Do you use these, comments?

First, item, got a couple.  Haven't used them.  They come in different scales.  

Middle item, used it once.  I think with some practice and (Link:) BoilerDan1's modification shown on YouTube link would make it work better.  (Spoiler alert: he uses  thin pieces of metal for the center piece of the assembly.)  

Last item looks familiar.  Seems I used something similar in working on circuit boards as heat sink when soldering and cleaning out holes.  Don't know if I still have them. Otherwise, I can't identify them.

Edited by robert952
Clarify link. Then grammar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Making a custom version of the last one can be useful for rigging. I picked up that version and it was simply too big. I use it for other random things now.

Hi Dave. I haven’t used either of the first two devices. The pick type thing on the right seems like it might be useful. The tools I mostly rely on for rigging are some long, fine tweezers and a collapsible eye needle. 

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Dave,

Have a look here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-materials-and-tools.php   There's articles on basic tools to consider and also an article on tools not to bother with.   

To see all the article categories, here's the link:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think the first two items are quite useless, as it is difficult to transfer the necessary dimensions exact enough - it is better (and easier) to work in situ.

Not sure what the thingies with the blue handles really are, but probably tools from guys working on circuit boards or something like that. I think an useful rule/guidance is to start work with the tools you have and than at some point, you will discover that you would need to do a certain operation, but cannot do it with the tools you - that is the moment to look for the right tool. Of course, it is always a good idea to look left and right how others do a certain job and what tools they use. Many rigging tools one can make oneself. Sometimes insert for pin-vises are sufficient, which is why I have a hole collection of them. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

6 hours ago, wefalck said:

I think the first two items are quite useless, as it is difficult to transfer the necessary dimensions exact enough - it is better (and easier) to work in situ.

Totally agree with Eberhard's statement.  They will cause more mistakes than doing things the old fashioned way. 

If the third pieces are proposed to be used for rigging, as posted above, make your own, buy some cheap dental tools, or tap your dentist for worn out tools.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU