Rope sizes

DaveBaxt

I have almost completed my first model the St Canute without too much trouble although it too k a while to get the hang of the planking but after seeing Chucks videos I started to get the hang of it and din,t make too bad a job of it. My next ship is the Bounty made by Amati. Which is a whole new ball game. This will be my first attempt at rigging and considering using black thread for this. Not sure what the time scale is needed for stretching the thread prior to using it , however as I am hoping to start some time in the new year I thought about buying the fixed rigging rope from Chuck as this does not require stretching. However I have very little idea of what sizes I would need for this or how much. Also as I live in the uk ,I would prefer to order more than is required rather than too little. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Best regards Save Baxter

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Yeah you are correct .I was supplied with Amati  thread but thought it would require stretching.. You say when you used their thread it did not require stretching so perhaps I will be ok? You also mentioned making some rope from the Amati thread. Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question but why would this be required? Thanks for your input.

To make your own line, you need a rope walk.  Use the key words "rope walk" and separate search for "ropewalk".  You'll get quite few hits for everything from a simple yet very useful one from Chuck (Syren Model Company) all the way up to some powered types.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Dave,

Aside from the kit containing the rope which is probably a good way to go,  why would you want to use black?  Standing rigging should be a dark brown as it was typically coated with Stockholm tar and the running rigging would be tan.   Just wondering 😀

If you want to go with rope from Syren or some other supplier, or make your own,  you can use Lees Masting and Rigging tables as well as the chart available here at MSW prepared by Dan Vadas which I believe was based on Lees ratios and will give you the rope circumference of every line.  At the scales we normally work with, the only way to get exact circumferences for every line is to make your own, but there are so many that are close in size, 5 to 10 sizes would probably be more than enough depending on the vessel and scale.   It all starts with ratios compared to the length of the main mast.  Dan's information is really good except for  ships from 1670 to 1711 as he used the wrong calculation for the length of the main mast.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Wow This is getting even more complicated than I first thought . Just when I thought I was getting to think I had it figured out. Thanks for your input, guys. Looks like I need to do a bit more home work (study).

Regards the colour of standing rigging, I am not a 100% sure but I believe the supplied with the kit was black but will take another look. However dark brown would be fine by me. 

Perhaps as this will be my first attempt at rigging and only my second attempt at building a model from wood ,maybe it would be a good idea to stick with the rope that is supplied but will definately take a look at the rope walk and see if I have the required thickness from the charts. Thanks again for all your input. Regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

At some point consider having a go making your own rope walk and rope. It can be made inexpensively from whatever left over materials or things bought cheaply. It is an art on its own and great fun. 

And yes, making rope although the kit alteady provided it sounds silly, but it was like this: I have a corel-kit, providing 3!sizes. That didn’t eork out: too little variation, so I decided to take the plunge, took the aforemdntioned table, bought a number of sizes (amati, as that was what the shop sold), and started. I missed however the largest size, and made that one myself, usung an improvised rope walk build from lego-parts.

You can make your life as simple or complicated in this hobby. That is the fun of it. (My private problem: the complicated route takes more time than I have available :( )

Jan

1 hour ago, amateur said:

And yes, making rope although the kit alteady provided it sounds silly, but it was like this: I have a corel-kit, providing 3!sizes. That didn’t eork out: too little variation, so I decided to take the plunge, took the aforemdntioned table, bought a number of sizes (amati, as that was what the shop sold), and started. I missed however the largest size, and made that one myself, usung an improvised rope walk build from lego-parts.

You can make your life as simple or complicated in this hobby. That is the fun of it. (My private problem: the complicated route takes more time than I have available :( )

Jan

Hello Jan and thanks for your input. When you used the Amatirope, did it require stretching and I liked your remark about it can make life as simple or complicated as you like. It has definately been a steep learning curve. I question when making your own rope .Do you use rope you already have to make the new rope or start from scratch and how do you calculate  what diameter rope will produce the required diameter rope. Hope I am making sense and not a daft question. Best regards Dave

I needed a cable, and cables are made from three separate ropes. 

Normale ropes should be made from single yarns..

The thickness needed can be computed, but has a large trial and error in them. 

Amati rope has some stretch, but it required no real stretching. What I did not like in the amati rope, was that especially the smaller sizes were not so clearly defined: you can't see the separate strings that makes up the rope. 

Jan

3 hours ago, amateur said:

I needed a cable, and cables are made from three separate ropes. 

Normale ropes should be made from single yarns..

The thickness needed can be computed, but has a large trial and error in them. 

Amati rope has some stretch, but it required no real stretching. What I did not like in the amati rope, was that especially the smaller sizes were not so clearly defined: you can't see the separate strings that makes up the rope. 

Jan

This was one of the reasons I thought about buy a different rope instead of going with the Amity. As this could work out expensive ,thought I would just replace the standing rigging. I also thought as this is my first ship with rigging perhaps I should just go with the Amity just so I can compare it with other model suppliers . I am planning picking models from different makes just so I can compare how good/bad they are,unless someone does not recomend a particular kit. My next model I was thinking of the Endeavour made by Caldercraft.Just a thought but will get some input first.

Since you are a relative newcomer to our fascinating hobby, I offer a different opinion.  

You are building a kit model and intend to move on to more projects later.  Whenever you build a model from a kit you are limited to the kit designer’s decisions as well as manufacturing limitations necessary to mass produce the kit.

I suggest that you stop worrying about the kit supplied rigging line and instead focus on building the hull and deck furniture.  When you are finished with this, if you still want to super detail the model then you can replace the kit supplied line with something else.  One the other hand if you do a good job using the kit supplied line you can still be proud of your accomplishment and will have gained experience to move on to your next project.

IMHO it’s premature to worry about the rigging line at this point.

Roger

And not to make things anymore complicated for you, but you should understand the verb "serving" where applied to shrouds, lanyards and other purposed ropes.  It involves wrapping a specific rope with a thinner line to protect it from chafing.  This wrapping can be done manually or with a "machine".   Not an expert here, so I will let others expand on the concept or you can go exploring.  Good luck!

John

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Thanks for all you input guys and some good points worth considering. Before I start building my next Ship. I will try and start a log ,hopefully that we if I have any issues I can get help before making too many mistakes.