Bell Helicopters HTL-4 (MRC) & H-13H (Revell) 2 for 1 By Egilman - FINISHED - 1/35th scale

Hi, I have been far from the forum the last days and today I see that you completed them! Well done, despite the limitations of the kits, as you said, they look the part. Not easy kits, we have seen that, but you did a good job!

Congrats,

Dan 

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

On 2/6/2022 at 5:22 AM, Canute said:

Nicely done, EG. Really like the flying ambulance version.

Thank you Ken, I think it came out the better of the two as well... (not counting everything I had to do to get it there)

It's much appreciated..

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 2/6/2022 at 7:23 AM, Edwardkenway said:

Nice job EG, same as Ken, I like them both but the "evac" version just pops for me!

Onwards to the next project 😁

I think the Medical Evac version brother, is the one everyone will click on as it is the most known version.. partly cause of Mash, and partly cause of it's role of saving lives...

Thank you very much... Next project coming soon...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 2/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, ccoyle said:

Nice work on your two-for-one!

Thanks Chris, It's much appreciated...  241 can get complicated, even for such a small project as this.... Don't know if I'll do another...

Quote:

On 2/6/2022 at 11:12 AM, mtaylor said:

Well done, Egilman.   They look about as perfect as one can do.  

Well, I tried to make them authentic, did the best I could... Thank you It's appreciated very much...

There were more markings that were supposed to go on the bottom side of the rotors, (installation dates and such) but they fell apart due to age and were just too tiny to save.. As it was each and every decal split in some fashion... And there are no aftermarket parts or accessories for this aircraft, so I had to make them work... I think I saved enough to make them presentable...

The early days of Helicopters, you would think that they would understand that at times it is just not smart to be a stand up guy, especially during operating helicopter rotor maintenance training... Better to be a heads up guy rather than a stand up guy in that situation.... Live and learn, thankfully they took the lesson well and it only cost them some temporary pain and embarrassment... At least they can instruct the young ones in what happens to you when you stick your head in a turning rotor... I wonder if that was a lesson they really wanted to teach?

They saved a lot of lives in that respect, they were worth every penny... Thank you for your service my friend...

Quote:

Everyone who commented and gave likes and laughs... THANK YOU! and thanks for walking the journey with me it always greatly appreciated...

Now for the final eye candy as I promised...

The Spotlight and Litter Straps...

IMG_9939.thumb.JPG.9b73984d3224c23b8f6f4839cfe7e344.JPGIMG_9940.thumb.JPG.870ef2b326ff13bb279e34dc7fbf3141.JPG

Spotlight on the H-13H...

IMG_9942.thumb.JPG.fdd61dbc62f99f70b7c0ce212aa84b89.JPG

H-13D/E complete...

IMG_9941.thumb.JPG.70505b44db6f95c105206a289d24d6e9.JPG

H-13H Complete....

IMG_9943.thumb.JPG.b80846ef7def2909a37df55b0345fde2.JPG

And the flightline....

IMG_9944.thumb.JPG.d415b909b28abcbcc5ad0f9c90a34c58.JPGIMG_9945.thumb.JPG.22dc01d76545f8149af7433f1059bfd1.JPG

It was an enjoyable trip, thank you all for following along... The H-13 2 for 1 is complete!

EG

Quote:

Very nice job, well done on both!  What is next on the bench?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Trainers never seem to get much love. They're both very nicely done. Congratulations.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very nicely done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 2/6/2022 at 4:59 AM, Egilman said:

The funny thing is the white blade is a detail that didn't make it into the books, I've rechecked my sources and confirmed no one took a pic of it... or captured it on any film either... at least not that has been published...

Well as I am pretty certain that I was not taking any drugs back then and it does not exist on the internet then it must be the drugs I have to take now, combined with the years.

IF it had existed it could have looked something like this I suppose:

image.png.a72392db7b67d0d272a76796bfb98e5d.png

image.png.1583f4a6e391389bae5374e7ccf7780a.png

image.png.0547f54346be187ecc8c3c56d6a2e3a6.png

image.png.eb6579b3538129df1af5d603bde2b1e9.png

I know, those are all pictures of a modern-day restored Huey, But my ex wife kind of cleaned me out of almost all of my pictures, if I even took one that included the top view of the blades. That is also lost in that same drug induced unsupported haze. But I was able to come up with this, two at any rate:

image.png.0c7aa2e0ac2c7a2ded03936b8bd1b9d9.png

If limited memory serves this should be sometime around 1969-70 at least that is the dates on my DD-214. Sorry, best I can do.

Nice job on the H-13s. I think I will have to go for the ambulance one as well. #241 just looks too pimped out for my aging OD stained eyeballs. I still can't look at that model Bell and not really see a "Whirlybird" in my questionable mind's eye.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Speaking of old photos! Just for fun:

image.png.ea2fd51a38ba6b2d1c3e7ae20f8c3e1d.png

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

11 hours ago, Egilman said:

The early days of Helicopters, you would think that they would understand that at times it is just not smart to be a stand up guy, especially during operating helicopter rotor maintenance training... Better to be a heads up guy rather than a stand up guy in that situation....

