Sparky21

Thank you form allowing me to join the group. I am a retired Electrician

A number of years ago my family gave me a couple of wooden boat kits. Last year I finally decided to start putting them together. The first model was a Midwest "The Dinghy" Second was the The Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack
Many hours of frustration huge learning curve.  

I have been working on the  18th Centry LongBoat by Shipways.464973720_TheDinghy.thumb.jpg.4c7e984b77c3cb6637d6881a75bb4204.jpg242850512_MuscongusBayLobsterSmack.thumb.jpg.f84caa4f9cd326429ebd4a8ecbc2fb25.jpg1497887801_18thCenturyLongboat1750-1760.thumb.jpg.13fc277728797a69c63f2f870d59303d.jpg s. 

Welcome to Model Ship World Sparky.  Thanks for sharing pictures of your past builds.  Your models look very nice and skillfully constructed.  What do you plan to build after completing your Longboat?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

@Ryland Craze Thank you for your comments, I have learned a tremendous amount while building the Longboat.   Many mistakes, mishaps and successes. 

Not sure of what I be building next.  I have 2 Midwest models, SharpieSchooner and the Peterborro Canoe.  Also I have Chris Craft 1938 27' Triple Cockpit Barrel Back.   I just ordered the Elidir Thames River Steam Boat Wood Model Kit by Constructo.  What's your thoughts as I am a novice builder.

David

Nice models Sparky

And

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

David, The 18th Century Longboat is not the easiest model to build.  Based on the pictures you posted, I do not think you would have a problem building any of the kits you mentioned.  It sounds like you have learned a lot and improved your skills from your previous builds.  I would build whatever kit that appeals to you the most.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

David, welcome to MSW. One of the best things you can do is to start a build log - even for a model in progress, it's a great way to get help and advice - and encouragement. The instructions are here:  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Those models look very good. However steep the learning curve may have been, you are already producing creditable models. Keep up the good work, and don't fail to ask questions if you need assistance. The people here are very friendly and helpful, and there's a lot of expertise freely available.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello  David

Yet another warm welcome from Down Under, this time from sunny Perth.  Great looking models indeed!  Yet to start on my first wood ship build coming from a range of model building backgrounds.  If I can do close to what I see with yours, then I will be a happy quokka.

Peter

Edited by peterbrowne

Good to have you on board David, and the models look good.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold