USS Constitution by KurtH - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/96 - First wood model kit

Gripes installed.  The straps are made from black construction paper.  I did not use the rings from Model Expo because they were too small and the next size up was too big.  These are the same rings I used as breeching rings on the 24 pounder guns on the gun deck.  I have lost track of where I got them.

GRIPESCOMP1.thumb.jpg.6c2fcdaef1a9296da778980aa62fb567.jpg

Now to rig the main braces.  I will also attempt to hang the flag which will add a dash of color.  Whether or not I use it will depend on being able to make it hang in a realistic fashion.

Edited by KHauptfuehrer

Flag installed.

FLAG1.thumb.jpg.a7e9ab068aac5a8457578cc1e004b281.jpg

This completes the model (!!!!!!).

FINISHEDMODEL1S.thumb.jpg.4921f1a77244612586846206f224eccd.jpg

Now my attention turns to finalizing the display starting with the cradle.  I would like to do this in mahogany to match the base board.  Let's see how it comes out.  Worst case scenario- I am unable to improve on what I have, in which case, I will paint the current cradle black.  We shall see.  More posts to come.

Amazing build!!!  Although there are some other period kits available with stunning details, building them mainly consists of glueing and painting without anywhere near the amount of fabrication and scratch building needed to pull this off. Well Done and thanks for putting the build log together.

Edited by schooner

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Well done sailor, very well done.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

That is a very nice build KH! You should be very proud of your efforts. I am sure you will be able to make a nice mahogany cradle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed and varnished the display cradle, and have finished and varnished the base board.   I modeled it after some cradles I saw in Keith Julier's books on modeling techiques.

DISPLAYCRADLECOMP1.thumb.jpg.e07ef422c14dc7bce4f550674d3d7c11.jpg

This will be my last build log post.  I understand that all shots of the completed model belong in the gallery which I will begin work on shortly.

I began this build in 2007, 16 years ago!  There are two reasons it took this long.  One reason is that this is a very challenging build, and I had never tried the majority of tasks required.  It was therefore a matter of learning skills as I went rather than applying skills already mastered.  The other reason was that I needed to take months at a time off during the year to pursue my audio-video jobs.  In view of the fact that this is a challenging build, and that I was a novice in most respects when I began, it is not surprising that the errors and flaws in my model are legion.  Nonetheless, I am happy with the overall appearance of the model.  Actually, I think I deserve an "A" for persistence if nothing else, and I am patting myself on the back just for having finished it.

I would like to express my great appreciation for the encouragement in the form of comments and "likes" and advice I have received from other MSW members.  MSW is truly a mutually supportive and collegial group of model enthusiasts.  I would also like to thank Nic and the folks at Bluejacket who have been a delight to work with, and prompt in sending me all those little items I bought one at a time because I could not always forsee my needs.  I also benefitted greatly from the availability of fine rope from Chuck at Syren.

Edited by KHauptfuehrer

Well done sailor, very well done.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi 
Really nice Modell you built here! Congrats!

Got a question for you...
I'm just in the final stage of finishing my amati endeavour build but sadly a drop of CA glue dropped on the final painted hull... now i can see you are using a lot of CA debonder. Do you think i can use that on my painted and varnished hull to remove the shiny glue?

On 2/27/2024 at 9:53 AM, DomFischli said:

Hi 
Really nice Modell you built here! Congrats!

Got a question for you...
I'm just in the final stage of finishing my amati endeavour build but sadly a drop of CA glue dropped on the final painted hull... now i can see you are using a lot of CA debonder. Do you think i can use that on my painted and varnished hull to remove the shiny glue?

Is your hull shiny or dull? If dull, then a coat of flat clear will hide the shiny glue, but not the bump. Perhaps some careful sanding will help. I would worry about debonder, try it on a prepared piece of scrap first.

Nic

• 1 month later...

I have only just now checked on my build log and found some new and most rewarding comments!

Thank you Dom Fischli for your kind words.  I have found that debonder does a good job of diluting the CA although I have not tried it in quite the same situation that you describe.

Thank you Blue Ensign for your compliments.  I have spent a great deal of time looking at your builds and have the greatest admiration for your work as do many other modelers.  Your comments mean a great deal to me!  Incidentally, I plan to add lodging knees to the quarter deck scantlings in much the same way that you did.  I can only aspire to do as well.