Bismarck by hof00 - FINISHED - Amati - 1/200 - Partworks

I thought  you  could  get  dedicated  products  to  Blacken  metal  products  -  seen  it mentioned  in many  of the  wood  ship builds  in here  (just  dont  know  which  one)  many  have even  Blackened  whole  canons  etc.

@mtaylorAny ideas  mate?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

18 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I thought  you  could  get  dedicated  products  to  Blacken  metal  products  -  seen  it mentioned  in many  of the  wood  ship builds  in here  (just  dont  know  which  one)  many  have even  Blackened  whole  canons  etc.

@mtaylorAny ideas  mate?

OC.

Thanks OC.

Yup, there are many products to do the job, couldn't agree more!! 🙂

Sterling Silver Chain was, I thought, a "Pragmatic" approach to the problem that I had at hand.

Friday afternoon, 3pm and I wanted something that I could use as soon as practicable.

If I was to order a specific Blackner it would be a few days before I received anything, not to mention cost, shipping etc.

I thought Household Bleach would be good to try, if it hadn't worked, I would have been forced down the "Commercial" path.

The other thing that I considered "How often would I use?"

(I did like the idea of squashed boiled eggs.... 🙂)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Place  the  chain then paint  the  damn  thing    Harry  -  its  what  my   attaitude  would  be  -  treat  it  in place  and  do  some  paint  shades  and  washes  over  it   -  Im  sure  it  would  behave  -  just  needs  a  bit  of  time  but atleast  you  would be  able  to  work on it rather  than  waiting  for  stuff  to arrive.

Hey  I can  talk  -  look at  my  figure   painting...

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

19 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Place  the  chain then paint  the  damn  thing    Harry  -  its  what  my   attaitude  would  be  -  treat  it  in place  and  do  some  paint  shades  and  washes  over  it   -  Im  sure  it  would  behave  -  just  needs  a  bit  of  time  but atleast  you  would be  able  to  work on it rather  than  waiting  for  stuff  to arrive.

Hey  I can  talk  -  look at  my  figure   painting...

OC.

Thanks Chap,

The Chain is already done.... 🙂

Absolutely nothing wrong with your soldiers!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

OC, I know some of the products but haven't clue what's available in N.Z.  

Harry, that's great you got them blackened.   What did you finally end up using?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Harry, that's great you got them blackened.   What did you finally end up using?

I remember  seeing  some  builders  in the  forum  Blackening  canons  and things.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Hi Mark,

Yup, I got the Silver Chain blackened with household bleach. (Janola, as it known here.)

I had the chain immersed for about ten hours prior to the installation.

(I quite like blackened Silver; the Black does not come off when handled unlike my experiences with blackened Brass Chain. Maybe in the future I'll substitute Brass Chain for Silver.... 🙂)

Liver of Sulfur is preferred I believe.

As for obtaining this on-line, I don't know, I did not try as I wanted the chain "Yesterday" as it were.... 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks for the explanation as I've never heard of using bleach on silver.

Liver of sulfur would  be a good way to go... less mess and won't stain the wood.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

18 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks for the explanation as I've never heard of using bleach on silver.

Liver of sulfur would  be a good way to go... less mess and won't stain the wood.

Thanks Mark,

I think it worked out o.k. 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

And thank you.  Seems I learn something new here on MSW every day.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi All,

Another small update:

Completed the Bow Anchor Chains, I used the "Eyelet" method of attaching the small Chains. (A couple of small touch ups required.)

The Main Anchor Chains affixed but I feel that the Starboard side could have had a tad more tension. I don't think I'll push my luck, unless of course, it bugs me too much.... 🙂

I'm reasonably happy with the result, (I have to be, I'm not doing it again!!)

Stern Anchor Chain tomorrow and maybe the Fore and Aft Hull Booms (I made these up some time ago.)

I am looking forward to Rigging the Beastie, sort of.... 🙂

(The new "Specs" are awesome!! I can see again!!)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0808[1].jpg

DSC_0809[1].jpg

DSC_0810[1].jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

They  look  Super  -  very tidy.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

They  look  Super  -  very tidy.

OC.

Thanks OC,

I had another look at the Starboard Main Anchor Chain.

I just could not live with it twithought any tension.

De-bonded Chain at the Spurling pipe, "Tweaked" and re-attached.

Much better, Port and Starboard Chain runs are now clear of the Deck... 

Much improved!! 🙂

Cheers,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Bismarck’s bow anchor was removed in Norway, to save fuel lugging it around. The stern anchor was more tricky to remove so it was left in place. Bismarck’s stern anchor didn’t use a chain cable, (anchor chains are called “cables” btw), it used a braided steel cable. 

After Denmark Strait, one of the bow anchors and cable was let go to help level the ship. It’s believed the other was dropped as well, with minimal results. 

1 hour ago, Joe100 said:

Bismarck’s bow anchor was removed in Norway, to save fuel lugging it around. The stern anchor was more tricky to remove so it was left in place. Bismarck’s stern anchor didn’t use a chain cable, (anchor chains are called “cables” btw), it used a braided steel cable. 

After Denmark Strait, one of the bow anchors and cable was let go to help level the ship. It’s believed the other was dropped as well, with minimal results. 

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info, appreciated!!

Well, I have the Bow Anchor and "Cables" installed., probably not 100% historically accurate but I am comfortable with what I've got. 🙂

I have the Stern Cables to install later today.

Edit:

BTW were the Bow/Stern Booms for Boat recovery or something else?

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Excellent, just remember the stern anchor has a short amount of chain where the swivels connect, and the rest is steel cable. This anchor was rarely used and the KM felt a steel cable was sufficient for holding purposes. This meant the anchor itself did a little more work than the average anchor though. It’s not too strange of a setup, but it wasn’t as robust as others. The anchor chain cables do a lot of the heavy holding on a large ship. 

The booms you’re referring to are just standard boat mooring booms, they swing out and allow the crew to embark/disembark the ships small boats without having to come along the accommodation ladders. A little simpler to deploy. For your purposes, I’d rig them as stowed. These didn’t weigh much, and I believe they were left in place during Rhine Exercise. With the exception of the smaller boats being removed, most of the boat handling equipment was left in place. Bismarck would likely have been deploying boats often to search lone enemy ships, plant explosives, inspect, all the things one does on a cruiser-warfare cruise. 

The small boats weren’t going to be needed, so they were left in Norway. I’m sure after the loss of Bismarck they were redistributed, but it would have been interesting to know where they got off to. 

If you’re interested, one of the Verkehrsboot from Tirpitz still lives. I believe it’s in France now, but I can’t remember the details. 

5 hours ago, Joe100 said:

Excellent, just remember the stern anchor has a short amount of chain where the swivels connect, and the rest is steel cable. This anchor was rarely used and the KM felt a steel cable was sufficient for holding purposes. This meant the anchor itself did a little more work than the average anchor though. It’s not too strange of a setup, but it wasn’t as robust as others. The anchor chain cables do a lot of the heavy holding on a large ship. 

The booms you’re referring to are just standard boat mooring booms, they swing out and allow the crew to embark/disembark the ships small boats without having to come along the accommodation ladders. A little simpler to deploy. For your purposes, I’d rig them as stowed. These didn’t weigh much, and I believe they were left in place during Rhine Exercise. With the exception of the smaller boats being removed, most of the boat handling equipment was left in place. Bismarck would likely have been deploying boats often to search lone enemy ships, plant explosives, inspect, all the things one does on a cruiser-warfare cruise. 

The small boats weren’t going to be needed, so they were left in Norway. I’m sure after the loss of Bismarck they were redistributed, but it would have been interesting to know where they got off to. 

If you’re interested, one of the Verkehrsboot from Tirpitz still lives. I believe it’s in France now, but I can’t remember the details. 

Hi Joe,

The information is just superb thank you!!

It is really good to add correct terminology to my repertoire of "Ship Lore," i.e. "Cable."

Thanks again for advising equipment that was removed prior to operation Rhine..

I don't think that I will delete these smaller craft. (It looks like my Ship will have all the "Bells and Whistles. "🙂)

Again, not 100% historically accurate but I like the look of these bits. (The only ones to know will be you, me and anyone else that reads this information.... 🙂

Yup, I intend to install the Booms "Stowed," much simpler I think....

Of note, my "Super 3D drawings of Bismarck," (Kagero), show the color scheme as of May 27, 1941. This depicts the Ship "Fully Loaded" and Inc. Swasticker markings Fore and Aft. (Artistic License? 🙂)

Anyway, onwards!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

You have to be careful with Kagero. If they don’t know the answer to a question, they tend to answer it themselves, with nonsense. Their Kongō drawings are absolutely hilarious. I picked them up last year to help with my build, and boy, they’re rough. They look pretty, but they blend the ship’s fit from 1941 to 1944. 

9 hours ago, Joe100 said:

You have to be careful with Kagero. If they don’t know the answer to a question, they tend to answer it themselves, with nonsense. Their Kongō drawings are absolutely hilarious. I picked them up last year to help with my build, and boy, they’re rough. They look pretty, but they blend the ship’s fit from 1941 to 1944. 

Yup, they are very nice drawings.... 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

2 hours ago, rvchima said:

Harry,

It's too late now but I use Novacan black patina for stained glass to blacken miscellaneous parts. It just takes seconds, but your bleach idea seems to have worked perfectly. The chains, er... cables, look great!

Rod

Thanks for looking in Chap!!

Yup, far too late for an alternative Blackening solution. (Needs Must I guess.... 🙂)

I think I'm getting somewhere....

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Tiny update.

Bow Anchor "Cables" re-done for the fourth time!!

My error was not taking the outboard Cables right up to the Anchor Shaft.

Installed the Bow Booms on the Hull and am working on the Stern Anchor Cables at present.

I'll get some pictures up soonish.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Photos to go with the "Small" update.

I installed the Stern Booms and Stern Anchor Cables. I made up all Booms with a simple jig and painted prior to installation.

(I'm not really 100% happy with the Grab Rails but you can't really see them unless you are really close.) (Maybe I can get things perfect with my Trumpeter Bismarck.... 🙂)

(There are other aspects of this model, (My work), that irk me but far too late to do anything about them.  😐)

It'll be o.k. Not much left to do....

• Rigging
  • Boats (Already constructed)
  • 10.5cm AA Guns (Already constructed)
  • Interference Grids
  • Accommodation Ladders?
  • Main Deck Railing
  • Touch-Ups

Anyway, "Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes!!"

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Photos:

DSC_0811[1].jpg

DSC_0812[1].jpg

DSC_0813[1].jpg

DSC_0814[1].jpg

DSC_0815[1].jpg

DSC_0816[1].jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Excellent work   - really  coming together.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work   - really  coming together.

OC.

Thank Chap,

Appreciated.

I have to remind myself that thi is my first "Ship with Guns.... 🙂"

Lots of firsts for me also, PE etc.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

A reasonable update:

So, Rigging is now complete with the exception of the Propeller Guards.

I tried so hard but could not perform Rigging satisfactorily without assistance. (Still dealing with the right Rotator Cuff thing....)

So, my lady stepped up and gave things her very best, I am so very grateful and very happy with the result!

It took about 4 days to complete in +30.0 C temperatures.

HOF busied himself with directing operations, passing Tools/Glue as required. 🙂

Joe 100, (Joe), had provided me with Rigging Plans, (Thanks Joe), but I ended up going with the "Kit" instructions, perhaps a little simplified but these I felt were enough. (Instruction sequence was really good and ensured that one did not "Paint yourself into a corner," so to speak.

For the majority of Rigging material, I used "Infini" 110 Denier Lycra Thread and Polyester Cotton for Rigging intersected by other pieces under tension.

I gave the Boats a bit of a touch-up and the rest of the Ship and gave the Superstructure a dose of air-brushed Vallejo Satin Polyurethane. (The effect was fantastic blending in all touch up paint.

Boats installed on thier Skids.

Currently finishing up the eight 10.5cm AA Guns and I may get these installed today.

Getting there....

Things left to do:

• 10.5cm AA Gun Installation
  • Interference Grids
  • Aircraft installation
  • Main Deck Railing
  • Bow/Stern Flagstaff installation
  • Accommodation Ladders and Davits
  • Propeller Guards
  • Anchor Buoys

(I think that's it.... 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0817[1].jpg

DSC_0818[1].jpg

DSC_0820[1].jpg

DSC_0821[1].jpg

DSC_0822[1].jpg

DSC_0823[1].jpg

DSC_0824[1].jpg

DSC_0825[1].jpg

DSC_0826[1].jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Apologies for the bad lighting in the above photos.

The next round, I'll ensure some better lighting.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Looks awesome, Harry!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, BobG said:

Looks awesome, Harry!

Thanks Bob,

I think  I am "Almost" finished.

10.5cm AA Guns tomorrow and I'm sure that I'll find some other bits to keep me suitably occupied.....🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Amazing work Harry, every aspect of it  -  so  much  fine detailing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.