AVRO Lancaster by Papa - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

Papa

• 2 weeks later...

Nice and clean build. About the decals, the shining effect of the decal carrier is called 'silvering' in the plastic model community. It is caused by air trapped between the film and the roughness of the matt paint. I am afraid it will not go away with a matt coating. At this stage what you can do if that really disturbs you is:

- paint over the obvious film with the colors of the camo (least invasive). Or:

- With patience, if you have not sealed the decals with a varnish, remove the decal with repeated application of decal liquids (or warm water); once removed, you can:

- cut and remove the biggest carrier film portions and reapply the remaining parts with decal liquids, or

- brush a product like 'Future' over the paint of the decal areas and reapply the decals with liquids; at this point surfaces will show a variation of finishes which will need to be made uniform with a layer of matt coating.

Perhaps all this is too cumbersome and not worth the effort, but this is up to you to decide.

The model has anyway its own character of an 'old school' model and I would leave it as is.

Best regards,

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Nice work 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

...or you might lose most of it by reactivating the decal adhesive.  would decal set help?    beautiful job on the paint.........awesome model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A good flat coat will take care of the shininess of the decals, but don't get any on those brilliant canopies...

Excellent Build very impressive especially in that scale...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks for all the comments   I expected the silvering on the decals. The finish is quite matte and I thought about painting a bit of clear gloss where the decals went. Decided that would probably look worse. The shine is only visible in certain lighting.  I may try a bit more decal setting solution when I return from our week in the mountains 😀.