Bismarck by hof00 - FINISHED - Amati - 1/200 - Partworks

IMG_20230101_205709334.jpg

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

6 hours ago, Ian B said:

Hi.. I am still confused about her markings, the AOS says it had them blanked out as per the instructions breaking out through the Denmark straights but had the markings and yellow roofs of the main turrets reapplied before the final show down..I can't see how they had time to repaint! 

Hi Ian,

From my understanding, the "Full Baltic Stripes, (Superstructure), were removed prior to May 21st and the Deck Markings Greyed out just after this as were the Hull Baltic Stripes leaving the Bow/Stern Waves and leaving just the White remnants of the Stripes on the Water Line.

I have not done enough research as yet to be 100% accurate.

(Joe100 is a superb source of information with respect to Bismarck.)

I guess they had many crew to paint things. 😀

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

A small update is better than none....

(I got the Bow/Stern "Air Recognition Markings" on.

This process worked o.k and I can now see the valur of Gloss Polyurethane as a "Grounding for the Decals.

I also rate the "Micro-Set."

The Decals are still drying and I may go over the Bow Decal with "Micro-Sol" later. (It depends on how the Decal dries over the raised Fore Deck areas.

I am reasonably happy with my efforts today and am preparing the Stern Hatches for installation hopefully tomorrow.

Initially, I liked the Deck without the Decals but am coming round to the idea that it adds a bit of color. 😀

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0800[1].jpg

DSC_0801[1].jpg

DSC_0802[1].jpg

DSC_0803[1].jpg

DSC_0804[1].jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

4 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi All,

Small update:

This process worked o.k and I can now see the valur of Gloss Polyurethane as a "Grounding for the Decals.

The Decals are still drying and I may go over the Bow Decal with "Micro-Sol" later. (It depends on how the Decal dries over the raised Fore Deck areas.

I am reasonably happy with my efforts today and am preparing the Stern Hatches for installation hopefully tomorrow.

Initially, I liked the Deck without the Decals but am coming round to the idea that it adds a bit of color. 😀

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0800[1].jpg

DSC_0801[1].jpg

DSC_0802[1].jpg

DSC_0803[1].jpg

DSC_0804[1].jpg

Micro set  and  sol   are  your buddies   -  keep  applying  till  your  happy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi Ian,

From my understanding, the "Full Baltic Stripes, (Superstructure), were removed prior to May 21st and the Deck Markings Greyed out just after this as were the Hull Baltic Stripes leaving the Bow/Stern Waves and leaving just the White remnants of the Stripes on the Water Line.

I have not done enough research as yet to be 100% accurate.

(Joe100 is a superb source of information with respect to Bismarck.)

I guess they had many crew to paint things. 😀

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Thanks Harry 

5 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi All,

Small update:

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0800[1].jpg

DSC_0801[1].jpg

DSC_0802[1].jpg

DSC_0803[1].jpg

DSC_0804[1].jpg

Looks fab....makes her look even more menacing...

You're getting there little by little on this big project, Harry. Wishing you all the best in 2023!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

13 hours ago, Ian B said:

Looks fab....makes her look even more menacing...

Thanks Ian,

Interesting excerpt from AOTS. (I am assuming)

Unsure about the Yellow Turret tops.

I agree that the markings make Bismarck more "Menacing."

(I like to say "Purposeful." 😀)

I am happier having the markings rather than a big slab of Grey....

May not be 100% historically accurate but never mind.... No one will ever know apart from real Bismarck aficionados or those on this wonderful site!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

14 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Micro set  and  sol   are  your buddies   -  keep  applying  till  your  happy.

OC.

Thanks OC.

I am not 100% happy with the Fore Desal where it goes over the Anchor Chin Decking.

I feel the edges are not "Sharp" enough. (I have given these parts about 3 "Doses" thus far.)

Do you think that extra applications of Micro-Sol will do the trick?

Having never really used this stuff I don't know if I'll get a nasty buildup of this product.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

2 hours ago, BobG said:

You're getting there little by little on this big project, Harry. Wishing you all the best in 2023!

Thanks for your kind words Bob.

Things would move a little faster if I could use my right arm properly. 😀

(I feel this is slowly improving with the amount of "Physio" that I'm throwing at it.)

All the beast for you and yours for the new year also. 

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

2 hours ago, hof00 said:

Thanks OC.

I am not 100% happy with the Fore Desal where it goes over the Anchor Chin Decking.

I feel the edges are not "Sharp" enough. (I have given these parts about 3 "Doses" thus far.)

Do you think that extra applications of Micro-Sol will do the trick?

Having never really used this stuff I don't know if I'll get a nasty buildup of this product.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

On my  Mossie   build  I think  I  brushed over about  Five or Six  washes  of Sol,  waiting  till  the  previous  layer had  dried.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

On my  Mossie   build  I think  I  brushed over about  Five or Six  washes  of Sol,  waiting  till  the  previous  layer had  dried.

OC.

Thanks OC,

I'll carry on a bit more then!! 😀

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

53 minutes ago, hof00 said:

Thanks OC,

I'll carry on a bit more then!! 😀

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Just  don't  be tempted  to  over brush  it while  the  sol  is  working as  the  decal is  at a  Really  Delicate  stage  (even if  you see  any wrinkles  -  they  will  flatten out  by them selves  as  the sol  shrinks  down on to the deck)   Just  apply  a  layer  of  Sol   the  leave  it  to do its  stuff  -  then let  it  dry  fully  (may need  several hours)   and  re  apply  if you  need to.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

It all depends on how thick the decals are. Some are very thin and need 1-2 coatings of SOL; others are very thick. I have a bottle of something called Solvaset. Its the last setting solution to use and only on very stubborn, thick decals. There were a few model railroad companies that printed very thick decals and the Solvaset was the only thing that worked. Like OC says, put down a coating and walk away. Let it dry before reapplying more solution. 😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

18 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Just  don't  be tempted  to  over brush  it while  the  sol  is  working as  the  decal is  at a  Really  Delicate  stage  (even if  you see  any wrinkles  -  they  will  flatten out  by them selves  as  the sol  shrinks  down on to the deck)   Just  apply  a  layer  of  Sol   the  leave  it  to do its  stuff  -  then let  it  dry  fully  (may need  several hours)   and  re  apply  if you  need to.

OC.

5 hours ago, Canute said:

It all depends on how thick the decals are. Some are very thin and need 1-2 coatings of SOL; others are very thick. I have a bottle of something called Solvaset. Its the last setting solution to use and only on very stubborn, thick decals. There were a few model railroad companies that printed very thick decals and the Solvaset was the only thing that worked. Like OC says, put down a coating and walk away. Let it dry before reapplying more solution. 😉

Thanks once again Gentlemen,

The advice is invaluable especially with the fact that I have had no real experience with Decaling since my teens. (More than a couple of years ago.... 😀)

From memory, the blurb that came with the Decal Sheet mentioned that the Decal was printed on 2.0 micron carrier film, does this sound about right?

Anyway, I think the I am pretty much done with the "Micro-Sol." after about seven applications, I am not going to push my luck any further I feel that things are about as good as I can get them.

I guess the order of the day will be to put some Matt/Semi clear to seal ant protect before installing Anchor Chains/Hatches.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

A note on her final paint scheme. I disagree with the Draminski book in that she had yellow turret roofs. I believe in the book he states this is speculative. The speculation comes from one of the few survivors to be picked up by the Germans, Otto Maus. The Maus debrief was mistranslated after the war and this is where the yellow comes from. You can read the original German and it’s defiantly not what he’s talking about. The yellow was specified in the orders for Rhine Exercise but likely never carried out. I habe 4 signed letters from 4 people who were on board that day, one being The Baron himself, who states categorically NO YELLOW. 

The swastikas were painted over on May 21, around 1-3pm and were never repainted. 

Edited by Joe100

4 hours ago, Joe100 said:

A note on her final paint scheme. I disagree with the Draminski book in that she had yellow turret roofs. I believe in the book he states this is speculative. The speculation comes from one of the few survivors to be picked up by the Germans, Otto Maus. The Maus debrief was mistranslated after the war and this is where the yellow comes from. You can read the original German and it’s defiantly not what he’s talking about. The yellow was specified in the orders for Rhine Exercise but likely never carried out. I habe 4 signed letters from 4 people who were on board that day, one being The Baron himself, who states categorically NO YELLOW. 

The swastikas were painted over on May 21, around 1-3pm and were never repainted. 

Hi Joe and Happy New Year!!

Good to know that the morning of May the 21st is correct!! (HOF's Bismarck 😀)

Interesting letter also, many thanks!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Wow great first hand evidence..looks like the definitive answer...

Just a quick one..when did she loose the yellow ?

The Baron's letter stated he couldn't confirm if the turrets were ever yellow.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 1/10/2023 at 5:41 AM, Ian B said:

Just a quick one..when did she loose the yellow ?

On 1/10/2023 at 5:49 AM, Canute said:

The Baron's letter stated he couldn't confirm if the turrets were ever yellow.

Hi Gentlemen,

I personally am happy with the Dark Grey Turret tops and in the only publication that I have to hand, "Kagero Super Drawings In 3D," they show just this.

I guess there are many iterations that could be.... As I am too well aware, many Ship Kit, (Inc. Plans, Publications), information is open to discussion or erroneous.

Please do not let me dissuade you from further discussion of the subject and please continue to use this thread, I find it fascinating.

Anyway, I have a question for the forum as well,

The subject is "Interference Grids," (Snips" attached), that the "Kit" wants you to install at various points along the Main Deck Rail. (The Grids are supposedly to catch used Shell Casings.")

I am wondering if I can get away without these as they occupy the Main Rail Gutter. (Incidental have never seen these in any documentation.

(Maybe they were "Unshipped" when not in use?)

It's not that I want to get away with not installing stuff, I am aiming for something that is not too "Cluttered." (This is the same doctrine that I'm going to use with the Accommodation Ladders, I am not going to install them "Shipped" as in my mind, it clutters the lower superstructure. I received some excellent plans from Joe regarding construction and placement of these items, amongst other detailed drawings. (All I have to do is "Prototype these when I gain a bit more movement, soon I hope, I'm starting to go Stir Crazy....😀)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Snip 3.PNG

Snip 4.PNG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

I love a good paint scheme discussion! Gets my blood flowing! As for yellow, I say the ship never had yellow paint applied. I can post way, way more on this but if anyone is really interested, shoot me a PM and I’ll send you more than you’d ever want to know. Red on the other hand, well I’ve been persuaded to the red camp recently. There are photos of the ship showing the turrets being repainted in an odd shade which is thought to be red. We know the KM experimented with red in the Baltic, and it’s very likely BS had red turret roofs for at least a short period of time.

Now onto your question Harry. Those guards were there to catch the secondary charge casings from the 15” guns and the 5.9” guns. Most folks don’t realize that the KM used a secondary brass cartridge in their guns. These were ejected onto the deck from two ports under the main and secondary turrets. I’ve never seen a single model of Bismarck in combat depicting these, and there would have been dozens rolling around on deck! The reason they used these catch grids was because in combat, the railing around the edge of the ship was laid flat. This was because it would have been ripped off and destroyed with the firing of the main guns. There are many photos of the railing laid flat, easy to find.

As for rigging them on your model, they were permanent fixtures so they should be there. Here are the photos of them on the ship:

D336ADE6-DDE0-4007-B5A6-D0171EE40315.thumb.jpeg.8e26733c77aa4eef37519899ed43ea8d.jpeg

506EF886-816E-490A-9404-A597A92614A6.thumb.jpeg.d30b5cf342fc0e81dd930ac5e8936ed1.jpeg

52F88C84-B5E6-4888-AFC0-63FCF0C67D65.thumb.jpeg.0ce3ec9a7a9ceb955fb2545a8c8b9d57.jpeg

Edited by Joe100

I think we discussed this Harry, I’m not sure though. The swastikas on Bismarck and Prinz Eugen were covered by big canvas sheets when they reached Bergen. We have photos of the canvas on PG but not BS, so it’s not 100% confirmed, but extremely likely. The swastika banners were painted out on May 22

16 hours ago, Joe100 said:

I love a good paint scheme discussion! Gets my blood flowing! As for yellow, I say the ship never had yellow paint applied. I can post way, way more on this but if anyone is really interested, shoot me a PM and I’ll send you more than you’d ever want to know. Red on the other hand, well I’ve been persuaded to the red camp recently. There are photos of the ship showing the turrets being repainted in an odd shade which is thought to be red. We know the KM experimented with red in the Baltic, and it’s very likely BS had red turret roofs for at least a short period of time.

Now onto your question Harry. Those guards were there to catch the secondary charge casings from the 15” guns and the 5.9” guns. Most folks don’t realize that the KM used a secondary brass cartridge in their guns. These were ejected onto the deck from two ports under the main and secondary turrets. I’ve never seen a single model of Bismarck in combat depicting these, and there would have been dozens rolling around on deck! The reason they used these catch grids was because in combat, the railing around the edge of the ship was laid flat. This was because it would have been ripped off and destroyed with the firing of the main guns. There are many photos of the railing laid flat, easy to find.

As for rigging them on your model, they were permanent fixtures so they should be there. Here are the photos of them on the ship:

D336ADE6-DDE0-4007-B5A6-D0171EE40315.thumb.jpeg.8e26733c77aa4eef37519899ed43ea8d.jpeg

506EF886-816E-490A-9404-A597A92614A6.thumb.jpeg.d30b5cf342fc0e81dd930ac5e8936ed1.jpeg

52F88C84-B5E6-4888-AFC0-63FCF0C67D65.thumb.jpeg.0ce3ec9a7a9ceb955fb2545a8c8b9d57.jpeg

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the excellent information and photos!!

I'll ensure that I install the Guards/Grids.

Since the Gutters are so narrow, the Guards will have to be at the very edge of the Decking, no problem. 😀

Pictures really do speak volumes!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

3 hours ago, rvchima said:

I haven't looked in for a while and missed some fascinating discussion about the paint scheme and catch guards.

Hi Rod,

Thanks for looking in!!

Things still very slow for myself to be expected although I'm throwing all the physio sa the right side as I can!! 😀

Got my eyes tested also as I found it very difficult to see detail and place correctly. (I think that the Sub-Assembly phase was assisted, in no small way, by my "Diopter" flu resent lamp.

I hope to have my new "Specs" next week, it will be a huge bonus!! 😀

So, hopefully some updates of consequence soon.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Been working on the Anchor Chains.

I have the Main Anchor Chains in place, but I am not going to secure these until I get the small Chains attached, hopefully tomorrow.

I had issues with the small chain provided, 50 - 100mm, (2 - 4 inches), not nearly enough.....

I had a go at chain I had left over from my Cutty Sark, installed and not happy at all.

What to do? Silver Chain from the local Jewler, same dimensions as the kit supplied chain.. (NZD 15.00)

Next issue, how to Blacken? The Chemists, (Drug Store?), I visited did not have "Liver of Sulfur," they are not the Apothecaries of old and do not have jars of stuff any longer.

I tried Hydrogen Peroxide, not much joy.

The Internet suggested Squashed Build Eggs, Bleach and other stuff. 😀

I chose a bit of Bleach and left the Silver Chain soaking overnight. this resulted in a very nice patina.

Next, how to install? (I include photos of my workings.)

Beading Wire on the Chain ends so I could maneuver things through Eye Bolts. The kit supplied tiny PE bits to attach the Chain to but I figured that I would not be able to impart any tension.

Beading Wire to attach the pieces of chain together, once done, offer up to Bow Anchor hole, install Eye Bolts, CA and tension.

I'll touch up and trim the excess tomorrow also.

Well, that's how I dealt with this aspect. 🙂

I'll do the same for the Main and Stern Anchor Chains.

Cheers.... HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0805[1].jpg

DSC_0806[1].jpg

DSC_0807[1].jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro