HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by JpR62 - 1:48 scale

Thank you to all the 'Likes'.

Construction then continued with the installation of the channels. They will be machined from a cherry wood plank.

First, I draw a small sketch of the cuts and sanding required to determine the sequence of work. First, I'll sand the underside of the piece (hatched lines in pink) with a disc sander, the angle having been determined from my drawing. Then, using my MF70 mini milling machine and a ball cutter, I'll make the semi-rounded shape (hatched lines in green). The board will then be cut into four sections and the work is completed by hand with files and sandpaper.

DB_Chan_04.thumb.JPG.b62801a862f50cb261fb897f429dea1e.JPG

I then add the eyebolts and insert a small metal pin on the side to reinforce the bond to the hull.

DB_Chan_07.thumb.JPG.759e44cb89711cfd09bb64e6c40dbda6.JPG

Some photos of the result

DB_Chan_09.thumb.JPG.952677c8a392e9c812711fef3a94c645.JPG

DB_Chan_10.thumb.JPG.d2d67a33d855e27f2166f3f163dfd7a4.JPG

DB_Chan_12.thumb.JPG.8efed7fbd1507479d1b873acf2645910.JPG

To be continued

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Syren Ship Model - 1:48

Thank you Gregory. Yes, it's cherry and the wales are made in black hornbeam.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Thank You to all the 'Likes'.

The work was then taken up again with the addition of details along the cap rail. I started by making and fitting the six timberheads. I started again by drawing a small sketch of one of the timberheads to determine the machining quotes for the part, as I'll be using my MF70 mini milling machine again.

DC_Bit_01.thumb.JPG.a91cc5f631b58e0fec7328189f5fc1c1.JPG

I machined 7 pieces at a time, gluing them together on double-sided tape (A spare part just in case...). I'm sure I'll get identical parts.  The work consists of two phases: first, I make three cuts on each side of the pieces using milling cutters (piece on the left of the photo below), then I finish the shaping with an x-acto and small files (piece on the right).

DC_Bit_02.thumb.JPG.9555bf33fb76effdd8da4cc37770e56b.JPG

Cutting the two timberheads at the stern is a little more complex, as a precise angle must be calculated (they must match the sheer of the cap rail). A simple board placed on the ship's deck enabled me to draw the angle line of the cap rail, which I could then easily transfer to the parts to be recut.

DC_Bit_04.thumb.JPG.6a734e8dfe9539e480b86c603a3819d8.JPG

Small metal pins were then inserted into each timberhead to reinforce the bond to the cap rail. Positioning on the cap rail was based on copies of the plan.

DC_Bit_07.thumb.JPG.f9edc3078106054ca4a33d7085575ef8.JPG

DC_Bit_08.thumb.JPG.26e3274259b854bfa873517f1597ba63.JPG

DC_Bit_09.thumb.JPG.b8a4b23f1369db563cb222627b4a18b2.JPG

Next step: the boom crutches.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Thank you Glenn.

Your Cheerful is a reference for me and I reread your build log before each step. I often find there the method to use...

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Thank you to all the 'Likes'.

So my work continued with the manufacture of the two boom crutches.

This stage was a bit scary for me, as the parts to be made are quite complex, with a multitude of angles to be respected...

I based myself on the working method used by Glenn (glbarlow), which is described in detail in his build log dedicated to his superb Cheerful.

More and more often, I take each element as a small project in itself and look for the method that suits me best to try and achieve a good result.

As usual, I start by making a small sketch of the part to be made. For the boom crutches, I first make a drawing (scale x10, simply replacing millimeters by centimeters) of the final part. This allows me to sketch the starting piece, leaving a nice margin of wood. It's a matter of estimating the starting size of the piece of wood that will contain the final piece...

DD_Ster_01.thumb.JPG.17a6b4497960bd80230c8f486494f339.JPG

To try and get two symmetrical pieces, I start with a common piece of wood. I roughly trace the first cuts to be made with the saw.

DD_Ster_02.thumb.JPG.f6843e6d278d8ad5e8f68624128e81cd.JPG

The big cuts are made, and I find myself with the two starting pieces ready to be shaped.

DD_Ster_03.thumb.JPG.dcd29babfdfaeb3362c7936a85a5663a.JPG

Then began the long process of shaping the boom crutche, working on one angle at a time. I followed the sequence described in the instruction manual. I used a variety of small files and gouges, and often placed my workpiece on the rear cap rail of the stern to check the various angles.  For this phase, I only worked on one of the pieces at a time, as the angles are different between the port and starboard parts. In the photo below, the first piece is finished. You can clearly see all the material that had to be removed...

DD_Ster_04.thumb.JPG.e10a2b798e86e36d2b35620167baa25a.JPG

Once the two boom crutches have been finalized, they are glued to the cap rail as an extension of the fashion pieces that have been shortened beforehand. To reinforce the bonding, I inserted a small metal pin into the boom crutches and drilled a hole in the cap rail.

DD_Ster_08.thumb.JPG.78be76186ded7d8f9150aff235a41221.JPG

In the end, with a bit of method and, above all, a lot of time (don't rush, test and retest as you go along), I was able to get the job done, and it gave me a lot of pleasure once again.

To be continued.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

I’m glad my log is helpful, though clearly while you may start with it you excel and improve the result. The boom crutches are very complex, first making one then it’s mirror opposite. Yours are very nicely done!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

So good to see an update, Jean-Paul.  Thanks for sharing your progress in detail with a series of posts.  Extremely nice workmanship - immaculately clean.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thank you Glenn and Gary for your kind words and thank you to all the 'Likes'.

I'm lucky enough to have more time for my hobby and to be able to share my work again 🙂.

The work continued with the assembly of the two interior ladders. Once again, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, so I used Rusty's build method (see his build log, post #134).

Just a little planning beforehand to determine the lengths of the parts (uprights and ladder treads) and the angle at which the ladders will be installed. I've decided to use two different thicknesses: 3/64" for the uprights, while the steps will be made from 1/32" boxwood. The only slight difficulty is that the ladder is not quite square (the steps are not square to the sides, but must follow the slope of the deck from bow to stern). With little confidence in my visual sense, I preferred to build a small jig from a copy of the plan. The copy of the plan is glued to a plywood board. Two strips are glued to the plan: one along the line of the ship's deck and the second along the outer edge of the left-hand ladder side. A small piece of transparent self-adhesive paper is then stuck to the plan in the work area to prevent the ladder parts from sticking to the plan. All ready for ladder assembly.

DE_Eche_01.thumb.JPG.bd63a0577cc8983434923fb83edb5446.JPG

Six small grooves (one more than necessary) are engraved in parallel on a 1/32" boxwood board using my MF70 mini mill. The ladder uprights are then cut with my mini table saw, respecting the installation angle and mirror finish. All that's left to do is glue the steps to the sides using the jig. The result is a ladder that conforms to the plan.

DE_Eche_03.thumb.JPG.2f2256aa20214a5ccbdd81cfdc5373ba.JPG

DE_Eche_06.thumb.JPG.49b629b36f2d6aa1db306a404170a412.JPG

Sides are cut to the right length, ladder tops are rounded and the ladders are tested on the deck.

DE_Eche_07.thumb.JPG.2490ed267fb3cba089d46ff738598b46.JPG

Finally, I colored and glued the ladders onto the deck.

DE_Eche_11.thumb.JPG.bbc162f91b70b4b844ddb867c2e3a25d.JPG

Next element: the winch.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :