Porsche flat 6 boxer engine by kpnuts 1/4 machine works

Hi all I got this today its actually a Franzis kit released under licence at a 3/4  the price of a Franzis kit, yes the instructions are not as glossy and there are no beautiful pics of the engine, and yes the box is not all luxury and flashy but the rest of the kit is exactly what you get from Franzis.

First thing I will have to deal with are those god awful carburettors.

I intend to show exactly how I do each bit of this, painting and such.

I have masked the engine in half (as I intend to do it half see through and half not) we have a machine at work which will add a cast effect to the half that is not going to be see through. The metalizing technique I use need the parts to have a metallic appearance so to get that on the top of the pistons I use my mini lathe and just hold a file over the part whilst it's on (you could do the same with a dremel)

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Edited by kpnuts

these are interesting kits too.........I have the Smithsonian Motor Works 4 cylinder.  has a motor that shows the engine in action........I have to take it apart though because it binds in certain places {mold lines and such}.  when I first ran it,  Gibbs went nutz! :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi all well started painting the casings, these are the paints I used 

IMG_0204.jpg

I don't always use these, I depends on the effect I want to achieve.

So I randomly stipple it on 

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Then I use 

IMG_0209.jpg

I stipple it on randomly 

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
I stipple the steel paint on like this (I know the engine isn't steel but trust me it works

28 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

I give up trying to work out how to put pics where you want them, I hope you can work out what I mean

I always put them on a new line brother, put the text above and below if that is what you mean...

I like your stippling brush, well used is good for some very special effects... Stiff and scrubby but not so stiff as to scratch.... Gives that chipped area of paint effect and layering gives the surface, undercoat, primer, bare metal effect of prolonged wear... Old technique but still the best technique... 

And you use it like a master of it... The pics prove that....

Nicely done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hi all next update the crank shaft is poorly represented IMG_0172.jpg.bdca3534c59910be7e7c90705e6c2b05.jpg

So I filled the gaps (I hope it still works it's so heavy now

IMG_0242.jpg.5a00b2019204980f53dcad69cd776d32.jpg

I realise it a plastic kit but look at the huge tolerances,

IMG_0244.jpg.fea60b372ab4708111c7021fee57b393.jpg

I may have to add some piston rings.

This is how they would have you put the pistons together

IMG_0246.jpg.fb364d6d47516a01cd1a6e0259982972.jpg

It would be impossible to remove the seam line like that, so I decided to drill the hole for the gudgeon pin out of one side.

IMG_0247.jpg.e38cc1d4cf6fd776d51d200c46c872e3.jpg

2 hours ago, kpnuts said:

I may have to add some piston rings.

MAY?

Might have to add a couple of sleeves as well.... {chuckle} Heck of a compression ratio, -10/1 Love what you did with the crankshaft... Masterful piece of sculpting work...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I won't try to too close a tolerance on the piston and cylinders.  I had an old kit of the Visible V8 that we (son and I) did some better fitting rings.  The darn thing wouldn't rotate without scratching up the clear plastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Yes I figured there would be a reason for such loose fitting parts.

The original Renwal Visible V-8 called in the instructions to sand the pistons smooth and use clear cooking oil as a lubricant for all moveable surfaces... looked good when first finished, but that didn't age well turning yellow and eventually brown as the oil aged and dried out.....

But I loved my Visible V-8.... For a 10 year old it was an adventure...

Quote:

1 hour ago, kpnuts said:

Here's another update.

Beautiful work as well my friend...

Question, you going to do the timing housing/covers half and half as well? Or leave it clear, that would be a lot of moving parts to catch the eye...

A visually stunning display....

Quote:

I should post my experience with the 4 cylinder.  I need to take it apart because mainly of the same problem you had with the crank shaft.  it hits and rubs inside,  impeding the electric motor that makes it work.  it wasn't too bad timing it up,  but the way they have the wires is terrible....doesn't truly represent plug wires like yours does.  when I get around to doctoring it up......perhaps.

looks really neat! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice looking demonstrator. Is the sound generated or just the normal background noise of running being picked up from the mike?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

I know they look a bit granular atm I will work on improving that.

WOW! that is some transformation!

Nicely done....

Quote: