GOODBYE & THANK YOU FROM SeaWatch Books - BOB FRIEDMAN

Dear Ship Modelers,
Thank you everyone who has participated in the Sea Watch Books experience and for helping it become a world-known publishing company.  I have enjoyed working with SeaWatchBooks and have appreciated everyone’s efforts in making the company grow.  SeaWatchBooks has been sold, and I know will continue to grow and support the modeling world.

The new owner is Mike Ellison.

Mike has been building models since his youth starting with plastic kits (his first ship model was USS Enterprise, which he built at the age of 14). But, as is often the case with modeling, life intervened and college, professional, and family obligations took center stage for many years. He returned to modeling about 10 years ago and is now an avid wooden ship modeler (his MSW handle is Sonofasonofasailor).

Mike graduated from Syracuse University in upstate New York in 1994 with degrees in Finance and Marketing. It was here where he met his wife Caroline and they got married a few years after graduating. After starting his career on Wall St., he had an opportunity to join his father in launching and building a marketing research firm, which has grown to nearly 100 people in New York City. His father is largely retired from the business and Mike plans to use his experience to continue to grow and build SeaWatch.

He and Caroline currently reside in New Jersey and are soon to be empty-nesters. Their oldest son is a sophomore at Skidmore College and their daughter will be going to Connecticut College in the fall.

I hope you will enjoy working with him in the future.  And once again, thank you so much for being a part of my dream.  Best wishes on your modeling, writing, publishing, and sailing.  May the wind always be at your back.

Bob Friedman

Posted at the request of Bob Friedman

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

i have bought a few books over the years and loved every one of them , good luck with the future endeavour and hope to see seawatch continue to prosper .

i have oredered a couple of books that i am still waiting for , do i need to contact Mike Ellison or just let things take their natural course?

5 hours ago, druxey said:

Goodbye, Bob, and thanks for all the fish!

Well said, sir.  My sentiments also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mike Ellison reached out to me after my post above and made good on my purchase from the previous owners , not only that but i got an email telling me about my order and that it had been shipped , while i understand that the previous owner had some health issues the communication wasn't that great , the new owner is making a much better job of thing ,imho, and i look forward to more dealing in the future, 

i'm not criticizing the previous owner , everything i ordered i eventually got , and love every book i have , i am looking forward to many more books and an email to say theyre on their way ,thank you seawatch books

• 3 weeks later...

The new owner will be a MSW Sponsor soon and advertise in the Journal too.  Check the thread on the reopening of SeaWatch here on MSW for their contact info - you can check with them directly.  Though I am sure that right now Mike can't provide a definitive answer.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Chief,

I spoke with Mike on several things and one of these was doing another printing of volume I of Euryalus.  It is one of the many things he has on his plate but he could not give me a timing on this happening.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 4/14/2022 at 12:33 AM, allanyed said:

Chief,

I spoke with Mike on several things and one of these was doing another printing of volume I of Euryalus.  It is one of the many things he has on his plate but he could not give me a timing on this happening.

Allan

Allan, Thanks for the info, I am in no hurry and it is nice to know it is a possibility!