Bell Helicopters HTL-4 (MRC) & H-13H (Revell) 2 for 1 By Egilman - FINISHED - 1/35th scale

On 1/26/2022 at 9:29 AM, lmagna said:

In defense of the manufactures all it takes to get it wrong sometimes is one reversed negative. While they may do research at some point, it may be questionable how in depth that research may be. Doesn't seem to be the case this time but sometimes?  

I'm sure it was just a niche release in '93 Lou... When the first version came out, it wasn't a hot seller at first... And yeah, it is questionable on the depth of research, no doubt of that....

On 1/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, Canute said:

I'm with Lou here. These kits were developed how many years ago? Ask Denis (Popeye) about the fit of "box scale" kits. The oldies are quite primitive compared to the current goodies. I'm sure some of you remember the Hawk kits with the molded om markings? 🙄  It would be nice if a manufacturer decided on a different model, instead of being the 4th version of USS Arizona or KM Bismarck.

Most research of models into the 80s was deciphering markings and paint colors. We live in a Golden Age of scale modeling.

I have several of the original "Box" scale kits on my collectors stash Ken and I agree some of them are nothing but assemble it yourself toys.... These models came out in the early 90's when we were well past the "box" scale era and the issue I believe was marketing was dictating the amount of effort more than modeling accuracy... Money was still dictating effort at the time... This was just before the Banner experiment, and the outright demand for accuracy resulting from that effort...

Today it is firmly entrenched in the modeling world that with the advent of the internet and forums like this one, the accuracy and buildability of a new release comes paramount and first impressions can make or break a model release... Right now the internet fueled and modeler driven design and production period of models has ended and companies are back to the we will build what is easiest and cheapest again framework... The Trumpeter revelation in the modeling world that the existing companies were not fulfilling the demand has passed, Companies have come and gone, but they are adapting to demand a lot more than they ever were before... But it's falling back into the easier and cheaper partial redesign system and the desires of modelers is again not being listened to...

Golden age? not so sure that hasn't passed as well... We are not seeing a lot of completely new stuff being designed and released anymore, but some companies are still updating their lines... There are some very relevant models that are simply not being produced cause of the costs associated with new production... Market saturation is an issue as well as an aging demographic in the industry.... Although there are some companies that have dedicated themselves to historical accuracy which is a good thing for us builders...

I'm not trying to compare the Italeri from the 90's to the Italeri of today, it's no comparison, the technology of injection molding alone has pushed the envelope way past what was possible in the 90's and 3D printing still hasn't reached it's potential yet...  (not even scratched the surface)

It's hard to do a build and review of old kits compared to today's modeling environment... But I think it does push us to be better modelers... And turn out better art....

And there is nothing wrong with that...

And I also agree, we need to see a lot more of things other than the latest iteration of the P-51 or Tiger Tank or Me-109 or USS Missouri... I was holding out great hopes for Trumpy to do more large scale helo's but that seems to have become a forlorn hope... 

But that's been a decades long lament about manufacturers, they like to produce what makes them money and that seldom jives with what we as modelers want.... The day is rapidly approaching where the manufacturers will become moot, probably not in our lifetimes, but the signs are clear, download and print your own in any scale you want is the future... (or at least going to be a big chunk of it)

It's an exciting time, but a depressing one as well...

But as modelers we are accustomed to such.... {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

And time for an update..

The next step is the litters and litter carriers.... Unfortunately I have misplaced the litters... I have the thick platforms they call carriers but no litters... So I have to replace them....

Then, looking at the carriers...

IMG_9881.thumb.JPG.af6ee2671e7ad1d083e6634ffdec877d.JPGIMG_9880.thumb.JPG.ec1a08e3331abc955813a07bd3eade4b.JPG

I decided I might as well replace them as they are way too thick to represent the real thing....

Here is what they look like in real life...

screenshot_74.thumb.png.d1e971e7d2adb9a4efca1a83b8c361e8.pngscreenshot_78.thumb.png.bbe9d5bd1657e2a42ee147c2c03607a2.pngscreenshot_79.thumb.png.c4325ec666664a809d76a1b6f48313c8.pngscreenshot_81.thumb.png.dc851d582cc7a06b438d52a343d27d79.png

Clearly they are a lot thinner than the kit supplied platforms... Constructed out of 12 gauge steel, seven feet long and reinforced with angle lining the edges with the rear edge facing downward...

So, using .010 plastic sheet I cut two replacements... I took those replacements and laminated them to a sheet of .010 plastic.... this gives me an edge the exact shape of the platforms.... I then took a 1/16th inch strip of .010 and lined the edge with it at right angles....

IMG_9878.thumb.JPG.a82a7bbef3ade03a12ef24cd6fb947af.JPGIMG_9879.thumb.JPG.3f4693237be95cc53aeb6f2d0108101f.JPG

Using scissors,  I cut them out of the sheet and checked them for size and installed the end strips to represent the angles on the ends... Then I set about making the litters...

9936600.jpg.1840dd4891c583789ad3b314975b6ceb.jpg

A US Army model 1943 collapsible medical litter, 7 feet long, 6 foot canvass bed, four legs that hold it off the ground and two braces that lock it in the open position... Made of 1.25" steel tube with wooden handles... some had the knobs cut on the ends but most were just straight round handles...

IMG_9883.thumb.JPG.a48982ca9ebcc6568d3f9954f3caed26.JPG

Another piece of .010 plastic cut to appropriate size... with two tubes for poles and thin rod for handles.... Sized to fit the carriers.... Tubes are glued to the edge of the sheets, and rods are inserted into the tubes and glued into position....

IMG_9884.thumb.JPG.a6a36909b3c399a802525dc9670a1c35.JPG

Then simple 1/8" square tube  is used to replicate the feet on the litter...  Checked to make sure they fit the carriers when dry...

IMG_9885.thumb.JPG.667a5f5ab3ece013d03715b423fcb421.JPG

And making sure the kit's windshields fit the replacement carriers and litters..... I added the reinforcement bars to the carriers then fitted them to the skids to make sure they looked appropriate...

IMG_9886.thumb.JPG.46614b2175ebd2c92407d421bbab292e.JPG

Voila! two litters and litter carriers.... That actually look the part....  Still need to paint them up, they will not be permanently attached till after the decals are applied, but it is the final step before building the mast and Main Rotor.... The bubble also needs some attention as well and is just tacked into place just to keep it out of the way....

This is turning out to be a fun kit and is beginning to look like something....

Onwards brothers...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

That is looking so nice  - all that effort  is so paying off.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:29 PM, lmagna said:

In defense of the manufactures all it takes to get it wrong sometimes is one reversed negative. While they may do research at some point, it may be questionable how in depth that research may be. Doesn't seem to be the case this time but sometimes?  

Lou, maybe we should have been kit designers.  Our wives think we are perfect and never make mistakes.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

51 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Lou, maybe we should have been kit designers.  Our wives think we are perfect and never make mistakes.

Hmm.... your's is one of a kind then.  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 1/28/2022 at 11:39 AM, Old Collingwood said:

That is looking so nice  - all that effort  is so paying off.

OC.

Thanks brother, I hope it is...

Quote:

On 1/28/2022 at 4:36 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Your a lucky man.... {chuckle}

On 1/28/2022 at 5:28 PM, mtaylor said:

Hmm.... your's is one of a kind then.  :rolleyes:

He definitely has a special one, doesn't he....

Quote:

Another update brothers..

Mast and Main Rotor... 

I decided to do this one with an unpainted mast, pretty much all the museum birds have painted masts so it was difficult to find good images... This is my interpretation...

IMG_9888.thumb.JPG.8c635b4fb5387d012c715fca0470d609.JPGIMG_9887.thumb.JPG.3c95611eb0cb708e83c90302b6de0084.JPG

Basic Mast and Rotor without all the details..... I painted it in MM chrome silver as it had that polished appearance then dry brushed it with a bit of metallic gray to break the sheen a bit...

Black wooden blades with yellow tips...

The control horns, Shock absorber links and Counterweights come next...

Bottom...

IMG_9889.thumb.JPG.ba4f66875828bf8c9f901c3da8b29621.JPG

Top...

IMG_9891.thumb.JPG.6835f5f48599fa991e10cdeeb4f81da8.JPG

And the full view assembly complete...

IMG_9892.thumb.JPG.58fa82f71e80f416e44b271d2cf69ec6.JPG

All the basic assembly is complete, now to let it sit for a day or two to fully cure while I finish up the H-13H....

An overall view, the mast and rotor isn't glued yet so if it appears to have a Lttle bit of a lean that will be cleared up when the final assembly after decaling takes place...

IMG_9893.thumb.JPG.5d491ec288f29613ec2e005fd8ce3d92.JPG

A little bit of paint, decals and she is done....

H-13H from Ft Wolters coming next....

Onwards....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Moving along now EG, looking good, I like the colours. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

That one turned out well, EG. Markings will make it pop.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 1/30/2022 at 6:05 AM, Edwardkenway said:

Moving along now EG, looking good, I like the colours. 

On 1/30/2022 at 8:57 AM, Canute said:

That one turned out well, EG. Markings will make it pop.

Thank you Ed & Ken, yeah the little bits of color add a certain something over the usual drab of olive color... The decals will certainly finish off the look even if they aren't that prominent....

the H-13H is a bit more colorful than an operating machine on the front lines though...... 

Quote:

Small update... H-13H Ft Wolters...

Basic airframe assembly complete...

IMG_9893.thumb.JPG.a77d8d8dfc7d67de6567d82ac5492259.JPG

Still a bit drab even with the orange-red high vis paint... The rotor will add a bit of pop...

Laying out the rotor patterns and beginning paint...

The tail rotor has the same pattern as the D model, it was a standard pattern applied at the factory... The main rotor on the other hand had a distinct high-vis pattern....

Bell13sps.jpg.1e02665f29055ee669d9f9b48b84e25d.jpg

As you can see in this pic, the pattern consisted of alternating white and red blocks on the rotor top surface... (the bottom remained black) the ideal was to be easily seen from above while in the air... it was hard enough as a trainee to pay attention to flying the bird and lose track of the airspace around you, the color blocks served to not only locate other aircraft in the air, but to let the trainee pilot know just how close he could get to another aircraft before there were space issues...

First we paint the top of the rotor with primer.. then lay out the pattern....

IMG_9894.thumb.JPG.a382e127d62adba092cd075fcc59d284.JPG

Next we start with the lightest color, in this case white...

IMG_9895.thumb.JPG.b52f63f62c6afc5dbf0e26d7ca7e9fff.JPG

You can barely see the four blocks of flat white against the primer .... Then, when dry, you coat those blocks of white with a sealer... I used Microscale's micro satin product to seal the white paint...

Once that is dry the red paint comes next...

IMG_9896.thumb.JPG.91ebde7b31ff5de081829651573be143.JPG

Flat Insignia Red...  Then you can paint the flat black without having to seal the red, the sealing coat is to prevent the red paint from bleeding into the white paint turning it pink...

Flat Black...

IMG_9897.thumb.JPG.9b27ed648eb3dc60cd2597a2bdf3d0de.JPG

IMG_9898.thumb.JPG.6de51b3a21991e7d0270d6831fd1be00.JPG

Not quite dry yet, next up is to finish the underside full length black with yellow tips and paint the center hub metallics...

Onwards my friends...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

On 1/28/2022 at 4:36 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Our wives think we are perfect and never make mistakes.

Your wife possibly. Mine is thoroughly convinced that the only thing keeping me from being completely useless is that I can always be used as a bad example! :( 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You are really progressing with these builds. Hope you have a prominent place to show them off when you are done. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You've made a lot of progress on these birds since I last checked in and they are looking great!  Excellent scratch work on the litters and everything carefully researched.  Very nice work Egilman.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 2/1/2022 at 1:19 AM, lmagna said:

You are really progressing with these builds. Hope you have a prominent place to show them off when you are done. 

Thank you Lou, steady sure progress, a little bit a day when I get the chance... And yeah I've got a place... getting a bit full but I'll make more room...

On 2/1/2022 at 6:34 AM, FriedClams said:

You've made a lot of progress on these birds since I last checked in and they are looking great!  Excellent scratch work on the litters and everything carefully researched.  Very nice work Egilman.

Gary

Thank you Gary, My plastic hacking ain't quite up to yours but I, like you, (and most everyone else around here as well) try to get it as authentic as possible... your work inspires me....

Quote:

Ok basic assembly is complete, we are now moving into the finishing stage...

A little eye candy is needed...

IMG_9905.thumb.JPG.4bb2b0d8e708780ebbcb18b4b72bda99.JPGIMG_9906.thumb.JPG.de15c2db6da70a4762fda9e6856f233a.JPGIMG_9904.thumb.JPG.19e9ba77ba6b0a02b9eb4cd7e9f30c56.JPGIMG_9903.thumb.JPG.76d1b8c3cc0534c2722d1d3a45194d47.JPGIMG_9902.thumb.JPG.dfe5de1af66cc39785b115bbdc7f7f7b.JPG

I think they came out ok, at least they should look the part....

Time to clear off the desk and break out the decaling stuff....

Going to take a short break for a day or two and then finish them off...

Onwards my friends, getting close now...

Quote:

Really nice job!  Well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Nice work, Egilman.   I must be stuck in the 20th century as I'm surprised they didn't put the markings on the bottom of main rotors also.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

11 hours ago, mtaylor said:

as I'm surprised they didn't put the markings on the bottom of main rotors also.  

In our unit we only had the top of one blade painted, (In our case white with both the tips on some of the ships done in yellow) They were all black from below.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 2/3/2022 at 5:54 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Really nice job!  Well done!

Thank you Mike It's really appreciated....

Quote:

On 2/3/2022 at 12:36 PM, mtaylor said:

Nice work, Egilman.   I must be stuck in the 20th century as I'm surprised they didn't put the markings on the bottom of main rotors also.  

Thanks Mark, I believe that the rational was it was a distraction to the pilot...

On 2/4/2022 at 12:39 AM, lmagna said:

In our unit we only had the top of one blade painted, (In our case white with both the tips on some of the ships done in yellow) They were all black from below.

Now that's an unusual one Lou, usually they did both sides equally, perchance could it have been a unit marking of some such?

Quote:

Time for a bit of an update... I know I said it will be a few days, but I just spent 12 hours working with 35+ year old decals, fragile is the word... DONE!!!

It's still not complete a few minor parts and some touching up and fixing to do... But I'm happy with it...

IMG_9907.thumb.JPG.fdd6d6a7f0e374b3c4f36c2333c81d09.JPGIMG_9908.thumb.JPG.a3f5119e491c751b7cf3250f27f86c33.JPGIMG_9909.thumb.JPG.e6df05fa74ba5b6995677f89430068aa.JPGIMG_9910.thumb.JPG.c0adb4cc9329192e1197dcfccd4b2549.JPGIMG_9911.thumb.JPG.09bb19d1f88e92281501a5a1c3918481.JPGIMG_9912.thumb.JPG.8f16dbf0cd04485b7549d18eaf82fbc9.JPGIMG_9913.thumb.JPG.3d3359cb757bc55ec1e9ad39b4764f0b.JPGIMG_9914.thumb.JPG.b4f54e6eb6c6f6b16b33fdbddf0a279d.JPGIMG_9915.thumb.JPG.01cfae8748b0d16892b0cd7b5aa1d76a.JPGIMG_9916.thumb.JPG.31a8a1c6441e064e29b8a4f53f17cd23.JPGIMG_9917.thumb.JPG.f48c4ae856301eb4f6c7f668cfde9250.JPGIMG_9918.thumb.JPG.c731060a02384423859bcc20c8a6819e.JPGIMG_9919.thumb.JPG.95996ac72b09965f1f1d9876f3d07920.JPGIMG_9920.thumb.JPG.f0ed76f19136e6488b57aabac09bf3cc.JPG

Now to work the decals on the H-13H...

EG

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

usually they did both sides equally, perchance could it have been a unit marking of some such?

Admittedly we are talking about over 40 years ago and I was trying for at least half of that time to hide and forget most of that year. Memory on some details may be faulty or even lacking. 

But if memory is any indicator then the only "Unit marking" on our slicks was the 4th army patch or more often:

C&C page

As I remember all tips were yellow or white. This would make a blurred circle on the tail rotor and a kind of dashed circle for the main rotor. Kind of looking at the dashed center lines in a highway as you drive down it. As I remember it, most of the choppers also had a single white blade on the top which made a very distinctive sweeping line, (Kind of like the sweeping radar line you see in the movies) in the blade ark that was even visible when you were not looking at it. Kind of a out of the corner of your eye thing that you were aware of even when you could not really see it, if that make any sense. (Probably not) I think this was an added signal to mark where the Hueys were even from a distance when the go fast guys flying the fixed wing ordinance came in to make deposits. Kind of "We are here" thing.

But like many aspects of the choppers that filled the flight line nothing was 100%. Rotors were being replaced all of the time for one reason or another just like doors, panels, gauges, windows and almost everything else. The white blade was probably not on all of them but it is in my memory. It could have been some kind of unit directory at one point or another, I have no idea. I was busy with other things and no one consulted me on the matter. My only involvement with any painting at all was to cover up some repair or another and the colors involved were usually OD, gray, or black. We had a little red here and there as well but I don't remember ever using it.

The high visibility markings were more to keep someone from walking into the tail rotor or when landing or taking off in confined spaces or LZs where you needed to keep the troops or cargo in a small area. When flying point to point we would tend to be spread out  and flying low. Once in a while we would fly higher when in no danger areas.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That is one thing I learned from my research, markings were all over the place. There was a general theme but after a few months in service all other markings became catch as catch can...

The funny thing is the white blade is a detail that didn't make it into the books, I've rechecked my sources and confirmed no one took a pic of it... or captured it on any film either... at least not that has been published... It's details like this that make being able to talk with someone who was there so interesting... Thank you Lou...

Quote:

Decaling the H-13H... DONE...

IMG_9921.thumb.JPG.e6e1a93afa890ead25473b23e0d70a4b.JPGIMG_9930.thumb.JPG.375a224c3a7df4e87d27313fa1b83837.JPGIMG_9922.thumb.JPG.839515906acef0599311d3c934900137.JPGIMG_9923.thumb.JPG.17eb372dcbf32b3e11228a486f8f9ef5.JPGIMG_9924.thumb.JPG.4aae6ac19f8bcfd68efe8b5233ee8e21.JPGIMG_9932.thumb.JPG.f74e8d50acba6f2d186369544782d82a.JPGIMG_9925.thumb.JPG.3ebcd4d851dcd58e6b8f646256cf2eea.JPGIMG_9929.thumb.JPG.61a20ae4f0508e50671ac613a13d4bf3.JPGIMG_9926.thumb.JPG.087cffb3058917d34b342cb4449733c0.JPGIMG_9928.thumb.JPG.d731ff5ec53c64919c22e7e28572df9b.JPGIMG_9931.thumb.JPG.3652ecdb521ec741eebb947e239943e8.JPGIMG_9927.thumb.JPG.c8335ce95e93b130df19f4e2971dbdbc.JPG

Only one more part for this one, the spot light hung under the bubble and then it's done....

At this point when they have the final little parts installed I'll be calling them done... I'll post a set of shots of each both alone and together...

Thank you for coming along on the journey, it was an interesting trip, although I don't think I'm going to do another 2-4-1 anytime soon...

Thank you

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Nicely done, EG. Really like the flying ambulance version.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Nice job EG, same as Ken, I like them both but the "evac" version just pops for me!

Onwards to the next project 😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Well done, Egilman.   They look about as perfect as one can do.  

A couple of points to talk about...  On deployment, true, no one worried about markings of any sort.  Stateside, I was in a pilot training unit and those birds were kept clean and all markings freshened as needed.   Stateside, we did have some red and white markings on the underside of the rotar blades near the rotor head.  Again, we were a training unit and had a few guys up top during "live" maintenance (rotor spinning for blade tracking) and who stood up.  Nothing more serious than some abrasions on the head and bruises when they hit the ground.  It could have been a lot worse.  But Korea was different back then.  Choppers were still in their infancy and the learning curve had just started.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: