One for the shelf

Dave_E

Greetings All,

Merry Christmas to all! 

I am retiring in 10 days. I am currently building the Lady Nelson. I have a cash reserve before retirement and think I should get something on the shelf while I have the scratch. Was considering the Coldercraft HMS Badger or the Brig Supply, Manitua Endeavor or Shine, Amati Bounty or Fly. I'm looking forward to a build that is not beginner, and will take awhile and not break the bank. I am all tooled up and can only foresee consumabales like paint, glue and blades. Comments regarding the manufacturers and ships would be appreciated.

Dave

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Have you checked out Vanguard models by Chris Waton? https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/

They are one of the top tier kit manufacturers out there.

Totally apart from the kit fan base aspect,  I will approach this from a curmudgeon-like view  or a sober view:

Buying a backup kit in your place in this path:

Has two positives -

It helps assuage your present enthusiasm.  Enthusiasm that is necessary to do this as a hobby.   The effect has a very short half-life.

If inflation takes hold, it may save you money in the future.  Especially if you do not otherwise put the money that you would spend on a kit, in an escrow account that keeps up with inflation - something that the system is geared to make difficult.

And negatives -

As you progress with your current model, your knowledge of this field should expand.  Your interest and choice of subjects may progress beyond what you consider.

In general, the necessary enthusiasm and drive to do this tends to cycle.   Most beginners probably do not continue beyond the first down cycle.   A backup kit will not maintain enthusiasm.  It will be money lost.  Lucky it would be to recover 50% on Ebay.

You should probably setup a stealth escrow account for this and continue to in filter funds - if you are not a solo.   The same sort of standard for any tools:  If you do not need a tool now for a particular task,  If you have to ask about it,  If you do not have more money than sense,  you should probably wait to buy it until the need is obvious.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Jaager gave some good advice.  As for "kits".... Syren, Vanguard, probably CAF.   The catch is, by the time you're ready for the next model, there will probably be new ones with huge improvements over some of the older firms models.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Dave, congratulations on your retirement. I cannot disagree with anything anyone has said.  But one thing I will add is that even if you outgrow the kit that you choose, your new found skills will just turn it into a better model.  How many times have you seen builds on this forum and others where a kit that may be considered a beginner kit is turned into a masterpiece. That might entail stocking up on upgraded scale rope, lumber, and fittings when you decide which scale and ship is for you. Whatever you choose it will be the right choice 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

A low budget alternative.  Begin the research to build a model from scratch.  Buy a used or inexpensive reprint version of one of Howard I Chapelle’s His History of American Sailing Ships or the Search for Speed Under Sail are both good choices.  Each of these books contains several lifetimes of modeling.  After reading the book, pick out a ship that you especially like.  The plans for HMS Badger are included in the Search for Speed Under Sail.  If you are careful, at this point  you have probably spent less than $20.00.

Order the plans for your selected vessel from The Smithsonian Institute, the keepers of Chapelle’s work.  If the drawing is in one of his books, they probably have the original drawn at a reasonable modeling scale.  By now you have spent a total of less than $50.00.

Buy a large sheet translucent drafting media; I like frosted Mylar.  You will also need a straightedge such as a metal yardstick, a drafting triangle and a French curve.  Probably another $25.00.

Therefore, for less than $100.00 you’re ready to get started.

Using your drafting tools, trace the full sized pieces that you need to build your model as if you were assembling a kit.

Hopefully, you were able to finance the $100.00 start up cost from day to day income leaving your retirement stash intact.  Use it to outfit your shop.

Roger

We’re not talking the future of investing here, it’s just the cost of a model. No reason to overthink it, deep thoughts not necessary. The Vanguard line represents the latest in kit design, Caldercraft (I’ve built several) hasn’t done anything new In decades.  I’d choose what you can afford from the Vanguard line and have it on hand. The Lady Nelson took me less than three months to build, you’ll be ready for the next one in no time. With a few kits under your built I’d then recommend HM Cheerful from Syren, it’s a real challenge and a beautiful finished model, the kits will give you the skills to build it later, it would be frustrating to go there next though. Take the time to get comfortable with building laser cut parts before making them yourself. 

One thing though, how ever many tools you have now there are so many other cool tools out there to be had. Save some money for those. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Congrats on entering the new phase in you life.  I retired 2-years ago.  Best decision I have ever made.  I don't know how I had time to work.  

Lots of sound advise here in the forum (not just this thread).  Some of it I wish I had before I started.  But, as jaager points out, enthusiasm cycles.  I think I am on my 3rd or 4th cycle.  I guess I am hooked forever.  

I keep in mind the slogan you see around here: "...tain't a hobby if you gotta hurry."  (Sounds like you got that aspect covered.)

Good luck on your endeavors.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)