Suggested sites for purchasing wood model ship kits

Capella

Pretty much the title says it all. 

I'm in the finishing phase of completing the hull on my FIRST wood model ship (still have to do the superstructure, rigging and sails, and painting) and I'm already considering what I should do next. 

I googled "wood model ship kits" and came across the site modelerscentral.com which I found to be a good source of wood model ships. 

I'm looking for other suggestions on good sites to consider for future projects. 

Also, I'd appreciate recommendations on sites for wood modeling resources such as tools, paints, and materials.

Thanks! 

First build: US Ranger - Corel

Second build: HMS Beagle - OcCre

Yes they provide some good kits particularly in the Colonial range.  I have just finished PORT JACKSON but have now been banned from purchasing from them as I sent them suggested amendments to their instructions.  They wanted to pursue me for copyright infringement and went I told them to fill there boots (as I hadn't breached any copyright) I was banned from shopping and banned from the Modellers Central FB group.  

I have since found that they also challenged the accuracy/integrity of the instructions and they too have suffered a similar fate.

I simply get someone else to order from them on my behalf now, though I have found some great suppliers of products in Canada (ROPES OF SCALE) whose products are far superior to anything Modellers Central can provide.

_DSC6152-Edit.jpg

Completed:  

PORT JACKSON - 1803 Topsail Schooner 1/50 by Modellers Shipyard

HMB ENDEAVOUR - 1768 Bark 1/64 by Artesania Latina

Under Construction:  

HMAV BOUNTY - 1/60 by Amati

NORFOLK Colonial Sloop- 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS EURYALUS - 1:48 Scratchbuild POF

Next Project:  

HMS THUNDRER - 1/48 CAF Models/Scratchbuild

Planned:  

HMS SUPPLY - 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS SIRIUS

Capella,

Are you interested in any specific era or nationality?

Are you interested in accuracy or are you OK with what the kits provide?  With a few exceptions the manufacturers of the kits seem to have done little, if any, research so a lot of the materials are not at all realistic in appearance and scale.  Study the many build logs here at MSW (both scratch and kit)  rather than relying on advertisements from the kit makers and suppliers.  

Two you might want to consider based on build logs and comments here at MSW

Model Shipways - models designed by David Antscherl

Models from Syren Ship Model company 

You can always try kit bashing for any of the less realistic kits.

If you have sufficient room to work, maybe consider investing in tools and a few books and give scratch building a chance.  This opens you to thousands of vessels rather than being relegated to a few dozen.

In the end, what makes you happy with your investment is the way to go.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

15 hours ago, allanyed said:

Capella,

Are you interested in any specific era or nationality?

Are you interested in accuracy or are you OK with what the kits provide?  With a few exceptions the manufacturers of the kits seem to have done little, if any, research so a lot of the materials are not at all realistic in appearance and scale.  Study the many build logs here at MSW (both scratch and kit)  rather than relying on advertisements from the kit makers and suppliers.  

Two you might want to consider based on build logs and comments here at MSW

Model Shipways - models designed by David Antscherl

Models from Syren Ship Model company 

You can always try kit bashing for any of the less realistic kits.

If you have sufficient room to work, maybe consider investing in tools and a few books and give scratch building a chance.  This opens you to thousands of vessels rather than being relegated to a few dozen.

In the end, what makes you happy with your investment is the way to go.

Allan

Hi, Allan

Good questions and good points!

As far as what I'm interested in, pretty much any masted ship (except sailboats or similar pleasure craft) from any relevant era, and American or western European.

Accuracy isn't a big thing for me.

I'll bookmark those sites you suggested for when I'm ready to tackle another project.

Thanks for taking the time...

Mark

First build: US Ranger - Corel

Second build: HMS Beagle - OcCre

If you don't care about accuracy any kit will do, as most, not all, kit manufacturers don't seem to care either.  😀

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 month later...

I am in the process of rigging my scratch built 1/48 scale Schooner for Port Jackson based on the lines and details from the National Maritime Museum archives and the rig details from the late David MacGregor. The kit does not match the either the NMM plans or the rig as drawn by DM. This may not matter because there is some dispute as to whether or not the vessel was built as drawn. Persoanlly I enjoy the research as well as the build, but accept that for many people it is the build and display which floats their proverbial boat.

Mike

@Capella , like you I am working on my first boat but am not as far ahead as you are . I have been thinking about " what next ?" also 

and the other day I stumbled across a site called the Model Shipyard  ( https://www.stephensandkenau.com )  and from every thing I 

was able to read about them on their website they are - Very - (underline that ) particular about the Historical accuracy of the Models 

they will either build for you or the kit-s- that they sell . They're located in South Africa and I'll bet a Cat-Treat that some of the very wise 

gentlemen here will have either heard of them ? or know someone who has bought something from them ? and I too would be interested 

to hear their views or recommendations about them 🙂 .  I watched the movie Master and Commander the other night again for fun ,

which triggered the "search the internet" for a Model of the HMS Surprise and found one there . I did not go as far as to "register to see the 

pricing" on the kits , but instinct tells me that anyone who does - should probably be sitting down when they click on the show me tab !! 

Finally  a quick thank - you to Peter 6172 for mentioning the Canadian company Ropes of Scale , which I've bookmarked for future shopping

when I know ( a lot more ) about what I'm doing and what should be done .

Cheers .

Funny quip from some You Tube Yoda :  Measure once - Cuss twice 😉😉 

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/ has been a great source for me in the past.

https://www.agesofsail.com/ as some have suggested, I've bought a few thing from them also.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/ for some of the best kits on the market.

https://artesanialatina.net/en/ has a large array of kits and materials.

https://craftysailor.com/ this company has a limited yet great lineup of kits and materials.

Most of these are MSW sponsors. 

Modeler’s Central wants $167 for the Amati Keel Clamp which can be had multiple othe places for $79. I wouldn’t buy or trust anything from them with that kind of lopsided pricing. 

The best place for starter and intermediate kits is our own Chris Watton’s Vanguard Models, for advanced kits our own Chuck Passaro’s Syren Ship Model Company. 

I get most of my supplies from Amazon but even with international shipping I get my Admiralty paints and specialty items from the very reliable Cornwall Boats in the UK.

Don’t let the old guard push you off kits, historical accuracy is nice but sometimes - especially starting out - you just want to enjoy building something fun.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Cornwall Models for sure. Yes it is a Euro outfit. But the prices of the Euro made kits (which many are) can be almost half of the same kit bought in the US. You will pay a little more for shipping, But I have found the total cost to still be much less than the same kit bought from a US vendor. I haven't bought anything in a while, but I do remember their turnaround was impressive. I could order a kit Saturday nite and it would arrive by Weds. the next week. I've never found any US shop that could match that.

As I said, I haven't bought any new kits is a while, but they were my go to vendor for any of the Euro made kits.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Alleycat

Thanks for posting the website.  I checked out a lot of the photos on the Model Shipyard.  As you say, they CLAIM to be historically accurate, but 5 minutes study of the photos will show their work to be miles short of being accurate on both the Agamemnon and Admiralty style models that they show.    

Glenn gives very good advice regarding taking a hard look at Vanguard and Syren.  I would add the Antscherl series of models at Model Shipways for beginner through intermediate.  

Allan

On 4/3/2022 at 10:00 PM, AlleyCat said:

"register to see the 

pricing" on the kits

That would send me running..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

48 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Hi Alleycat

Thanks for posting the website.  I checked out a lot of the photos on the Model Shipyard.  As you say, they CLAIM to be historically accurate, but 5 minutes study of the photos will show their work to be miles short of being accurate on both the Agamemnon and Admiralty style models that they show.    

Glenn gives very good advice regarding taking a hard look at Vanguard and Syren.  I would add the Antscherl series of models at Model Shipways for beginner through intermediate.  

Allan

Hi Allan .

Thank you for the wisdom , the site gave a very "quality" impression at first look , but I am not even in the same Wheel - house as the person who 

has the skills and experience to know the differences and requirements for Historical accuracy ( that would be you 🙂 ) / I'm more like 

the dock boy - here kid hold this line - lol 😉  and I have been "window shopping " at both Syren and Vanguard , but have resolved to 

complete my work on Bluenose ll  before I commit to the next boat . And I can tell you I've seen about 4 to 6 other boats here on MSW

that my mind has told me " do that one next ! " 😉 

Best regards ,

Rick .

Some many choices, so little time😁

Many, if not most of us seem to have our favorite type/era for a ship model, but it is still a pleasure to go off our own beaten path at times.   I enjoy building a Gloucester schooner as much as a 50 gun ship from the 17th century.   You have a lot of choices of high quality kits/projects from which to choose with Vanguard and Syren. 

Allan