If this really is boxwood. is it a good price?

Boxwood.png.cd9ea61e41323db8fbfaf3dba061f667.png

The total is 12 pcs.The size of 2 large boxwood carving blocks is 2x2x6 in.The size of 4 medium blocks is 1.5x1.5x4.5 in.The size of 4 small wood blocks is 1x1x3 in.

At Amazon     $30

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

If it's actually boxwood it's a good price.  Not sure who Woosteel is or where they're located (no info on Amazon).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thinking it's probably China..

I'm going to check it out..

Next day, free shipping..

Edited by Gregory

—MICHAEL ROSE

The term "boxwood" is commonly used to describe three types of wood that display similar characteristics.  The name can refer to European boxwood, Buxus sempervirens; Asian boxwood, Buxus microphylla or Castelo, AKA South American box wood, Calycophyllum multiflorum.  Buxus sempervirens is the classic, most desirable type.  B. microphylla is a close second.  Castelo is similar in appearance but it's from a different Genus and does not work the same as the other two. Castelo is the one most commonly found for sale and for the price listed, I'm guessing what you have there is Castelo.  It's a good wood for modeling but it's not "real" box.

B. sempervirens is sold on the local market and only after someone cuts one down for landscaping purposes. It's a very slow growing tree, doesn't get very big and one with a trunk or limbs big enough to saw from will be from around 100 to a few hundred years old.  B. microphylia grows faster and bigger.  Castelo can produce plank sized lumber.

They are based in China.

You should ask if its really Calycophyllum multiflorum (castello boxwood) or its something else.

Its hard to say based on photos if its real….

Real looks like this.

You can pm me if you are interested as we also offer carving blocks sizes based on request.

Vahur

Hobbymill.EU

5222EF42-72E2-462B-8043-E1752C5103DE.jpeg

F0D3E051-18D6-44C8-B500-023626E7F340.jpeg

boxwood.jpg.9c0dfa25ecc6d0148cd2f0bfea1d02b2.jpg

Here is what I received..  It looks like other castelo I have, and have seen in the past.

It is very dense and fine grained. The finish is marble smooth.

May be a while before I see how it saws and carves..

The big pieces are 15cm long and 5cm square.

I have yet to see anything compared to this price in this type of size..

Here are a couple of eBays:

South American Castelo Boxwood turning blank 1-7/16" x 1-7/16 x 6   $13.25 shipped.

Boxwood Logs for Knife Handle Scales Blanks Wood carving, 15cm Length, 1 piece $37 shipped

Those prices seem pretty outrageous, but I guess someone is buying it..

—MICHAEL ROSE

$30 is a good price. I'm always a little wary about buying wood from Ebay or Amazon. I usually buy from a from a reputable dealer here in the US. I wish there was one close enough to visit. As to the cost for wood (and books), the prices are all over the place. The only thing I'm sure of is this stuff is not going to get cheaper in the future, so I'm stocking up when I can.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Do you have Amazon Prime?

I can return this within 30 days, no questions asked, even if I use some of it.. 

I would not buy wood from eBay..  Too much hassle if not satisfied..

—MICHAEL ROSE

Hi

If you are interested i can offer you castello boxwood blocks cut to size. I have 50x100 and 50x150(maybe even 200, have to check) i think. Lengths up to client.

Price would about 17 -18 eur/kg plus shipping. Ships to US, Canada and Australia also (inc. EU).

Pm if you are interested.

Vahur

Hobbymill.EU

You're going to hate this.  At one time I had so many pieces similar to those as I was basically giving them away if someone would pay the postage!  I'm still using one in the bottom of my shop vac to hold up the bag so that it doesn't tear when it gets loaded.  They are Castello.

Edited by Boatsinc2000

Jeff

aka HobbyMill

NRG Member

Current Build: Constitution

No reason to  hate..  Times have changed.

I bought this on a whim just to check the quality, knowing I could return it if I had a problem..

Getting a decent board, or combination of similar pieces from Gilmer would probably put me at least $30 before shipping costs..

Our sponsor Modelers Sawmill has some nice sheets for what seems a reasonable price..

—MICHAEL ROSE

Sorry if my comment came across poorly.   You got a good deal.  I was lamenting that I offered carving blocks for a long time and I don't believe that I ever sold one.  Probably will regret getting rid of most of them.  In those days not many builders had the tools that they have today nor the interest in carving.

As to the question on Castello,  the other boxwoods are smaller bush like trees and rarely produce pieces this large.  Think 1-2" branches and its very expensive.  Castello, which is not a true boxwood, comes in large boards typically 2"+ thick and 4-7" wide x 4-8 feet long.  Castello comes from S. America.  English boxwood is a little more yellow, but some of Gregory's pieces have excellent yellow color.  Some of the color patterns are very typical of Castello,  but that's the lesser distinctive feature.  Castello makes an excellent modeling wood.   I sold more Castello than all other woods combined. 

Jeff

aka HobbyMill

NRG Member

Current Build: Constitution

JohnLea:  

Another tip to help ID Buxus sempervirens:  Usually, it's sold by what are termed as "logs" with bark on.  Think four inch dia. x eight inches long as a big one.  It's bought and sold by the pound so no one who wholesales it can afford the waste and kerf loss entailed after cutting it to dimension for convenient use by the retail customer.  They are left to watch and lament their loss as they saw it up for use.  

This tree has a very curvy trunk and limbs, exhibiting what is termed "tortuous growth".  There just aren't any straight sections of it to yield long, straight pieces.

B. sempervirens has never been cultivated with the idea of providing a sustained supply.  What was growing wild was used up long ago.  It's always been in demand for carving and model-making.  A tremendous amount was used for print-blocks for the first movable-type printing presses.  Rulers, tool handles and medical/scientific instruments accounted for much of it as well. 

It's a very slow growing tree.  If you plant some today, and your family manages to hold on to the land, your great-great grandchildren may profit from your effort.

Box was the preferred tree/bush planting for the hedgerows still separating many agricultural fields in England and Europe.  Altering or removing one of these will produce a short lived, local market for the trees removed.  

14 hours ago, Boatsinc2000 said:

Sorry if my comment came across poorly.   

Really it didn't..  I sensed the spirit of your comment..   

Actually, I do hate the idea that I missed out on some essentially free stuff, that is hard to get today at any price..

It's like the thought of  all the comic books and baseball/football cards I had as a kid in the 50's...

—MICHAEL ROSE