Hello from sunny Southern California

My name is Dan and no I don’t build boats and drink beer at the same time although it is tempting sometimes when things go wrong. 

Here’s a little background on me - I started building plastic models as a kid with my dad. Most of them were cars but a fair share were also Rat Fink, Weird-O models, and custom car models. Once I started high school the model building stopped, too busy hanging out with my friends. Once out of high school I got back into the hobby and stated building plastic models again this time I built trucks and airplanes. I also tried my hand at building a wooden ship model. It was Billing Boats Lilla Dan. Got the hull built and then abandoned the hobby again.

Later in life I reconnected with my uncle who stayed active in the ship modeling world. Some of you may have known him. His name was Albert “Taylor” Grimes. He is no longer with us, but I credit him with getting me back into building wooden ship models.

He gave me a kit he had. It was Corel’s HMS Victory Cross Section. This was my first kit to get me back into wooden ship building. I completed the kit, but it looks rough. I believe that is the term used on the forum when the model just doesn’t look finished. My second wooden ship model was the Artesania Latina Sanson Tugboat. I completed that kit, but it has mistakes too. It looks great from 10 feet away but when you are close up you can see the mistakes, i.e., rough. See the picture below. Railings are terrible. Need to definitely improve on my metal working. lol.

IMG_3046.jpeg.486c2450d33f1c05aeb0c0c190ec30a8.jpeg

Which brings me to the present. I decided to step back and start over by building some wooden kits that will allow me to build my skills before trying kits that are more advanced. So, I have just started the Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory kit. I am learning patience and to take my time. Look for a build log soon.

For future builds I have the following kits waiting to be built:

Model Shipways Norwegian Sailing Pram

Model Shipways Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Model Shipways Chaperon Sternwheel Steamer

Billing Boats Lilla Dan (Yep going to try it again)

Occre San Francisco Cable Car (something different from a ship)

I’m glad to be a part of the Model Ship World forum and have also joined the Nautical Research Guild too. I look forward to getting to know everyone and sharing my model builds both good and bad. Hopefully sharing a mistake or mishap prevents other from doing the same. Your guidance, feedback and friendship will be greatly appreciated and will help me in my model building adventures.

Thank you for a great forum,

Dan aka boatsNbeers

Welcome aboard, Dan.

I have always like the looks of Lilla Dan -- hope you do well with her when you get around to it. If you are near Fullerton, check out the Ship Modelers Association, one of the largest local clubs in the country and an NRG partner. I was a member back in my SoCal days.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hi Dan, welcome to MSW.  When you're ready, open a build log.  We won't beat you up as logs are a great way to get help and advice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW Dan.   Very nice intro to yourself, it is very much appreciated to know a little about yourself and your goals.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello from the UK and a warm welcome to MSW/NRG.

That is an interesting array of subjects, looking forward to a build log,

✔️

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hello Dan! Welcome aboard to our great Forum...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Hi Dan and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have picked a good model for your re-entry into this hobby.  You also have a nice assortment of kits for your future builds.  I hope you share your progress with us on your builds.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thanks to everyone that replied to my introduction. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I am retired but also still working, so sometimes it takes a little time to get back to everyone on the forum. I really appreciate the encouragement and warm welcomes. It going to be a fun journey as we all progress through all of our builds.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me