HM Cutter Alert by drobinson02199 - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64

Deck fittings built and installed.

Regards,

David

Deck Fittings.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

I have now completed work on the hull.  Added:

• Deadeyes on channels
  • Cannons
  • Stanchions and railing
  • Anchor cable
  • Some side rigging

The manual says to wait to rig the anchors until the other rigging is complete (makes sense), but I installed the anchor cable across the deck and through the hawse because it would be tough to get at after the mast rigging is up.  You can see the excess at the bow held with paper clips for later attachment to the anchors.

Next step is the mast and yards.

Regards,

David

Finhull 1.jpg

Finhull 2.jpg

Finhull 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

• 2 weeks later...

Mast is up and four shrouds rigged.  There are two more shrouds on each side, but the ratlines only go across the first four, so easier to do the ratlines next before I put up the other two shrouds.

Regards,

David

Mast & Shrouds 1.jpg

Mast & Shrouds 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Ratlines are now done.  They are done in a natural thread, and then dyed black.

Now I can rig the last two shrouds on each side.

Regards,

David

Ratlines.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Remaining two shrouds rigged on each side -- they don't get ratlines.

Also installed the shroud cleats.  I haven't seen anything like these on other ships I've built, and I think they are kind of cool.  The manual says paint them black, but as with the hull-mounted cleats, I left them unpainted and I think they will show better this way.  Nothing is actually rigged to them in the finished model.

Regards,

David

Shrouds.jpg

Shroud Cleats.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

David, you're doing a fine job with the rigging.

The ratlines looks absolutely smashing, nice and even all the way. 

Well done!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hakan:

Thanks for the comment on my ratlines.  I use a homemade jig that helps me keep the spacing uniform and the ratlines level.  I have included a couple of pictures below.  I find that I make a new jig for each ship because the spacing varies.

Regards,

David

Jig 1.jpg

Jig 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Installed the bowsprit and side rigging for it.

The stays on each side of the bowsprit are the same thread that was specified for the shrouds.  When it's under tension, it twists.  So if you rig the blocks loose all the way (the way you'd do with a deadeye) and then tighten them, the block on the stay spins and the rigging between the blocks twists -- bad look.

The way I solved it was to attach the thin thread to the eyebolt on the block attached to the stay, pass it through the block at the hull only, and then tension it.  That causes the stay block to twist, and if you hold the twist there and then finish rigging the thin thread back through the block on the stay, the rigging aligns when you re-tension it and looks as you see in the picture.  But it took some work to figure out a solution.

Regards,

David

Bowsprit 1.jpg

Bowsprit 2.jpg

Bowsprit 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Yards are now up, with sheets rigged to two of them.

Regards,

David

Yards.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've completed all of the stays.  Some nice rigging at the bow.

As I noted earlier, the heavier black threads twist when under tension, so the trick with those is to pre-tension them and then rig the blocks to other blocks.  That keeps things straight when under tension.

Regards,

David

Stays 1.jpg

Stays 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Alert is finished!  Nice kit from Vanguard Models and Chris Watton.

A set of photos is in the Kit-Built Ship Gallery.

Regards,

David

Alert 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

Hello David, I'm very interested in building this model after I finish my Bounty launch. Your build is beautiful. One question... I noticed the cannons are not rigged. Any particular reason? Does the kit not come with the blocks and cordage to rig them?

Thanks!

Hi Killickthere:

I don't have my manual any more to check, but I just looked at the pictures on the Vanguard site and they are not rigged on the model pictured.  But there are eyebolts on each side of the cannon carriages for rigging, which I did install, so you can certainly do it yourself if you have some spare hardware -- and there may be enough spares in the kit to do it.  I still have eyebolts left over (they are photo-etched brass).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 1 month later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me