HM Cutter Alert by drobinson02199 - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64

I have built the Amati Revenge and Fly from the Victory Models series, and both were terrific builds with outstanding kit quality.  These were designed by Chris Watton, so when I saw that he had formed his own modeling company, Vanguard Models, I really wanted to try one to see how the kit quality and ship appearance compared.

Opening the box, the kit quality looks outstanding.  Everything neatly packed and shrink-wrapped, and the wood looks great.  The manual is also something to behold:  large lie-flat with heavy pages and lots of 4-color pictures and drawings.  I'm looking forward to starting this one and will post a log as I go.

Regards,

David

In the Box 1.jpg

In the Box 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Have partially finished the hull structure.  Some more to go.

The ruler is 300mm long and gives you a sense of the size of this ship.

Regards,

David

Hull Structure Partial.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Are you considering planking the lower deck? I wish that I had, even if only a small amount can be seen (from the right angle).

23 minutes ago, Sooty said:

and it will likely be my next build!

It is a great build if you end up taking it on!

VTHokiEE:

Timely question.  I hadn't planned to.  What is the angle -- through the hatchways?  All of them or just one?

I'm also going to leave the hull natural vs. painting it white.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

23 minutes ago, drobinson02199 said:

Timely question.  I hadn't planned to.  What is the angle -- through the hatchways?  All of them or just one?

Built as designed you’d have to be pretty much directly overhead to see down onto a planked sub deck on all of them. The only real reason to plank the sub deck would be to modify the build and replace one of the gratings with a ladder. I had briefly considered leaving one open and adding a ladder but gave up on that idea because I didn’t think of planking earlier.

When I was adding the skylight and grating in the aft I realized that the false keel runs directly through the center of them. This is probably not visible very well either at the end, but at the time I was installing the fittings I wished I had trimmed it down (but again now I don’t really think it matters). 

Thanks.  Based on that I think I'll skip planking it.  

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Here's more of the hull structure.

Regards,

David

Hull Structure 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The upper deck is now mounted.  One issue I had is that the rear flanges are very fragile, and before I mounted the deck I set the boat down on its stern and they all snapped off.  So I glued them back on, paying attention to the angle, and then glued on the rear deck.

One is missing, because I couldn't find it after it snapped off, but I've looked ahead and it won't matter to the build.  

So that's something to be careful of when building this model.

Regards,

David

Deck Mounted.jpg

Rear Support.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

It is a lovely kit, building it is an enjoyable journey and I especially appreciated the thoughtfulness of its design. There is quite a large gap between two of the bulkheads - I think 4 and 5 - and care needs to be taken when planking there to avoid a flat patch in the hull shape. I saw that one other builder packed it out with balsa block to maintain the curve.

The false deck includes precut holes for the deck ringbolts but the manual makes no mention of how to transfer these through the deck planking, which is something to think about.

Anyway, enjoy the build!

First planking underway.

Regards,

David

First Planking Start.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Except for the top rail, first planking is done.

I experience hull planking as an existential art form.  You never quite know what pattern you're going to end up with.  This one reflects my continued use of side-bending (with the help of my steamer) until I finally threw in the towel and let the planks run.

The result is the most interesting planking pattern I've ended up with to date.

Regards,

David

First Planking 1.jpg

First Planking 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've filled, sanded and varnished the first planking, and done some work on the stern.  The diagonal planks you see at the stern are the pear wood that will be used for the second planking (which is next).  As I mentioned earlier, I will probably not paint the hull white as I really like the look of the finished wood.

Regards,
David

First Planking Sanded 1.jpg

First Planking Sanded 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Started on the second planking.  The pear wood for that installs very easily and lies flat.

Regards,

David

Second Planking Start.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Second planking done, sanded and first coat of varnish applied.  The pear wood Chris Watton used on this ship reminds me of the Tanganyika wood he used on the Revenge.

Regards,

David

Second Planking 1.jpg

Second Planking 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

One option when you buy this model is to get a pre-etched deck (so you don't have to plank it), and I took that.

In the photos, you can see the deck on the laser-cut sheet, and then mounted on the ship.

The manual reads as if you are planking the deck, and it has the side bulwarks planked before deck planking, and then painted red after.  When you use the pre-etched deck you really need to plank the bulwarks after you mount it.  So you can see that at this point they aren't planked yet.

Further, if I paint the side bulwarks after I plank them, I'll need to do a lot of careful masking around a curved bulwark (this is how the manual reads), but what I think I'll do instead is pre-paint the lower planks that run along the deck, which will give a nice finish and obviate the masking.

Etched Deck 1.jpg

Etched Deck 2.jpg

Etched Deck 3.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

That looks GORGEOUS, and the margin plank is simply superb. Though the grain/shade continuity kind of gives it away. Perhaps a couple of shades of very diluted stain over random planks would break it up? Then again, usually things like that show up a lot more prominently on photos and it may be hardly noticeable to the naked eye.

Finished  planking and painting the inside bulwarks.  The manual calls for the 1x4 second planking strips for the inside bulwark planking, which I used, but for the short piece across the rear I used a 1x5 first planking strip, because the strip width fits better.

Regards,

David

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Gunports cut and painted and bulwark tops installed.

Regards,

David

Gunports 2.jpg

Gunports 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Main wale now added.

Regards,

David

Main Wale.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Stern transom assembled, painted and installed.

Regards,

David

Stern Transom.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I am just catching up on this. That is a good looking boat, those colours really pop with the wood.

Good job, looking forward to what happens next.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...

Tree Rail and Timberheads installed and painted.

All of the posts have to be sanded down to fit in the slots in the railings.  I also found that it's best to install the posts in the top railing one at a time, align the first post and glue it, then trim the rail, then the next post and align that with the slot, glue it to the top, and so on.  That way all of the posts align when you finally glue it down to the lower rail.

Regards,

David

Tree Rail & Timberheads 1.jpg

Tree Rail & Timberheads 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Added the catheads and all of the scrollwork.  Some building notes:

• The hawse hole pieces next to the catheads are cut so that they fit perfectly -- if you fit them backwards from the way the manual says.  So I had to sand down the bottom edges to get them to fit properly.
  • The manual says to paint the scrollwork yellow.  This is the same treatment (and same instruction) that Chris Watton used on the HMS Fly, which I also built.  I love the look of brass, and don't see the point in painting it yellow -- so I left it plain (as I did on the Fly).

Regards,

David

Scrollwork 1.jpg

Scrollwork 2.jpg

Scrollwork 3.jpg

Scrollwork 4.jpg

Scrollwork 5.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Shot racks installed.  I put the shot into the racks before installing them, and I would highly recommend that.

This will be my last post for a while -- going south for some warm weather!

Regards,

David

Shot Racks.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

1 hour ago, drobinson02199 said:

going south for some warm weather

That sounds just terrific! Any open positions?

Kidding aside, your doing a good job with Cheerful. Such a nice little kit.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 3 months later...

So my last post was January 2 just before I headed south to Florida for a few months, but now I'm back and have turned to the Alert again.

Pictures here of the rudder and tiller, the bow waterline decorations, and the channels and stern steps.

Regards,

David

Rudder.jpg

Tiller.jpg

Bow Waterline Level Markers.jpg

Channels and Steps.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area