PILAR by Pat Matthews - Radio - Hemingway's Pilar in 1:12

PILAR build thread... coming soon to a forum near here.

Completed model gallery: https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2157-hemingways-pilar-in-112/

Scratch built in 1:12 from photos and one original sales brochure. 

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

Designed in CAD starting in 2015. Made a few changes... since 2015, I built a whole new hull and a whole new cabin, tossing the previous versions. Accurate plans don't exist, but overall dimensions are known, and there's a decent profile from a sale brochure for Wheeler Playmates. 

a20181006_211008.jpg

displ.jpg

c.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

Most of the model is hand built from wood of course... but certain components were printed- either in plastic, or in wax for investment casting in bronze. Such as the struts and rudder footing. The footing works with the extended wood  skeg, a common design layout in the 20's and 30's. This casting is missing from the boat at Finca Vigia, which leads some modelers to make some odd drive arrangements. If only they knew...

Hemingway had Wheeler make several well known modifications to Pilar, including the installation of an auxiliary 4 cylinder Lycoming for trolling. There is no evidence of this on the boat now, so this is also omitted from models.

footing.jpg

g20181110_204348.jpg

g20181110_204644.jpg

n15900916405021.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

Source material: Many many photos, both historical and from tourists to Finca Vigia. Many of these nice folks post high resolution images on Flickr and elsewhere- very helpful, thanks! There's also one page from a Wheeler brochure showing the profile, but with a somewhat different cabin... still helpful for working out basic dimensions.

The grandson of Wheeler went to Cuba and measured Pilar in order to develop a modern take on the boat. But he won't share, I tried.

And yes I know about the several fake Pilars, none are useful for determining original features.

There's a Popular Boating issue from 1957 that has some good (and some imagined) information. 

PopBoat1a.jpg

brochure.JPG

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

The most important part of the boat- the fighting chair. Brass parts aged in vinegar.

The figures were masterfully sculpted digitally and 3d printed by Luis Hidalgo, aka "Holden8702", of Spain.  

v20200819_104756.jpg

u15965990881840.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

6 hours ago, Patrick Matthews said:

Completed model gallery

Magnificent model! Simply beautiful and outstanding craftsmanship. Congratulations! 

I'd love to see a video of her actually running in the water.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Cabin is constructed of ply and basswood, with all exposed wood done in cherry. The real boat appears to have been built with mahogany, but I find that cherry "works" better, and has a better scale grain appearance. The sides are built up as a 3d jigsaw puzzle, as many as 3 layers deep. They hang down straight like a curtain from the deck intersection, but angle inwards at 2° from that line up, while also following the sheer... a bit tricky.
The cabin roofs are covered with shirt cloth to simulate canvas. The cloth is secured with water based polyurethane, painted, and clear coated. The weave still shows through, like painted canvas.

The cherry is all stained with Minwax "Gunstock", and clear coated with lacquer. Warning: Most all of my cherry stained a very nice color, but occasional pieces turned orange, yuk. Always test!

o20200529_212211.jpg

I changed my mind after this shot and added the forward cockpit.

q20200627_141932.jpg

Roof beams

q20200628_134137.jpg

First piece of cloth installed

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

• 2 months later...

Pat:

Thought you and others who followed this great build would like to see that Hemingway's boat is being revived in a new design.  This is from the Dec./Jan. issue of Professional BoatBuilder magazine (a Wooden Boat publication).

Kurt

boat001.jpg

boat002.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks Kurt.

Indeed, and Wes Wheeler has big hopes for it. While he has detailed measurements from the original Pilar, the new boat differs in many significant ways... just as with the movie "replica" previously featured in Wooden Boat, it should not be used as a reference for models of the original Pilar. Much like BMW's version of the Mini vs. the original Mini Cooper!

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

• 1 year later...
I'm often asked about drawings for my 1:12 scale model of Pilar (Hemingway's boat), and I always reply with my sob story:
a) I lost the files when I retired and lost access to my work CAD system (true), and
b) it's as much work to create shareable drawings as it is to build the physical model (true).

But now I am recovering the CAD model from digital debris I have laying around, and am preparing shareable model files. The first part, the hull framing, is now posted for free download at my GrabCAD page:
The 3D STEP file is there, as well as full (model) size 2D drawings in PDF format. Those print out on ANSI "E" sheets, you need 36" wide paper for that. The images here are reduced! Use the downloadable PDFs instead.
Cabin and additional fittings will follow in good time.

The JPGs below are reduced, get the full size PDFs at the GrabCAD page.

081522a.JPG

frames1.JPG

frames2.JPG

frames3.JPG

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

Another update- the entire PILAR 3D model is now on GrabCAD, along with 2D drawings for the cabin structure. I may be adding more 2D detail drawings, but the underlying geometry is all there now in the 3D STEP file.

Take the 3D model for a spin at GrabCAD! 
https://grabcad.com/library/pilar-model-in-1-12-scale-1

image.thumb.png.20f3f59ccf6c88744a3973dd992b485c.png

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!