HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Very smart way of Fixing the carriages B.E.

thanks for sharing your experience

I have to remember that one....

I had finaly put a drop of CA on each of the four wheels. The metal wheel rims would prevent the CA from soaking into the Wood and rundown the outer rim to the lowest Point (contactpoint to deck). The tricky Point is to get the Tackling on and by untangling the threads with several tweesers at the same time I was straining my brain how this could be avoided. Sometimes the tiny 3 mm block slipped out of the stropping and I had to relax inbetween to Keep calm....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

...I catch myself every time on knees and elbows swaying / feeling the Hands over the carpet when one of
these parts has fallen down,bounced a few times on the carpet taking an undefinated direction ...

So familiar. We all from time to time have to fall on our knees to pray to the God Of Accident And Clumsiness

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thank you Ben

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

...I catch myself every time on knees

and elbows swaying / feeling the

Hands over the carpet when one of

these parts has fallen down,

bounced a few times on the carpet

taking an undefinated direction ...

So familiar. We all from time to time have to fall on our knees to pray to the Good Of Accident

Thanks Nenad,

I think I I had the choise again to determine the floor decor in my hobbyroom it would be uni-Color...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils -- That gun rigging is impressive not only for its detail but for the sheer complexity.  YIKES!  I don't know how you can find your way, even with a list!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you Martin,

the most tricky sequence on the whole build to date is the fideling and sheaving of those tiny 3 mm blocks, with two tweezers, a scalpel and a very sharp Little scissors in Operation. I am looking out for a way to do that more professional, because in the Moment it is very much time consuming

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, have you tried tweezers used by jewels for working with pearls? I know some modelers who have them and they are the cats meow for holding blocks securely.

David B

Thanks for the tip David,

I never saw or heard of those Special jewelery tweezers before, but I`ll go on search after that....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I have no doubt that you will resolve this, Nils

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nils -- I have a supply of 3 mm blocks that I got for the gun tackle, and I never even tried to use them because they're so tiny.  I'll be intrigued to see your resolution (your hands are obvsiously steadier than mine!).

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

David,

I found several different type "Pearl tweezers" by Ebay, Thanks again for your tip

Nenad,

probably I shall stick to the method I already practiced with success, but very weary to go indeed

Martin,

my Hands are still quite steady but my eyes are at the Limit when trying to get the thread into the sheave hole

Nils

Build log part 42

stropping the tiny blocks....

this is the way I do it, pending having knowledge of an easier way, of which I do not know yet...

post-3445-0-31749900-1403790961_thumb.jpg

I work with These medical grip tweezers. One hold the block firmly in place and allows Access to the notched groove for the strop (both sides)

post-3445-0-12384200-1403790965_thumb.jpg

tie a first Little Loop around a small sized drillshaft into the thread, this Loop goes to one end of the block

post-3445-0-33074500-1403790967_thumb.jpg

two strop Ends layed around the block

post-3445-0-46600500-1403790969_thumb.jpg

and fixed carefuly into the grooves, whereby the Loop must sit on Center Position aft of the block

post-3445-0-22485600-1403790971_thumb.jpg

here the second tweezer Comes into the game... and holds the positioned strops in place so that the second knot can be tied, capturing the block as tight as possible

post-3445-0-44871200-1403790973_thumb.jpg

then Looks like this....

post-3445-0-17662200-1403790975_thumb.jpg

double- and single sheave blocks

post-3445-0-23704000-1403790977_thumb.jpg

repeatable work.... to go

post-3445-0-32767400-1403790979_thumb.jpg

the thread (rope) I use is 0,3mm hemp Colored 100% Polyester, the Advantage of Polyester is that it can be heated thined down and stretched at the end. Otherwise I would never get those Ends through the mini sheave holes

post-3445-0-99162000-1403790980_thumb.jpg

ist just a very fast touching of the thread end into the flame, and then immediately stretching it out between thumb an pointer finger. Always have to do several attempts to get the right thined out end

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice work Nils, Nice to see how you got the blocks ready ,

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

post-3445-0-85707900-1403792365_thumb.jpg

the thined out end is only appr. half the original Diameter, and there is no fringing out of the end. By this means it is easier to fiddle the thread into (and through) the sheave hole

Build log part 43 to follow....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

very interesting method Nils.........something to remember ;)  haven't had the chance to work with blocks that small...........my days are numbered though.   my Half Moon has some 2 mm blocks........that should be fum  {that's fun,  with some degree of fumble in it}  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 mm blocks Popeye

must be something for watchmakers or so, where the the whole mothly production Output fit in a matchbox.

Would love to see if anyone has tackled those yet

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you Donny

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you Geoff

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

That series of photos shows a fine technique, Nils.  Fascinating.  Two questions, though:  how often do you burn your fingers on that heated polyester?  and how do you keep the polyester thread knotted tightly?  Every time I've used anything but cotton, the knots all come loose.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

I can confirm opening knots on Polyester Martin,

thats exactly what I also experienced. To avoid knots opening I put a very small dosis of CA on the knot (with toothpick) and also on the side grooves of the block only, so it ca`nt slip out of ist "harness" again. Be careful not to get CA into the sheave holes. I do two knots on top of each other before applying CA. The second knot already hinders the first from opening

surprizingly the molten Polyester cools down so fast that the heat is not even felt between the fingers. Of course Keep the fingers well away from the tourch-flame. Lucky to say no burnt fingers to date. The tourch is left burning because there is no time to Switch it off. It stands safe on the Gastank base. It takes a litte practice to be fast with the fingers when thinning out the end of the thread...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Hipexec,

those are stainless steel artery clamps ( like used in surgery operations), I would`nt want to miss them in my Toolbox any more.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 43

still rigging the guns

post-3445-0-62319000-1404038565_thumb.jpg

The tackle jig is of great help to avoid tangling of the chords

post-3445-0-66171200-1404038569_thumb.jpg

The naval officer inspects the tackle maker`s 3 mm block tackles...

post-3445-0-44202000-1404038572_thumb.jpg

one by one the rigging of the guns process continues

post-3445-0-12250100-1404038575_thumb.jpg

wirtgh 25 mm figures there is no Problem with the deckbeam hights

post-3445-0-64041600-1404038577_thumb.jpg

the guns on the cutaway deckside are Standing on rails

post-3445-0-29033300-1404038580_thumb.jpg

the last gun on port side

post-3445-0-77993700-1404038582_thumb.jpg

the gundeck capstan will be rigged with the Messenger cable, when I get the anchor cable

post-3445-0-97972000-1404038585_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-26146700-1404038589_thumb.jpg

this area of gundeck and beneath will be partly visible through the cutawy quarterdeck

post-3445-0-23294700-1404038593_thumb.jpg

Build log 44 to follow....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Although I've looked in now and again I never have said anything on your build. This is because it is the Scratch Forum while I mostly hang out in the Kit Forum .

Great work on your Pegasus - everything looks very authentic. You do have a lot of rope on the decks from the gun tackles. That is why I left the rear tackles off my Fly but that is just a choice...Anyway good stuff and keep it coming!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Alistair,

thanks for dropping in. I also often look into yours (great looking) and the other Fly / Pegasus builds here on MSW.

Perhaps I would have left away the tackles beneath QD and forecastle deck if the were not those cutaway giving view from above. The rough coiled up gun shifting ropes on deck is probably how they were shortly before or after interaction, as all guns are pushed out. Tidy coiled ropes would probably go with all guns backed in and secured and ship alongside Pier

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils

Excellent work, excellent craftsmanship

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks for your words Geoff

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, Beautiful work, excellent craftsmanship.

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

nice appreciative comment Pete,

Thank you very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed