Atlantica by Wintergreen – Scale 1:30 - POF - sail training ketch - a smack of English heritage

21 hours ago, KeithAug said:

I keep wondering if I need a bandsaw.

Wow! Couldn't do without mine... a 40 year old dewalt 16". Cuts to about 5 thou tolerance. Go on. spoilt yerself Keith!

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

@vaddoc, I kind of have missed your updates, but I know how life is and that we have to make priorities for our available time. A sincere thank you for the well wish, it is a tremendous relief for me and my family (all seven of the kids...). Also thx for the encouragement re equipment. I surely will in due time 😉 

Yes, I like the boat as well and I have really tried to keep it going through all this hard time. It helped it keeping me sane and out of the depression pit.

Over to answer your questions... in the book it is given that the real ship had 23 strakes and the shipwright calculated that they needed be 5" wide at the stem. So, from midships going forward planks are straight, but tapered down to a width of 5 mm. At midships the planks are 8 mm (I think). Going aft, the last plank is spiled. For these first four bands I kind of just went along. Care taken so that planks at the stern came out somewhat equal on both sides, as well as up front.

For the remaining planking I will be more careful and divide the remaining space in bands as per the planking tutorials here on MSW. The stem is easy since it is straight and flat. But the stern needs some careful planning beforehand.

Did I bevel the planks then? The answer is yes. As per the book the free side is left square and the mating side is beveled to fit tight to its neighbour. If not done where the hull form bulges in or out sanding will reveal gaps and that I want to avoid. 

Tree-nailing was a bit of a test, but it came out good so I'll stick to doing it. Both the hull, where it will be more or less invisible due to paint but also the deck, where it will be visible (i.e. no paint, just added patina). Sending your leftovers would be very generous of you. Of course you are welcome to do that. 

It might not look like it, but this build is a step in my skill honing for coming projects 😁 Next up will be Speedwell, scratch as well but probably not in 1:48 as in the books, rather 1:32 to match Atlantica in scale, or maybe the other way, down to 1:64 to match even later projects... future will tell.

Cheers! 🍻 (it's Friday after all)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

A fair bit under the weather today, so instead of being totally useless at work I can always drop an update here instead.

Slowly chipping down on the 10000 hrs tally to become a master. I think I'm at around 2000 hrs in, leaving me some 8000 hrs to go. Cheerful.

Anyway, in my last update the rear fashion piece was under development. Now, it is glued in place. It doesn't seem to fit very well, but since I've 8000 hrs to go, and it will be covered by covering boards and deck planks, it's okay. Nearly all deck beams are also in place. Update to come.

Another thing that show in the below picture is my drafting "skills"... The beam has the correct height re the sheer, but does not rest on the stern post. Admiring the finished model no one will know bar the lot here and the entire internet.

20230115_132101.jpg.d6cbbd4fd429b986e761e5cbe25f6d3a.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

@Jim Lad, @Tony Hunt ,thank you lads, excellent advice from both of you!

And in response to both - exactly what i did 😄

cardboard template and lots of glue 😆

but no, it doesn't annoy me. It was an observation, not a value statement.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

From the research I'm doing for my next build I understand these rounded counter ended-sterns were among the hardest to frame - even the old shipwrights needed 'proper' plans. Looks to me like the stern post was measured to the sheer line not the deck line. The plans I'm working up didn't include a deck line, so it's a 'gotcha' you have helped me prevent down the line. It's an ill wind etc.

Hope you feel better soon, and the therapy of reshaping a beam will help, I'm sure!

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

10 hours ago, FlyingFish said:

Looks to me like the stern post was measured to the sheer line not the deck line.

That's possible Andy since I didn't cross check the stern assembly with the elevation/deck plans. I also realized that I couldn't take the deck beam length from the plans, instead I measured on the hull and cut thereafter. It's a learning process this ship building stuff 😁

Of course it would help to invest some more hours into the drafting, but that is not entirely clear either, what is important and what is not. But I'm learning.

And thanks, the clouds cleared today and I felt much better. It's the upcoming surgery that haunts me and how day-to-day life will be post-op. 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

On 1/18/2023 at 8:16 PM, Wintergreen said:

Of course it would help to invest some more hours into the drafting

But that would destroy the fun of working out how to correct the problem!!!!!!

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Exactly @KeithAug, what would fun be in that???

Also, it was a deliberate action on my part, that about starting making sawdust 😄 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

A'hoy! Time for another update. I was constantly being interrupted out in the shop today so I finally gave up.

(Annoying, but it might have something to do with it being my birthday today).

So, deck beams.

I came to think that a drum sander with a fence could have been used for final thickness of the beams. But, I don't have one (yet).

All beams are in place. On the real ship they are fastened with a single bolt in center, so I intend to mimic that with a tree nail. 0.8 or 1.0 mm, but have decided yet.

Care was taken so the beams sat perfectly 90 degrees to center line using the gantry and a stiff paper board as reference. The scale gave the distance to forward perpendicular line and that measurement was taken from the elevation plan.

20230115_132036.thumb.jpg.e9e7fc78233b253472b30c9ed8659e12.jpg

It payed off, the eye is sensitive to misalignment and there is none. 🙂 

20230117_202520.thumb.jpg.c1c4dafc4ef584009563a7a03b5eed91.jpg

20230117_202454.jpg.dc9bb4dc2245b1ca3b77abed32bccbb6.jpg

Next up are carlings surrounding the hatches and mast openings. I started with the main hatch. The original drawing calls for dove tails, but that is above my current skill level, so I aimed for a recessed joint instead. Also, birch is kind of soft, and apple would probably been easier, but that is for next project.

It was around here today that all interruptions came so I'm more than happy with the outcome 🙂 

20230121_183343.jpg.d9c5ab34f6bc8929596abd119a3590ac.jpg

20230121_183353.jpg.fc48fbe431e333f7e0ce2608d18be13c.jpg

Thanks for likes and comments! Always appreciated 🙂 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Happy Birthday - Grattis på din speciella dag! Your progress is outstanding and beautiful. What made you to choose birch?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thank you Per! 27, again, can you image?! (for the 27th time actually 😄)

6 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

What made you to choose birch?

In general or specifically for the deck beams?

Why apple and birch from the beginning? Because I had it 🙂 

Then, in general, I have used apple for frame and keel, the topmost outboard plank and the beam shelf. 

Planking and deck was always going to be birch and I thought, why not birch for deck beams as well? I confess to being a bit lazy since it is much easier to mill and sand to spec. 

Next build will probably be apple for all structural parts.

For mast and spars I have some very fine grained pine that I will try. 

So, no religious or political reason for any of my choices, just chance and opportunity 😛 

Thanks for asking.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Oh, I have another confession regarding the deck beam installation. Of course there should be iron hanging knees all around if I was literally following the real build. 

But I'm not 😁

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

13 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Happy to send you some iron if you're a bit short

Excellent John!

A'thoug, what would postage and package be? 🤔

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

I find it interesting that quality of work is direct opposite proportional to level of blood sugar. 🤔

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

14 hours ago, wefalck said:

Nice shipwrighting btw

Thank you wefalck! 

My first tell-tale of time for a break is when I start to loose patience. Then I know I should really take a break and have a snack of sorts.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Salute @Mic_Nao and thank you!

Don't tell anyone but I have the "only show neat work"-filter on my camera when I take the photographs. 😉 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Lovely work on the deck beams. Like the jig.

I hope you got the drum sander in your birthday present pile - if not perhaps next year! Like you I don't have a drum sander but I can't decide if I really need one. I have a sanding drum which I mount on the mill which sort of works. The issue I have with drum sanders is that I am sure that I would constantly want to change between coarse and fine grades of sand paper and most drum sanders don't seem to make this a quick and easy operation (unless someone knows better).

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

54 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

I hope you got the drum sander in your birthday present pile

Nope, no pile and hence no drum sander. I will probably start as you with a sanding drum and from the look of it the sanding sleeve should come right off which means easy going between grits.

We'll see what I can dream up... stay tuned.

Apart from dreaming about tools work is kind of slow with the carlings. Mast partners are in and a couple for skylights. The photo below is a couple of pieces old.

If you look closely you can see that I've tested a couple of different notch types. Right now I'm towards full width and full depth, unless the pieces are of same moulded size (depth/thickness...).

If the pieces are of same dimension I'll leave a ledge for the carling to sit on and cut a matching step out of the bottom of the carling (3), instead of doing a slanted joint (1). No 2 is what I used for the main hatch and for the main mast partners in the picture below. No 3 is actually easiest to get a good looking joint for me.

20230127_194908.thumb.jpg.ecd2f8bbb52b6c2018729dc8f089d813.jpg

20230126_202132.jpg.8bb1ae411f860fcb1bce5af6e6fb81b7.jpg

Cheers!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thank you John 🙂 

The pace is one piece at a time... 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

1 hour ago, FlyingFish said:

Well it worked for Rome.

And Johnny Cash. :)