New to the community and wooden models

I have always wanted to build a wooden ship model, something with real planks, rigging and a lot of details.  I never tried before because of the price and I didn't know if I could do it well.  Now I'm ready to try.  I built plastic models as a kid, and frankly wasn't very good at it.  I just didn't have the patience.  Now I have the patience, but unfortunately old-man hands and eyesight.

I have decided to start, like so many others, with the OcCre Polaris.  The videos were a big draw, as well as all the build logs here.

I am very impressed with the depth of content here on MSW.

Hello Harland Wolff (is there a message in that name? 😉), welcome to MSW from Sussex. It is a great place to learn and get support with those new tasks you will encounter.

Hope we see a build log from you.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW, Harland.   

I suggest you have look here before buying any kit:   

Then, when you're ready, open a log as it's a great way to meet others and also to get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

57 minutes ago, Harland Wolff said:

I never tried before because of the price and I didn't know if I could do it well.  Now I'm ready to try.  I built plastic models as a kid, and frankly wasn't very good at it.  I just didn't have the patience.  Now I have the patience, but unfortunately old-man hands and eyesight.

Welcome aboard!!! :piratebo5:

Don't worry about doing well... that comes with practice.  Patience is definitely a requirement.  Eyesight is fixed with magnification.  POLARIS appears to be a good starter kit with simple hull, simple rigging.  I am not sure how good instructions are, but build logs will help.

As an aside, you have a good model club (Rocky Mountain Shipwrights) in Denver to help you with your new hobby.  I know at least 1 member is on this list. 

Good luck, have fun and whatever ANYBODY tells you, you can never have too many clamps. :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome to MSW.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Welcome to Model Ship World Harland.  You should do just fine with the Polaris.  Be sure to start a build log of your model.  It will definitely help you on your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome Harland. I am a newbie and am working on my second model. As others have mentioned it is a great idea to start a build log. I have found other members will always offer help and encouragement. Good luck.

Current Build

18th Century Armed Longboat-Model Shipways

Completed Build

Lady Eleanor-Vanguard Models

King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

Welcome aboard Harland. This is a great forum with some great craftspeople who are always ready to give assistance...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Harland, welcome to MSW. There are a large number of us "elderly" types here in MSW, working with model ships keeps our old brains engaged and our fingers limber. Hope you'll start a build log, I look forward to watching your progress. 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum