Permission to come aboard . . . . again

Peanut6

I originally joined MSW back in the fall of 2010 going by the name Firebirds.  I had started a build log of my very first build, Bounty’s Jolly boat by AL.  All these years later I’m getting the itch to pick up where I left off.  I plan on recreating that build log as I saved all text and photos.  I wonder if I should recreate it as is/was or edit the text to better align with my sampling of current build logs.  My style was a bit different back then and even more so from what I currently see.  It might be fun for some to see what was as it was back then.  I’ll leave it up to those who choose to comment.

What I mean is I approached my build log based upon a couple facets of my background.  From my engineering documentation side I wanted to ensure that when I decided the log is complete it would contain all details of each step from the opening of the box to completion/display.  From my coaching side I wanted to make sure that I not only showed what I did and how I did it, but more importantly why I was doing it that way.  It also contains some conversations I had with myself.

I’ve left out quite a few details in this reintroduction to the group.  Specifically how I got to where I was when I closed dry dock and what happened to regain the itch to start again.  Hopefully I will be allowed to fill in the blanks in later posts.

Ping to the current member know as Peanut:  If my current identification name gives you any moment of pause (as it could pose some confusion), please let me know and I’ll see what magic the moderators can do to take care of the situation.  The last thing I want to do is be the cause of any waves.

Take care and be safe,

kev

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Welcome back home, Kev.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back!  I consider myself a newer member compared to a lot of the members here, but I wouldn’t try and align to any way of logs and just do your own thing.  By the sounds of it the way your backgrounds affect how you would do your log seem the best way of doing things.  I’ll be interested in seeing your log as that was my first wood model I built.

Welcome back, Kev. I hope you enjoy being back in the shipyard.

I grew up in Elwood many years ago but I've been living in California for over 50 years now. Noblesville was tiny community way back then. My sister lives in Fishers. It's hard for me to believe how much that whole area has changed over the years. 

Good luck on your build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Glad to have you back on Model Ship World Kev.  I am looking forward to seeing your reconstructed build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I am greatly comforted by all the warm re-welcome comments.  I shouldn’t have expected anything else based upon my previous membership, but sometimes you just never know.  I’ve read every build log of the Jolly boat in hope of discovering the cause of my current planking situation, which was the last straw in the decision to step away from the project for awhile.  Of course I hadn’t intended my break to be this long.  I’ve picked up things I wished I would have done, things I could have done later to make things easier now, things I would like to try to do and the most important are the “be carefulls”.

Duanelaker, I’ve read your build log of the Jolly boat and will have some questions for you when it comes time to attach the keel parts, especially at the bow, and rigging.  It is extremely helpful to be able to see a complete build log and have the creator connect, thank you.  I hope to do as fine a job as you did with you build log and that my ship turns out as nice as yours.

BobG, I can’t imagine what Noblesville would have been like 50 years ago, though I have seen pictures.  We’ve only lived here for 25 years and it has changed so much just in that time.  Ironically, we came from California.  I spent many years in the Antelope Valley area and we met in Indian Wells Valley.  For those that aren’t familiar with California, we were basically in the middle of the Mohave Desert.  Hot as all get out but within a relatively short drive to whatever you would want.

I’ll recreate my Jolly boat build log as is/was.  I won’t even fix the typos or syntax errors.  I think I’ll just add a preface to explain a few things, give a current status and then just move on (hopefully this time) to completion.

It’s great to be back and boy did I have a major series of “Aha moments” this morning.  I’ll share those in my build log recreation.  I believe they will solve all my current planking problems.  Next onto the planking forum for a few questions.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Take care and be safe.

kev

welcome back

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kev,

You might have a look here and see if you can find answer to your planking problems:   https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

Welcome back

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mark, thank you for the link.  Back then I had done all my instructional reading of the available info on MSW plus I picked up a few books at the discount book store.  I admit there were a couple things I did that weren’t exactly “by the book” but I found within other build logs how handle them.

As embarrassing as it is to admit, the cause of my problem wasn’t procedure but execution.  I was planking correctly but toward the bow I only measured from top of frame to end off lumber, not to same reference point I used for the other frames.  Now to put some egg on an already crimson face, I got the measurement correct at the transom.  I have no clue what happened to my thinking process from transom to bow.  After talking this thru with myself and double checking what I found, we’re both laughing at me.  I’ll go into greater detail of the FUBAR when I get my build log going.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Take care and be safe.

kev

Kev,

I admit to being guilty of those kinds of errors also.  I'm glad you got it sorted.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark, still can't figure out what I was thinking to make such a silly error.  Evidently I wasn't thinking and that is how it happened.  All's not lost as I learned a good lesson and again so very thankful for isopropyl alcohol. 

I've just completed my recreation of my Jolly Boat build log for those who care to take a look.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Take care and be safe.

kev