HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by JpR62 - 1:48 scale

Thank you Don and Glenn for your encouragement and Thank you to all the 'Likes'.

I am also very happy to have recovered from my health problems and to be able to resume my work on this beautiful model. Chuck has put so much thought into its development that it's really a pleasure to build. Really the ideal model to start a first-time scratch building.

Edited by JpR62

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

I glued the six deck structures and fitting onto the deck.

I started by drawing the dividing line of the deck into two equal parts (from stern to bow) and also drew the first line across the deck where the deck beam is located. The others lines will be drawn as the deck structures are put in place.

For the precise placement of the fittings, I used the method described by Mike (Stuntflyer) in his wonderful build log. A small mark is drawn on the front and back of each element (in the middle) which allows me to glue precisely in relation to the dividing line.

CO_Central_02.thumb.JPG.5954bb26cbc1a50d345ab52f8df8920c.JPG

When installing the next fitting, I also check the distances to the previous element.

CO_Central_09.thumb.JPG.e16c637c3ff5c7fec8c5cf700125678b.JPG

and I also check that the distance from the deck structure to the margin plank is identical on each side.

CO_Central_12.thumb.JPG.f51e1fafa9b065020aba36f320ca3be0.JPG

In order to prevent the previous element from moving, I naturally waited until the glue had set before working on the next element. The installation was therefore spread over a good day.

CO_Central_13.thumb.JPG.2244b433166ec0cf8ef767602498c0d3.JPG

You will notice that the companionway is not finished. Since I'm going to leave the access doors open, I was afraid I might accidentally break them when I put the deck planks in place. So I will wait until the deck planking is finished before finalizing this element.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Excellent work.  Measure twice and once you’re absolutely sure it’s right measure again is a good philosophy at this critical stage which you clearly are doing.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Good to hear your recovery is going well Jean Paul. Wishing you a healthy and happy new year.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

A big thank you to all for your encouragement and I take this opportunity to wish you a good year 2023 !

I set up the first plank of the ship's deck. I again used the method described by Mike (Stuntflyer). A small mark is drawn on the middle of the plank (front and back) as well as on the center of each of the deck elements. I also used a sheet of card stock to make sure the boards were aligned between each element.

But the pictures will surely be more understandable.

CP_CPlank_02.thumb.JPG.91c9b34a2a20463d8f73afa286f0059f.JPG

CP_CPlank_03.thumb.JPG.89c9a828b965a4d65b203cbba41c6f0b.JPG

CP_CPlank_06.thumb.JPG.552270aca309c701d7bd240fe940d631.JPG

CP_CPlank_09.thumb.JPG.7c411e0a2ce0550a7051e578e97574e6.JPG

Next step: glue 2 new rows of planks on each side of this central row.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Thank you to all the 'Likes'.

Yes Gary, the method described by Mike works quite well. We are fortunate to have a forum used by such talented people. All credit for this method goes to its creator 🙂.

This week, I finished the installation of the 5 rows of center planks.

CQ_Central_02.thumb.JPG.eb27200527b910a18c95a34221476edb.JPG

I then traced the layout of the planks of the first belt which in my case will include 7 rows.

I started again from a copy of the plan on which I placed the situation corresponding to my model (actual position of the margin plank and limit of the central belt).

CR_M_Deck_01.thumb.JPG.62a03356ef94b22000bb29c86c65a2c6.JPG

Once the dividing line of the two belts was drawn, I reinforced the photocopy by gluing a sheet of cardboard on its reverse side and cut out the copy of the plan to use as a template.

CR_M_Deck_03.thumb.JPG.4f35b468f7313e3d3cd9149b90c8a810.JPG

All that remains is to calculate the spacing on each of the transverse lines representing the deck beams and to connect these points together. I also drew with a felt pen the separations of the planks on their length in order to respect the butt shift pattern.

CR_M_Deck_04.thumb.JPG.b5d9ea12f87b4ef7f5cc62a77d97d402.JPG

I will be able to start working on this first belt.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• 1 month later...

Thank you to all the 'Likes'.

In parallel with my work on the fishing boat 'Batelina', I continued to make progress on the planking of the Cheerful deck. An important step has just been taken as I finished this step yesterday which should mark the end of the dusty work.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I think a lot of hard work was necessary to try to get a satisfactory result.

CS_Deck_00.thumb.JPG.35659293cb89715217722214261960c3.JPG

CS_Deck_02.thumb.JPG.573346f313ffc3b40b4ff6bac7e00176.JPG

A new coat of teak oil will have to be applied to the deck elements because the sanding of the deck has left some marks.

CS_Deck_03.thumb.JPG.141e3def937e1c16112be4072bc4a970.JPG

While blowing away the dust, one of the delicate window panes also flew away and disappeared... And of course, as I had left the house to blow out the dust, it was impossible for me to find him... Fortunately Chuck was generous with the material provided and I still have the two extra window panes that come standard in the kit.

CS_Deck_05.thumb.JPG.a09075258763e0af028c3c0726a6c2f7.JPG

I will now drill the rudder port and put the seats in place on each side at the stern.

Edited by JpR62

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Nice work, well done. It’s such an accomplishment to complete the last of the planking, your patience and determination for a good result has paid off!

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 1 month later...

Vacation I hope, I know all about recovery it can be a slow process and really changes your life! I lost my left lower leg a year ago last December and just now starting to he up and moving with a new prosthetic leg. You have a lovely build in process, keep up the good work.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

The planking is some of the finest I have seen here at MSW.   I wish more people visited your log to see the subtlety that should exist rather than the fat black lines and treenails.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 8 months later...

It's been a long time...

First of all, a big thank you to all the people who have encouraged me and commented pleasantly on my work.

While working on my Batelina, I made a few small advances on the Cheerful.

First of all, I finalized the stern details. Just follow the instructions, which are really the best you can do. Don't be in a hurry, and take things one step at a time...

CTA_Stern_04.thumb.JPG.69d7d97584c547b3ed4282a5e0ac492b.JPG

CTA_Stern_08.thumb.JPG.37f4143726d0aa524c9b164d6c1cc5d4.JPG

I also fixed the windless definitively to the bow, using a small piece of wood to make sure it was placed at the right distance and in the right position.

CTB_Stern_06.thumb.JPG.78d170bf83b11539f0ed2a6ed616f24d.JPG

To be continued

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

That is looking fantastic.   Happy to see you making progress on the Cheerful.   Have a great Holiday and New Year!!!

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Very nice work JP! Is that all boxwood?

Thank you ! The hull is planked with cherry wood and for the deck I use boxwood.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

59 minutes ago, Chuck said:

That is looking fantastic.   Happy to see you making progress on the Cheerful.   Have a great Holiday and New Year!!!

Thank you Chuck !

Working on the Cheerful is a real pleasure. Everything is perfect, and the instruction manual is absolutely precise and didactic. You just have to take your time.

Enjoy the Holiday too and a Happy New Year to the whole family!

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

The scuppers

Using photocopies of the plan, I determine the precise location of the scuppers. With the point of a needle, I mark the spot to be drilled.

CUA_Scuppers_01.thumb.JPG.7c436bfad7554586231b7faf9b7bf559.JPG

CUA_Scuppers_06.thumb.JPG.ed5307f3c8c54950d9296ccea1a1ff27.JPG

Then I drill the scuppers in two stages: a first hole is drilled with a drill bit smaller than the final measurement, then this hole is enlarged with a bigger mandrel to the final size of the scupper.

CUA_Scuppers_07.thumb.JPG.0950fb77d0228307189861a8459f3445.JPG

To be continued

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Nice to see you back working on Cheerful, it’s all looking. Great, excellent work!

Regards,

Glenn

• The title was changed to HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by JpR62 - 1:48 scale