Have there been changes to Model Expo Support?

Recently I sent an email requesting information about a product.  The reply I received was:

" I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, Frank our expert has retired and we no longer have anyone here in regards to technical support.  "

I wonder about the implications for tools, supplies and Kits?

I have spent a fair amount with model expo since I recently began building a ship model and my experience has always been good, in fact excellent.  Is this the beginning of a change?

I hope not.  It would be hard to replace that kind of service.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

just called and spoke on the phone with them and they said a new hire was made and they are working on a backlog of requests with the new guy.

so give them some time to get the new guy up to speed.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

I'll miss Frank.  Hopefully the new fellow will follow in his footsteps.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

As a retiree myself, I wish Frank the best. 

Glad to hear Model expo is continuing with their service.  They have done well by me and I look forward to continuing as a customer.

Richard.

Richard

Ahoy Mates :D

I wonder if this recent turn of events has had an affect on their sale items. I follow the site and the European Kits have missed the last few sales.  

I will also go with the positive view on Franks retirement.

First, THANK YOU Frank, you did a great job. And secondly here's wishing the new guy a long and happy career at model Expo  

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

I faxed in a request in mid June to replace my carronades for my Syren kit and received the replacement parts about two and a half weeks later.  They may be running a little behind but I am sure they will get to your request soon.

Excellen customer service and I have enjoyed doing business with them over the past fifteen years.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I'm glad to hear that there is a change going on.  I emailed a parts request for missing parts and have not heard anything back yet.  I picked them because of I'm working on my first ship and I heard they have the best customer service.  I fully understand bring a new employee up to speed, so I will wait my turn to hear back. 

Rich From Baltimore

Current (First) Build - Willie L. Bennett

I ordered my Corel Vasa from ME in 2010. Further research revealed that the Corel kit was 6 cannons short compared to the real ship. I asked them by email TO BUY   6 cannons because the kit was not accurate. Never got an answer back, but the 6 cannons arrived a few days latter, free of charge. Not even shipping/handling charges. I have many more stories like this one. And the responsible for this was Frank.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hey folks,

I thought I had addressed this topic recently here - I guess I didn't, sorry about that - it's been challenging summer thus far! Yes, Frank moved on and he is simply irreplaceable. This has left Model Expo with a few hurdles to overcome. And, as you know, all businesses must adapt and roll with the punches; so with that, we've made some changes.

First and foremost, we are NOT discontinuing replacement parts for our (Model Shipways, Model Trailways, Model Airways, Guns of History) manufactured kits, tools, and supplies. If you break, lose, or are missing something from one of our kits, we will send it to you free of charge as we've always done. Yes, our "new" parts manager (Tom) is getting up-to-speed (he works on Mondays & Fridays only). Tom is not a modeler by any stretch of the imagination, he's my Dad  :) .. so be nice! Will he make mistakes? Sure. Is he learning (baptism by fire)? Absolutely! Patience is the key. Frank knew this business inside and out and he had a long time to establish the process; Tom has a steep learning curve, but he's up to the challenge!

As for European parts, with the challenges of supporting our own manufactured kit, we're asking that you try and work with them for your parts. We can try and run point on your behalf however, given this massive disruption in our Parts Service, it's probably better that you email Corel & Mamoli directly for parts. And, we'll no longer have European parts kits; we can no longer afford to have this merchandise sitting around waiting on a request for a random part.

As for detailed / how-to Technical Support, Tom obviously is not equipped to perform this service. As such, we are re-directing all calls for help to this forum FIRST! This is the largest, most detailed forum on Ship Modeling; what better place to send the "technically challenged"? This is a small community and your help to those in need is a great way to "pay it forward"!

Lastly, as always, should you have ANY questions, comments, concerns, please feel free to email be directly - esnow@modelexpo-online.com

Warmest regards to all!

Eric

Toll Free 800.222.3876

Eric,

Glad to hear all is working out.  I enjoy being your customer and look forward to a continued relationship.

I had communicated with Tom (I think that is the same person) and he was very helpful.  Just a hint to anyone looking for replacement parts, be sure to use the part numbers from the parts list. 

Edited by rtropp

Richard

Tom,

Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

My Best to Frank! He has earned his retirement. I have talked to him many times. Good luck Tom! Nice of your boy to give you a job. :P

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm unfortunately experiencing this problem myself. I needed some parts for a build. I completed the online parts request form. I waited a couple of weeks and didn't hear anything. I called a couple of times over the next two weeks and they said the new parts manager would call me. I waited but received no call back. I called a third time and reached Tom. By now a month had passed. Tom seemed very nice but really overwhelmed with work. He said he could not locate my parts request and I would have to submit another one. But unfortunately there were countless other orders pending so he said it would be at least a month for me to get the parts. So now it will be at least 2 months that my build will be down. I understand how difficult it must be when a longtime employee leaves but I'm still really disappointed.

It is difficult. It is especially irksome since the quality of the kits may be declining. The replacements I sent in are for bad parts. Not build errors. there is a lot of excessive burn. And from the look of the kit i have more that i will confront further into the build, which will translate to a lot of delay.

If the manufacturing quality is deteriorating the volume of requests can only increase. And from what I understand the Parts Manager is part time, two days a week. Others in the build site are reporting similar frustrations. It's sad because eventually the word will get out.Also, the company being up for sale cannot be helping matters with their personnel.

Not sure where all this is going but it is a shame. They were one of the most dependable and highest quality companies until recently. I hope they figure it out.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard