Yankee Hero by MichaelW - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 3/8"=1' - 1889 Quoddy Boat

The next task as to square away the lines.  After cleating off the jib sheets, I wanted to coil the remaining line in a Flemish coil.  I knew I'd have to glue the coil into a round, but didn't want to try that right on the deck.  I clamped a small piece of glass from a small picture frame into a hobby vice and positioned that next to the cockpit.  I then carefully coiled the line using tweezers to coil the line and my finger to hold the coiled line down.  Once I got the coil to the size I wanted, I used a drop of CA to hold the coil together.  I used some accelerant to speed up the CA cure, then slid the coil onto the deck.  I had to glue the coil down to it laid flat.  After repeating the process on the other side I cleated off the main halyard and coiled the remaining line and hung it on the pin at the mast.  I coiled the mainsheet and left it on the cockpit grate.  All that's left to do is place the anchor on the fore deck and coil the anchor rode.

20220103_183326.jpg

20220103_184055.jpg

20220103_190328.jpg

The next task was to square away the lines.  After cleating off the jib sheets, I wanted to coil the remaining line in a Flemish coil.  I knew I'd have to glue the coil into a round, but didn't want to try that right on the deck.  I clamped a small piece of glass from a small picture frame into a hobby vice and positioned that next to the cockpit.  I then carefully coiled the line using tweezers to coil the line and my finger to hold the coiled line down.  Once I got the coil to the size I wanted, I used a drop of CA to hold the coil together.  I used some accelerant to speed up the CA cure, then slid the coil onto the deck.  I had to glue the coil down for to lay flat.  After repeating the process on the other side, I cleated off the main halyard and coiled the remaining line and hung it on the pin at the mast.  I coiled the mainsheet and left it on the cockpit grate.  All that's left to do, I think, is place the anchor on the fore deck and coil the anchor rode.

20220103_183326.jpg

20220103_184055.jpg

20220103_190328.jpg

Edited by MichaelW

• 2 weeks later...

Using some skills from placing model railroad ballast, I soaked the anchor rode in a 1/3 rubbing alcohol - 2/3 water solution.  That made the line very pliable.  I then used the handle of an Xacto knife to prepare the coil - it was the right size.  I carefully looped the line into a normal looking rope pile.  I then used very dilute white glue with a dropper to soak the line with white glue.  Let dry overnight.  I then seized a loop for the anchor shackle.  To make it easier to tie off the rode on the Samson post, I used a dropper and re-wetted the line with the alcohol/water solution.  Done.

20220116_105913.thumb.jpg.eddebf53a14a4827fdd75273519e7144.jpg

Edited by MichaelW
Corrected my math on the alcohol-water mixture.

Beautiful model.  Congratulations on finishing this kit and thanks for sharing your build with us.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Very nice, display with pride!

Cheers,

Bill T. 

Take care folks, always appreciative of everyone's support!

Bill T.

Finished Builds:

Revell:  Cutty Shark 1980 (1/96 Plastic); Thermopylae 1981 (1/96 Plastic); USS Constitution 1983 (1/96 Plastic), USS United States 1985 (1/96 Plastic)

Midwest Products: Chesapeake Bay Skip-Jack Success Series (2001 Wood), Booths Bay Lobster Boat Working R/C Success Series (1"-1' 2002-2019)

Blue Jacket Shipcrafters: Yankee Hero (3/8-1 2020 on MSW), Revenue Cutter (1/4"-1' Current)

Gorgeous model, Michael! Congratulations!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

34 minutes ago, MichaelW said:

I learned a lot in this build, which I plan to use on my next build. 

What's next, Michael?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 11 months later...

Hello Michael, I realize you finished this project one year ago but I have a question. I'm building the Yankee Hero right now and I'm at the point of installing the toe rails. I noticed you glued the rails to the hull just below the deck. It was my understanding that they are to be installed on the deck at the very edge. Was this personal preference on your part or am I reading the manual incorrectly?