars, spars and mast.  I just sanded the oars on the Grand Banks Dory, I did a good job but I wanted to try a plane this time.  The plane was great on the oars, to round (octagon) the shaft and to reduce the thickness on the blade. I’m GLAD I tried the plane; it worked a lot better then sanding the blade. 

Nice progress! I'm enjoying your build. Can you tell me which Stanley plane you used for the oars? The ones I've seen all look too big for this type of woodworking. I'm building similar oars and they are turning out to be quite a pain so any tips would be appreciated.

Look for a "Small Trimming Plane"  or a micro plane, they are available from any hardware store or online.  Good luck on your oars.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

Finishing attaching the sail to the spars.  This went well and I found out that it does help to put a little glue on each half hitch while lacing the sail to the gaff spar. 

1074689883_Pic71.thumb.jpg.117098d18d91109312e1c2e6077be794.jpg1700287158_Pic70.thumb.jpg.8a624c5224f0b421a56779c85e584090.jpg

2138334951_Pic69.thumb.jpg.a35c895a511799867e4a77971e48d18a.jpg161342876_Pic68.thumb.jpg.54c312305473c94c19d5bbe619171803.jpg

While the glue on the knots was drying, I went to build up the traveler but found out that another part was missing from the kit, the sheet block.  I reviewed the two parts lists and neither one had the block on it.  So while I wait for Model Expo sends me a block, I’ll go work on a plastic Spitfire plane model.

I received the block and reduced the size like the instructions recommended.  Then put it all together and finished.

I do think this is a Great second build following the Grand Banks Dory for us beginners, I would rate idea a 5 out of 5.  However, Model Shipways does need to improve the instructions with more up-close pictures of the build so we beginners can understand the detail better.  And the most important, they DO need to add a couple of views of to-scale drawings similar to what they did in the Dory instructions.  Until they improve the instructions, I would rate this model a 2 out of 5 for beginners due to the lack of detail in the instructions.

1231846287_Pic72x.thumb.jpg.6b1f08a8aed7de0a743aa950363b4449.jpg126802365_Pic74.thumb.jpg.0359095bac96ff4fa446df9ad3217da0.jpg1146892501_Pic75.thumb.jpg.49bcfc4b5fd6873fced640b8254a91a1.jpg779234346_Pic76.thumb.jpg.b2825e183939d98668c564b0d6c91dce.jpg

Outstanding model SkiBee!! I am working on the same build and find your comments and pictures extremely helpful. I totally agree with your conclusions:

On 11/6/2020 at 2:56 PM, SkiBee said:

they DO need to add a couple of views of to-scale drawings similar to what they did in the Dory instructions.  Until they improve the instructions, I would rate this model a 2 out of 5 for beginners due to the lack of detail in the instructions.

Great job SkiBee! 

A few thoughts on your conclusions:  I am currently building this model, and am finding that the shortcomings, while frustrating, are perhaps the "next step" in the process of learning model shipbuilding.  The Grand Banks Dory was excellent in it's instructions and the parts that were included.  The Sailing Pram had enough ambiguity/mistakes/missing pieces that it forces you to really think through the build process and improvise - like the mis-marked bevel lines on the hull planking, the need to bevel the mast to create a square cross section before rounding, mast head drawing vs instructions, and the missing block.  I expect that by the time I get to the Constitution, there will be a lot of this.

I did ask Model Expo to correct the plank bevel lines or at least include an errata sheet for future sales of the Pram, and they responded that they already have.

Best wishes on your future as a shipwright!  Your co-apprentice, Bob

Midshipman 3/c (Ret.) Bob

Current Build:      Model Shipways USS Constitution

Previous Builds:  Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Model Shipways Norwegian Sailing Pram

Model Shipways 18th Century Long Boat

bthoe - Thanks

Don't disagree with your assessment, I did learn a lot from this second in a series build.  A number of issues are those with an initial issue (beta version), such as the different parts list and missing parts, plank bevel lines, and such.  That is were the strength of build logs come in, to help other builders with issues we find and/or recommendations.

However, I don't think some of my frustrations could have easily been taken care of with a to scale drawing.

Keep on building

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 4:19 PM, SkiBee said:

37995653_Pic7.thumb.jpg.a7d4e4ef916f03289de48c83fdfc7b22.jpg

Hey SkiBee! Glad to have this log as a reference! Great write-up.

I had a question for ya: in the instruction photos, on pg. 8, the lower stern transom is shown. The transom knee in that photo doesn't reach the top (beveled edge) of the stern transom. When I assemble mine, it does - just like what you have in your photo above. 

What gives? This is hanging me up more than it should, probably... Was the photo in the instructions of an earlier prototype build, maybe?

@Cousin Teapot I sent you a message and some Pic's of the Stern Transom and Knee.  The above picture is the bow transom. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@Raymond Morris thanks, let me know if you have any questions 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm going to be starting this build very soon and I thank you for sharing your struggles and frustrations, I will be wary as I proceed. Having said that I hope I am as successful as you it looks great.

• 2 months later...

SkiBee - I can't thank you enough for posting most of the steps of your build of the Norwegian Sailing Pram. I'm starting the same build after I just finished the Dory build. Due to not having scale plans, and problems with contradictions in the instruction manual, I was about to give up with this build.

Just in time I ran across this blog site and your posting, and I was able to regain my confidence and desire to complete this build.

I was hoping to learn to build all 3 beginner models so I could move on to larger ships, but the build manuals, and instructions leave a lot to be desired.

It is my hopes that you or someone else who builds the 3rd build, the Lobster Smack will post the complete build in the same manner as you have with the Pram build. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

The Dory was helpful, but more so was and is SkiBee’s s Norwegian Sailing Pram building log.  Thank you SkiBee.

Will start to clean up the planking on my Norwegian Sailing Pram to make it look nice and clean then head over to the Skeg, Bilge Keels, and daggerboard.

Thanks again.