Newer to Model Building, requesting assistance.

histprof1066

Hi there, 

I am newer to model ship building, having built mostly military models (of a plastic nature) and only an intermediate kit by Billing Boats. I have recently acquired a vintage model by Billing - a NR 440 Wasa and was looking for advice. This is not the model I was expecting to put together when I found it, the gallery is not correct, the decking is simply a painted mahogany board, and the directions for the decor are non existent apart from telling me to carve from a wooden block. I haven't tools to carve little figurines or figureheads but at the same time, I do not want to put a partial model together either. Is there anybody that has put this kit together that can provide advice on how best to proceed given my current limitations? 

Edited by histprof1066

Welcome to MSW.  Could you edit your post and use a .jpg image for your photos?   Not many of us have an app/program that can display a heic image.

Also you might consider doing an introduction here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Wasa has a lot of decorations.  I would like to build one eventually.  It is on my bucket list.

I carved my figureheads and decorations for my last two models with a no. 11 scalpel.  Some like to use a dremel for carving.

Since it sounds like you are on your own for the decorations anyways, sculpey works very well for sculpting decorations.  That’s actually something that I would like to learn to do.

The intro to carving group here is a wonderful tutorial and a great way to learn.  That is how I learned (and I am still learning).

Realistically speaking, it sounds difficult, and it looks intimidating, but the hardest part about it is just deciding to try.

You should make a build log.  Ask lots of questions.  The people on this forum are awesome.  They have helped me immensely.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

23 hours ago, histprof1066 said:

Is there anybody that has put this kit together that can provide advice on how best to proceed given my current limitations? 

Do a search for build logs of the Billings Vasa kit here.  There are more than one.  Should help you just by looking at the logs but feel free to ask questions.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Billing kits used to come in 2 parts. 1 with the wooden parts and 1 with the accessories.
This is an old kit model N ° 440, the later Vasa kit has N ° 490.

I have no idea whether a second part of this old N°440 model is available

( reed the comment in this link)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wasa-wooden-model-boat-building-kit-251836846

It's going to be a challenge
But I think you're going to put in a lot of effort and spend more money than just buying and building the 490 Kit.

But that's just my idea

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

50 minutes ago, histprof1066 said:

Where would I find that type of information for sculptures to input into a 3D printer? 

It is doubtful that the 3D files for printing are already available.

You would be looking at a whole nother' project in 3D modeling to make that happen.

As Backer alluded to, getting someone else to do this would probably cost a lot more than another kit.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I don’t really know much about 3D printing.  I haven’t done anything with it.  But I agree with the people above and say that 3D printed parts are probably going to be custom jobs and therefore not cheap.

I took a look at kit No. 440 on EBay.  It’s a neat little kit.  The scale is smallish, but that means you have less actual detail to make and lot more impression of detail.

On the upside, at that scale, the only tools you really need are a good no. 11 blade (I’d recommend Excel brand for a standard hobby knife or buying a scalpel) and maybe a coping or scroll saw.  

The only downside is that Wasa had a lot of carvings, which is also an upside because it would be a great learning project as long as you didn’t give up.

Plus, most of the carvings are flat carvings and not fully 3D, which makes it a lot easier.

There are a bunch of build logs here, where people have carved their own decorations for kits.  Plus there are a fair number of people currently building the Wasa here.  Check out their logs.

One of the cool things about this hobby is that it is a great way to develop new and different skill sets.

I personally enjoy making the carvings.  That’s one of my favorite parts of building the model, that and rigging.  It’s a great way to relax.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Did some searching

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-BILLING-BOATS-CATALOGUE-UNDATED-30-pages-WASA-SANTA-MARIA-/274089435759

The box with the accessories (fittings) is N ° 442 

Look at the photo of the comlpeted model, It only looks  like a Vasa.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.37ac9fec412e65f38727289610e8109f.jpg

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you're interested in the 3D printing, there is this section:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/34-cad-and-3d-modellingdrafting-plans-with-software/   But it's more for doing the work yourself although there are posts dealing with commerical companies.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the input guys. I have noticed that the decking wood has been warped a bit and was thinking I 'may' be able to use steam to moisten and reshape it but I am uncertain if it is completely possible with the age of the wood. The mahogany that they use in these old kits, does it fare well to being reshaped or steamed? 

Thanks for your help and input. 

As for the 3D printing, you're right about the cost.