Soleil Royal 1/72 - Artesania Latina Ref.22904

modeller_masa

• 3 months later...

Hello friends. Is anyone familiar with this kit? Is it worth it? SR is one of my all time favorite subjects.

Thank you!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

For $900 I would expect  a little reality from the kit producer.  The photos show belaying pins.  Belaying pins were not used on French (or English) warships in the 17th century, and if they had been they would not be the size of  bowling pins.  The gratings look nothing like gratings on a ship of any era.  The sided and moulded dimensions of the frames on the ship's boats are huge compared to what they would have been.  There are more items,  but in the end you are the one to decide if these kinds of things are important, or maybe consider doing a kit bashing to correct them.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you very much for your comments!

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Haven't seen the kit in person, but I've always like how well Artesania Latina kits go together. Also, they tend to be easy to upgrade.

As Allan mention, the kit is pricey. But, minor things like gratings and belaying pins are cheap to swap in. Or, if it is the case that such a ship would have had no belaying pins, eliminate all together. One things I've always enjoyed is upgrading kit builds, making them different from other builds.

Artesania Latina seems to be trying much harder to make their kits better since they are under a new owner. They may have a ways to go yet, but then they have to deal with the sourcing of their fittings and such. But, as a kit manufacturer, they appear to have done a very nice job.

I for one would love to see a build log of this kit.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 1 month later...

It is a matter of opinion. I think that the AL and OcCre kits are overall pretty good designed or engineered. By that I mean, the construction goes well together and is for a modeler pretty "easy" to build in comparison to let say most Italian brands (except Amati). However, I agree that the Spanish labels tend to use generic materials like gratings, boats, pins, anchors, cannons and re-use them for almost all their models. Out of scale or out of period or not. It's all about cost control. For a modeler not always pleasing to see or use and require bashing to get the model to a better or higher standard. But it seems that's common with most brands.

The newer / upgraded kits all have laser-cut parts with perfect fitting. However, cheap plywood is used for almost everything. Exotic woods (walnut) are expensive and getting rare in their kits. Something to due with regulations, availability and costs. So, now they sell all sort paints and stains to give the cheap wood a representative "look". Cheaper wood costs less, extra sale on paint and stains, the price of the kit remains the same or goes up due to the "better and upgraded" marketing label and are all benefits for the owner / investor of the company.

So with the Soleil Royal kit, this is no exception and we see a kit pretty "good" in overall appearance kit. When you zoom in, it's where the issues start. Lots of paint and cheap materials but with a high price on sale. It's "upgradable", but as a modeler you have to spend the extra bucks to achieve your goal. 

One thing I have to say is that the ornament or sculptures of this kit and also of the Vasa kit are exceptionally nice and very beautiful to see. It is what really will sell this kit! 

On 2/12/2022 at 9:37 PM, allanyed said:

For $900 I would expect  a little reality from the kit producer.  The photos show belaying pins.  Belaying pins were not used on French (or English) warships in the 17th century, and if they had been they would not be the size of  bowling pins.  The gratings look nothing like gratings on a ship of any era.  The sided and moulded dimensions of the frames on the ship's boats are huge compared to what they would have been.  There are more items,  but in the end you are the one to decide if these kinds of things are important, or maybe consider doing a kit bashing to correct them.

Allan

There is also no ornamentation on the outboard side of the bulwarks, yet, the ship was well known for her rich ornamentation.

Bill

At some point in my life, I build the Heller Soleil Royal, so I have a weak spot on this object...

And, sure, I'm not an experienced modeller, not a good one, but I also want to share my opinion on this kit.

I'm full with Katsumoto: the selling point of this are the ornaments and the sculpures! I think they are very nice and well done.

Most of them are used in the Stem and the Stern assembly. I would say (but there are more pros about the french ships here in this forum than I am), both are more in line with the actual research. For example the six windows in the stern.

I would also point out, that the full guns are obviciously new for this kit, and they match the originals quite well. I can't say anything about the gun-cars.

I think, that are realy strong pro's for this kit. And perhaps the development of this alone eats the bulk of the costs of this.

Downsides: the sides of the ship are missing a lot of its decoration. Perhaps the most easy ones to create by yourself. They are only a view variations, cast the rest at will.

Another downside: the blocks for rigging. I mean, this kind of rig with sails will need severel hundrets, if not thousands of blocks. And in this kit are only blops of ply! You need to carve and drill them all before you can use them.

But, I think I can understand what was going on Artesanias mind, or, better: that's my explanation of the shortcommings: they wanted to stay under the magic 1.000.-€/ price tag at any cost (ok, bad joke)!

We all know what good blocks alone costs on the aftermarket.

In the end I have no idear, but I think, this would have cost at least 1.5 times or perhaps 2xtimes it actual price tag if they did all the things we don't like on that kit. I don't know how that would sell.

It should be possible do build a nice model out of it, if you are willing to add what is missing, but it will cost you some additional bucks.

I also have a weak spot for the Soleil Royal.  To me, there is one real advantage of the Heller kit over the various wooden varieties; her cannons.  All wooden versions use the same size cannons on each of her decks while Heller provides cannons of three different sizes to match what she carried.  I know that the Heller cannons have received much criticism in the past for being undersized, but they match up to those drawn in Les Vasseaux.  In my opinion, Heller did a nice job of them.

Anyway, given that I rarely have a spare $1,000.00 to spend on a model kit, I will probably choose a different ship, perhaps Sovereign of the Seas.

Bill

4 hours ago, Bill Morrison said:

Anyway, given that I rarely have a spare $1,000.00 to spend on a model kit, I will probably choose a different ship, perhaps Sovereign of the Seas.

Bill

I just bagged my attempt at building Panart's SotS. Worst kit I have ever attempted, in my very personal opinion. Cheers.

I don't know why I do this, because I will not buy this kit, but as I already said, I like the Ship, and a new kit about it is interesting :-).

Abut the different guns. You are right, all the older kits have the same guns on every deck. Plain stupid. But not this one here! I downloaded the instruction manual, and for the third deck, forecastle and upper deck at the stern, they used three different sizes of gun barels. Thats's prety good, I think.

But what is not good at the same time: they seem to use the same size of gun-cars for this. But everybody who is realy interested in this kit should ckeck this for themselves.

Another pro: the first battery is cut out for 16 guns, that's the first SR doin this, and this is IMO also the actual state of research.

Another con: but I can not prove this, this is more a 'feeling': I'm not sold about the overall look/size/form/lines/hight/etc. if I compare this to the outstanding researched and developed builds of both NekO and michel saunier.

I believe NekO wrote in his build, that AL used some drawings from him without permission. That would be a pro for the kit, bat a realy realy BIG NO GO for the manufacturer and reason enough not to buy this until this is sorted out.

Dear friends,

Firstly thank you for your comments. Our kits are not perfect - but we work to make them as good as possible and your comments are welcome and well noted for the future.

Regarding the NekO drawing we used, we are in the process of clarifying and rectifying our mistake.

Best regards from Spain.

It is nice to see the companies that manufacture our kits, to come and post comments and paying attention to what we, their customers, have to say regarding their products.

Enhorabuena, Artesania Latina!

Hello all,

I am really liking all your comments. I am finishing the OcCre Diana. I love it, and I have been eye-balling this as my next kit. I find your ideas about this ship compelling. I would be interested to learn how to “bash” this model up. I have funding, so I would love to do more with this kit.  Could you direct me to ideas on how to Go beyond with a ship?

BTW: One thing about this kit that I think is incredible is the detail of their instructions. I feel I can actually complete this ship without hitting the inevitable road blocks of poor pictures or poorly translated and vague instructions. 

thanks all!

Jesse 

Current Build:

HMS Sphinx - 1775 (Vanguard Models)

Previous Builds:

Diana - 1792 (OcCre)

USS Constitution - Cross Section - 1797 (Mamoli)

Galleon San Francisco II - 16th c. (Artesania Latina)

On 3/28/2022 at 12:50 AM, Erdict said:

BTW: One thing about this kit that I think is incredible is the detail of their instructions. I feel I can actually complete this ship without hitting the inevitable road blocks of poor pictures or poorly translated and vague instructions. 

Hello,

Many customers complain about us not including printed instructions or detailed plans in many of our models and changing these for a DVD or downloadable instructions, but you made the point explaining the main reason why we're working in this way lately.

We understand many classic modelers may prefer the old instructions and plans, but we feel we're making now the best instructions we have ever done (and by the way, the best instructions any kits manufacturer puts in the market).

Around 400 pages of instructions for Soleil Royal or over 500 pages for our new HMS Endeavour are examples of this.

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:28 AM, Artesania Latina said:

Hello,

Many customers complain about us not including printed instructions or detailed plans in many of our models and changing these for a DVD or downloadable instructions, but you made the point explaining the main reason why we're working in this way lately.

We understand many classic modelers may prefer the old instructions and plans, but we feel we're making now the best instructions we have ever done (and by the way, the best instructions any kits manufacturer puts in the market).

Around 400 pages of instructions for Soleil Royal or over 500 pages for our new HMS Endeavour are examples of this.

I think this is one of the best progress or results Artesania Latina has made lately, is to make a very detailed building manual with a lot of pictures explaning how to make each step!
However, I think AL can make each kit more interesting to create kit options. So, you can buy the "standard" version with "cheap" woods and a lot of plywood and requires paint. Or you buy the "premium" version and replace the cheap wood with descent hardwood like "Walnut" or "Oak" or "Cherry or Pear", more PE materials and better guncarriages, ropes etc. Some " classic modelers don't like to paint their models and just want to spend some extra money for an upgrade. At this moment this is not possible and not all modelers can mill their own lumber. 😉

On 3/23/2022 at 3:36 AM, Artesania Latina said:

Our kits are not perfect

Agreed.

Katsumoto has a great point.  If you look at the build logs there is an inordinately high percentage of one or two brands that do exactly as Katsumoto suggests in addition to them doing a lot of research before marketing a kit.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I am not permitted to specifically reference the builder or forum, however, one builder has undertaken a "re-engineering" of the "Artesania Latina Soleil Royal" that shows exactly what is possible with this kit.  And let me tell you - it is surprising!  Out of the box, on the other hand, there are nuuuuuuuumerous problems with this kit.  It's chief benefit is the fact that the bulkheads, as drawn, are actually pretty faithful to a first-rate of the period.  The ornamentation, particularly of the stern, is very good - far better than anything yet produced (apart from Heller, which copies Tanneron directly).  Overall, the kit more closely resembles Michel Saunier's model of SR.  I am a proponent - and since I know they are paying attention to this forum, at least - of AL doing a re-design of their own release.  IT COULD BE SO MUCH BETTER.  It should be so much better.  Do it better, AL!  People pay a lot of money for these kits.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:38 PM, Ulises Victoria said:

I just bagged my attempt at building Panart's SotS. Worst kit I have ever attempted, in my very personal opinion. Cheers.

I have already asked once, but could you please enlighten me on the problems you encountered with SoS? I'm curious.

Thanks!

Bill

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just picked up this kit and hope to get to it in about 6 months after my present builds are done.    The Youtube pieces about the kit are very good at giving you a feel of what you are getting.   I am not so much a stickler for making things historically accurate.   I just want a kit that will result in a pleasing model that 99% of those who see it will marvel and not be aware of the "historical inaccuracies"   

My biggest issue at this point is having the instructions on a DVD.    My computers  will not open up any files on the DVD.    (Note, I did download them from the website and those work nicely).   But this is going to necessitate my adding a computer to my work room so that I can access the instructions easily. 

Once I start the kit I will probably do a build log.

• 3 weeks later...