HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Looks great Nils.  Could I ask how you made the ladder, its very precisely made.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

thank you Jason,

unfortunately I have no milling Equipment for such precise ladder making, so I buy little ladder kits (material for two ladders per kit) from RB-Models web shop. The mini kits are comprising the cheeks and the steps that have to be inserted and glued into the Slots, all in several different scales

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils, I have not seen that site before.  Shame that they do not seem to use 1:64 scale!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason,

I`m using the RB article 005 1449 It is declared scale 1:72 but is f

itting wonderfull with 8 or 9 steps from deck to deck for models in scale 1:64 ( step to step is 3mm = 192 mm actual))

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

thanks a lot B.E.

an approval from your side for this solution means a lot, I know we both exchanged thoughts on this some time ago, versa your Version with the plankways both sides, which also Look good, but now was the time it could be done.

The to be cut deckbeam in that Position was supported from beneath with two pillars. Perhaps I shall leave away the ladder on the port side.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Build log part 38

I am working at the forecastle in the moment,

the deck, the deck rails, the the gratings and roamings, the catheads, etc....

post-3445-0-61379500-1402248206_thumb.jpg

prefitting Position check

post-3445-0-44901700-1402248209_thumb.jpg

the galley chimney shall be dressed to fit for final shape later on...

post-3445-0-05893100-1402248212_thumb.jpg

catheads (double sheaved) fitted on top of eking rail and cathead supporters, The mainrail shall be fitted later on

post-3445-0-43812700-1402248214_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-27602100-1402248217_thumb.jpg

the catheads slip in with tight fit

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looks Great Nils, I like all the detail work that you have done , Incredible workmanship Beautiful Job

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete,

the time is now not far from putting on the forecastle and the aft quarter deck permanently, but all Fitting-out that goes underneath will have to be rigged first (anchor cables, Messenger cable and appropriate guns and their rigging)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Makes sense Nils, She will look Fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Moving on to the chain-plate mounting....

although I tried to get the individual link lenghths in size to enable the lowest mounting Point above the wales, I could not get them all alingned in a straight horizontal row, but I`ll leave as is. therefore the deadeyes are all horizontal in a row which I felt is more important.

post-3445-0-94591400-1402563175_thumb.jpg

main mast arrangement

post-3445-0-78306400-1402563178_thumb.jpg

fore mast arrangement

post-3445-0-32546500-1402563181_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-66612100-1402563183_thumb.jpg

the alignment angles I get with a string from the appropriate hight of a preliminary 8 mm diam. mast with an adjustable dummy top-platform in hight for main and foremast

post-3445-0-99812900-1402563185_thumb.jpg

Build log part 39 to follow...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looking very nice Nils.  I took the same approach as you on the chain alignment.  Something I will probably do on my next built is to actually built the tops and preliminary rig the shrouds to the get the best line possible.  I found that because of the different heights that the shrouds sit at because they stack and then align backward, the angle I originally set them at is slightly out in some cases.  I'm sure no-one else other than me would notice though!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Nils, Good call on the Deadeye's , Your build looks Fantastic , Very Impressive , I have been enjoying see her come together

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Jason,

you`re right with the stepped shrouds, and I also felt like taking a Little risk in doing like I did to find the angles

(no risk, no fun... ) I hope it won`nt turn out wrong to set the chain plates at this building stage.

On the partial outcut portside its going to be more tricky because there is no "Skin" to bolt the chainlinks to, have to find an alternative solution for that...

Nils

Pete,

thanks for your words, yes slowly it is coming together, and yet if I ever would build another one of these 18th century models there are so many little inspiring solutions tricks and ways gained from this MSW Forum, how to do things better, recognizing that it would probably be taking at least twice the time to build. (depending on the own set obligations)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great point Nils, I wonder if you could attach the deadeye strops into the channels with epoxy and leave out the chains. I'm sure you'll figure out something that works for you.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks for your "strops into the channels..." solution Jason,

I`m afraid that that Version would put to much tension on the channels from above, as the channels should actualy only spread the shroud- and backstay chords outwards. A unpurposed knock on the masts during handling could rip off the channels, even in spite of the rather riged channelsupports

I have an idea of how it could be done without putting additional tension on the channels, will do some Trials tomorrow and post it if I`m satisfied with it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 39

post-3445-0-70962800-1402678810_thumb.jpg

chain plates (here in the Moment only those for 5mm deadeyes) on closed, planked starboard side

post-3445-0-35918000-1402678814_thumb.jpg

port side foremast chainplates, as far as the planking is in place the complete chain is fitted, in the area of the cutaway portions, I use one of the stringers together with length-dressed chain plates and leaving away the the lower cap plate. The boltings are placed at half width of the stringer

post-3445-0-31992500-1402678817_thumb.jpg

Mainmast chainplates, I trust it is a solution that does not look too much out of the way after all

post-3445-0-22262000-1402678820_thumb.jpg

thealignment angles can be set just like on the planked starboard side

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, Looks Fantastic, beautiful work , nicely done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thank you Pete,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

looking good Nils.........you have some great looking chains there as well!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Martin,

sometimes these close up are quite good for explaining details, but they also have no mercy in covering up Little misfits and, messing with CA, etc....

Thank you Popeye,

well I still hope that the later rigging of shrouds and backstays will meet with the angles I made with aid of a dummy string

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great information Nils - I am starting on my chain plates so this is very timely.  I will not have my upper rigging so I have a little less difficulty (angles just have to look good and will not be tested by the actual shrouds!).

I am looking to use 20 gauge wire and am hoping that will do the trick.

Looking great as usual!

Mark

Thanks Mark,

sounds interesting with the use of wire on your model, will you be manteling the wire with Cotton thread ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The method that you are using for laying out the angles for the chain plates makes a lot of sense Nils.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thank you Michael,

hopefully the method proves well once I have masts and platforms ready, but that will take some time i gues. The reason I put the chains on now was that I wanted to do it as Long as I still have access to the chain bolts, iff needed, before anchor- and gun rigging is done and before the forecastle- and Quarterdeck are permanently put on

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Starting the anchor rigging (beginning with the port side, cable stowed in hold)

The starboard side anchor cable shall be lashed to the messenger with help of the gundeck capstan

post-3445-0-79830100-1403091901_thumb.jpg

port side anchor cable (2mm ) stowed in tied Loops in cargo hold on top of cargo Barrels

(sorry for a Little unsharp pic)

post-3445-0-93888700-1403091904_thumb.jpg

secured on front bit and resting on horizontal beam with Messenger lead rollers, so that there is no rubbing against the Manager boards, and cable leaves hull through the inner bow hawse hole

post-3445-0-47793400-1403091908_thumb.jpg

coming out through opening (outcut) in main-hold deck grating

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, Looks Good , where did you get the rope for your cable ? looks good, Nice work as always beaytifully done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks for your appreciative words Pete,

the anchor cable can either be bought from this web-shop http://www.modellbau-takelgarn.de/index2.php

or from Chuck`s Syren shop

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed