IJN Yaeyama by Landlubber Mike - Five Star - 1/700 - RESIN - Japanese minelayer

Part of the delay on this build is that I'm bit stuck on what color to paint the hull on this one.  The Maru book has a lot of black and white pictures of the ship, which went through various refits over its service life and different colors - from what looks like white, to a lighter gray, to a darker gray.  FiveStar doesn't indicate what period of ship the model is supposed to represent, but it seems to be closest to one of the lighter/white shades.  Anyone know what "white" color the IJN used to paint its ships?  I'm assuming not stark white, but maybe something like Insignia White or even a little darker.

White hull:

2067268638_NH77700.jpeg.6e8ee59bbaab2b3b328c4bfbcb4da1e2.jpeg

Grey hull (colorized):

305049686_Yaeyama-colorized.jpeg.dfba288f6a4f0a83c84fb4ed303a72a8.jpeg

Other minelayers:

Yurijima.jpeg.0b95cf4300c7dfad1d00b3320f5b3ba2.jpeg

Hirashima.jpeg.9f15d2986ef65f4a4a8b2d9a762e7401.jpeg

Shirataka.jpeg.8c7d98207cb3d7fe500688e0b4254e6e.jpeg

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well Mike it's hard to say a full white but it's real close look at how the forward gun projects itself on the building.Then their is a building behind the center of the ship a couple hundred yards looks white.I think if you go for this pic as your driving force for the build white with a touch of grey better yet find some other pics of peace time no matter the ship as long as Japanese Navy.;)

Thanks Kevin.  It looks fairly stark white, similar to the colors of the ships in the late 19th century through the 1930s.  

Thanks Glen - I can't take credit for it, as I saw it on another build log :)  Helps add a little more detail and interest to the hull I think.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

You are quite apt with PE on this scale, Mike. I don't know if I could do it so well. Lovely details, those runners around the stags are always a pain to add even at larger scales.

Concerning your colour question, you could try something like British Off White  grey-ish instead of the brownish the British is. Either use a drop of black in white paint, but you might need to much white to compensate. You could use some light/middle grey or greyish-blue to mix with white. I found that most Japanese war ships tend to be some tone of grey, never white. That is my two cents 

Again, lovely build, especially since resin is not very forgiving

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks Cog!  I ended up spraying it with a light coat of Mr. Color off-white.  I figure with some washes, it will darken a bit so didn’t want to go too dark.  I’ll post some pictures later this week.  

Thanks for looking in!

Mike

Some pictures of where I am at the moment.  I ended up spraying a thin coat of Mr. Color off white, then added a base coat of some darker gray to the non-linoleum deck sections.  I'll probably spray a clear coat on this evening in preparation for the washes, etc., and then I can add the railings and various detail pieces.  

IMG_3860.JPG.79f04c0062b4e607a79ea02a846b4e14.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG.cc4abd7c255147af04c6f429dadc1997.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG.16d173253c69a08bd5eaf49eb2553e76.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG.92948c3dda62aa59489953485c5b7f50.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Mike

Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Great work with the paint scheme.  What is that thimble-looking thing you are using to hold the ship?

It's a plastic shot glass.  About the size of a Tamiya paint bottle.  I put a little blue tack on it and i find it helps give me something to hold the model while I work on it, put it on the bench, etc.

Mike

44 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

i find it helps give me something to hold the model while I work on it,

Plus on those days when nothing seems to be going right, it is easy to find and you only need to flip it over and fill it up a few times.:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

15 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Plus on those days when nothing seems to be going right, it is easy to find and you only need to flip it over and fill it up a few times.:D

Exactly  😆

Mike

• 4 months later...

I did a little weathering and added a few other pieces to the model, including the starboard and port side stairways.  Still have a bit of touch ups, final weathering and clear coating to go, then comes the davits, small boats, anchor chains, figures and rigging.  Then of course there is the final adjustment of some of the PE - I don't like constantly fiddling with it as the pieces are so small they likely will break.  I'll put it in a diorama setting at the same time as my Asashio/Akashi build for some efficiency.  It's been a fun model to work on, and a pretty detailed set from Five Star, though as I mentioned earlier in the log, you have to supplement some of the items.

One thing I might do in the future is use Mr. Color Metal Primer on the PE frets.  I notice that even Mr. Color and Tamiya paints can come off when trying to glue PE to the model - either from handling, the CA, or most likely, both.  I like to pre-paint some of the items like stairways, davits, etc. as it will be difficult to paint them when installed on the model - or I'm just too lazy to deal with the taping that would be involved.  I think having the metal primer on the frets should helps make the paint adhere a little better and hopefully reduce some of the touchup work later.

Sorry for the crappy pictures - I need to figure out a better setting on my phone.  Thanks for looking in!

IMG_5581.JPG.7f029a94fc8ec4abc64dae71de4e3fff.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG.3fe61539b18aeda2c308dec8791f62e5.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG.92833af1057a820e9fa685e5fbe891fe.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG.9e17b6183b7111d1b04d68bd43cd87ae.JPG

Mike

Thanks Alan and Glen!

Alan, I moved away from Vallejo primers on metal as it seems to have a tendency to peel off, especially if you need to tape it. I just got the glass bottle and rattle can of Mr. Metal Primer so will give it a shot.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Kevin!

Mike