AVRO Lancaster by Papa - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

Papa

I needed something to break up the tedium of tying ratlines on my C W Morgan so i started this Lancaster from the Dambusters mission that I’ve had on the shelf for a few years.  There are 7 gray sprues and one with the clear parts.  The quality is excellent. And the few pieces I’ve assembled so far have very positive positioning locators. The pilot in the photo has been primed and is ready for painting. 

E96D1BA0-9852-4490-9C00-5260D63208F1.jpeg

93DC436B-4DB8-4392-A0BA-978BF7B95DBC.jpeg

3 hours ago, Papa said:

Pilot flying “no hands”

No wings either.  He is good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

I had a heck of a time putting the fuselage halves together.  Just could not get the seam to close tightly. I am going to need plenty of filler😬. During my test fitting the windows started popping out and the map table came apart.  Re-glued all that and filed and fussed and fumed and used several naughty words 👿 .  It didn’t help the fit. And a newly purchased  bottle of Tamiya flat black paint dries glossy!  😝 fortunately i still had some older flat black. So here we are today. Now i am going to tie some more battens on the C W Morgan. I am almost finished with that step; on the mizzen

1A081746-FE2F-4493-BAF7-9B99EF6F3156.jpeg

On 4/19/2022 at 7:28 PM, Louie da fly said:

Surprising. I often find that naughty words magically fix the problem. Or perhaps it's the threat to throw the rotten thing against the nearest wall . . .?

Steven

I was certainly tempted to toss the whole box in the trash. But sanity prevailed 

The desire to trash this kit and give up resurfaced yesterday when i tried to assemble the wings. Lower pieces went on easily but the upper halves were not going to fit. There was not enough clearance to allow a part that forms the rear of the engine nacelle to fit in the opening provided. Once i determined that was the issue, i removed it and the wing then went on smoothly.  I then removed the lower part of this whatever it is, and glued the upper part where it belongs.  I should have taken some pictures. The next step was assembling the elevator halves.  The instructions here had the part numbers wrong. They said glue B6 and B7 for one side and then An and Am (don’t have instructions in front of me) for the other side. Wrong. The B parts just had alignment holes. While the A parts both had pins.  One needed to match a B and an A. Fortunately I discovered the problem before the glue had set on the joined B parts.  I thought it was strange the there were no pins for the holes.  I should have looked at the next step right away.  One wonders if someone actually tried to build this kit from the instructions before release. 

Was the Lancaster a new run or a re-pop in a new box? I remember fighting with the older kits to get nacelles and other parts to fit smoothly. Filler putty was my friend. 😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

16 hours ago, shipman said:

Rule number one with plastic kits........doing a dry fit with EVERYTHING is essential.

Stay calm and carry on.

That works a step at a time, and i do it.   But dry fitting multiple steps isn’t practical.  That many pieces will not stay together. I have the sense that the kits have zero tolerance.  If a few pieces are just a tiny bit off, like the thickness of a glue joint or paint something further down the line isn’t going to fit.  I’ve been building plastic kits for over 70 years and I think most of them have gone together fairly well. But every once in a while one hits a real devil of a kit.  A few years back i had a Lockheed Electra kit i was building as Amelia Earhart’s version.  That was a nightmare every step of the way.

2 hours ago, Papa said:

I have no idea?  How does one determine this?

Scalemates helps a bunch, using the product numbers off the kit can tell you when it was first made, and the copyrite year tells you when it was cast.... Failing that the box art will give you an indication of age...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

there are also mold date stamps somewhere on the model.......usually on the underside {an indiscriminant place} on the parts.  that also gives you an idea of when the model was produced and molds were tooled.  I've used Scalemates a lot.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

S

On 4/26/2022 at 11:13 AM, Canute said:

Was the Lancaster a new run or a re-pop in a new box? I remember fighting with the older kits to get nacelles and other parts to fit smoothly. Filler putty was my friend. 😉

Scalemates does not show this exact box, but nearly identical was retooled in 2012

box art.jpg

I've found that with some of the newer emerging companies.........Round 2 is a good example.  in some cases,  they forgot to remove the original mold stamps,  but their method is ink stamping.  it is hard to remove with thinners and such.....I've found the best way is sanding it off,  if there is a threat of it showing through the paint.  it's not to bad if it's a 'molded' stamp,  since it's the same color as the plastic.  it's not that uncommon either,  to find the date stamp from another company,  like Aurora,  Pyro,  etc.   take the 1:72 scale Stuka I built a while ago.........this model was produced,  using the same molds, by at least four other companies.

there are many kits out there that have issues that your experiencing.....dry fitting {no matter how hap-hazard} usually helps in fitting everything together.  as I build,  I try and see what can be done as a sub assembly,  especially if it is to be the same color.  a lot of times one may have to jump around in the instructions,  in order to head off problems.  I decided to follow the instructions when I built the Christine model.  when I got to putting the body on the chassis,  I found that how they wanted me to assemble the firewall {and the fact that the inner fender wells are molded to the body}  made the process difficult to do.  I have another kit of the same model { same kit but different subject}......I might experiment and build it the way I really would have done it.  no log though 'cuz I already built a similar model ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Papa said:

.....i think it came out pretty good.

You know what? so do I... {chuckle}

Keep going brother, seems to me you have a good understanding of the process, the finer points will come with practice... Straight up, that is how they did it on the real aircraft... flat pattern mats laid over the aircraft and sprayed off the edges.... Couldn't get more authentic than that....

Well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 minutes ago, Egilman said:

You know what? so do I... {chuckle}

Keep going brother, seems to me you have a good understanding of the process, the finer points will come with practice... Straight up, that is how they did it on the real aircraft... flat pattern mats laid over the aircraft and sprayed off the edges.... Couldn't get more authentic than that....

Well done...

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to have found your build thread for the Lancaster. This is a brand-new mold for Airfix, along with a new B-17 kit as well. Both kits are well received by the modelers I have seen that built and reviewed them, light years ahead of the old tools. As a matter of fact, Airfix has released a lot of new kits in the past few years. Many are great kits IMHO. I first built the old Airfix B-17 kit in 1967 after buying it at the Smithsonian in Washington DC. I thought that kit was just fabulous back then. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...