I always thought it was kind of funny when people would run up on a Huey all hunched over to avoid being hit by the main rotor.

image.png.a9236d5fd277bff85e70f7b83421365a.png

As you can see, not really a big issue with us!:P:Whew:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

14 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Very nice job, well done on both!  What is next on the bench?

Thanks my friend, I haven't decided yet, but leaning towards something supersonic...

Quote:

9 hours ago, Canute said:

Trainers never seem to get much love. They're both very nicely done. Congratulations.

Thank you, It was one of those trying to figure out what the kit fit in real life, cause it sure didn't fit a Korean War air ambulance and I didn't want to do what everyone else did... So it had to be a General Officers taxi or a training bird... The Ft Wolters scheme fit it better and it wouldn't be just another OD green machine... Not something modeled often...

Much appreciated Ken...

Quote:

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

Well as I am pretty certain that I was not taking any drugs back then and it does not exist on the internet then it must be the drugs I have to take now, combined with the years.

IF it had existed it could have looked something like this I suppose:

image.png.a72392db7b67d0d272a76796bfb98e5d.png

image.png.1583f4a6e391389bae5374e7ccf7780a.png

image.png.0547f54346be187ecc8c3c56d6a2e3a6.png

image.png.eb6579b3538129df1af5d603bde2b1e9.png

I know, those are all pictures of a modern-day restored Huey, But my ex wife kind of cleaned me out of almost all of my pictures, if I even took one that included the top view of the blades. That is also lost in that same drug induced unsupported haze. But I was able to come up with this, two at any rate:

image.png.0c7aa2e0ac2c7a2ded03936b8bd1b9d9.png

If limited memory serves this should be sometime around 1969-70 at least that is the dates on my DD-214. Sorry, best I can do.

Nice job on the H-13s. I think I will have to go for the ambulance one as well. #241 just looks too pimped out for my aging OD stained eyeballs. I still can't look at that model Bell and not really see a "Whirlybird" in my questionable mind's eye.

I can see four white blades brother in that pic... Thank you for those I didn't doubt you at all but it's nice to actually see it, strange that it wasn't picked up by some of the detail rags that seem to get printed every couple of years... I suspect it was considered a one off if anyone actually saw it... But this confirms that no it wasn't a one-off... Now I've got my odd detail for the Slick when I get around to it!! {chuckle} Thanks

Thanks for the complements on the H-13's, the in country-in service persons will connect with the Air-evac bird I'm gathering... It's something they all can feel... The training bird will connect on a different level with a very select crowd and won't have the emotional draw than a bird that's coming to drag your butt out of a tight spot will... It definitely has that TV show "Whirlybird" look to it.... But it was worth modeling, tens of thousands of heli pilots got their introduction to flight in that bird and it's still one of the most liked helis flying today...

Again thanks...

EG

Quote:

Speaking of old photos! Just for fun:

image.png.ea2fd51a38ba6b2d1c3e7ae20f8c3e1d.png

Still one of the most dangerous places to be in this country as well, and it's not a combat zone...

Quote:

I always thought it was kind of funny when people would run up on a Huey all hunched over to avoid being hit by the main rotor.

image.png.a9236d5fd277bff85e70f7b83421365a.png

As you can see, not really a big issue with us!:P:Whew:

When I watch all the old Vietnam war movies I chuckle when I see that or the guys that wait till the blades have stopped before they even open the door... Now on the early choppers yeah it was a consideration, those blades did have some droop and some of them actually were designed in a way that made such mandatory... (The Kaman Huskies & H-21's come to mind) but the Huey, the blades were stiff enough and high enough to not need to worry about it...

On TV and the movies you can always tell a chopper guy from the wannabe's when they get closer to that rotating wing... chuckle

Quote:

Congratulations on the completion of two very nice models Egilman - they turned out great.  They both have a very authentic look and feel.  Very nice!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

13 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Congratulations on the completion of two very nice models Egilman - they turned out great.  They both have a very authentic look and feel.  Very nice!

Gary

Thank you Gary, Very Very much...  It's greatly appreciated....

Quote:

• 11 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 3:54 PM, lmagna said:

You had to build the Revell kit soon, the box was about to fall apart!:blink:

You missed my favorite childhood version, The first season of The Whirlybirds! Having looked at an episode on YouTube or somewhere recently I have no idea why I loved the show back when I was seven or eight, but like Sea Hunt and a few other programs of the time I loved it. I was even able to send away and get the sanctioned Bell 47G model from the show. Spent a lot of back yard time with that! May have even been the reason I jumped at the job of door gunner when the opportunity presented itself years later.

The Whirlybirds - Helicopters - Modeling Subjects | Scale models, Model  airplanes, Bell helicopter

I too as a kid had to watch Whirlybirds. Now a much older kid, I would like to build their helicopter also. How did you make the decals? If you have any extras, I would be more than happy to purchase them from you. Or just the artwork would work as well. If you don't mind contacting me at gary2weston at outlookdotcom. Thank you in advance for your information and help. Gary