Byrnes Modeling Machines - Customer Service

This is not a post about the Byrnes Saw, I'll just sum that up by saying there is no saw but the Byrnes saw. It's also not about the Byrnes Disc Sander or Thickness Sander which I also own and are equally outstanding.

This is instead about Jim and Donna Byrnes and the level of customer service they provide in support of their amazing products. It's nothing short of OUTSTANDING!  I've had my saw for about 15 years and never had a problem until recently and likely one that I caused and not the quality of the design. Donna usually answers the phone because Jim is building things, I explained my problem to her, she said she'd have Jim call me back, which he did later that day. After some trial and error attempts per Jim's guidance he said "We'll send you a new arbor and an email on how to change it." Three days later I had the new arbor and installed it (after first admiring the piece, the milling is pure artistry) using his clear instruction. However another small problem resulted, by a few thousands of an inch the blade guard on the top of the table was rubbing the blade (after conferring further with Jim I had properly installed the arbor correctly). "Donna will send you a new blade cover." I'm sure he milled a special one that accounted for the few thousands because when I got it, again three days later, it was a perfect fit.

I've had other interactions with Jim and Donna over the years, always pleasant, always informative and helpful.  This incident though was above and beyond - total, thorough, and complete support for a product I purchased over 15 years ago as though I'd bought it yesterday.  No mail the unit in and we'll see what we can do, instead here's the part and how to install it. Who does that these days, what small business takes that level of pride and support in the products they produce over a decade after they sold it to you. 

Just Amazing!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Absolutely. I am in the UK and bought my saw second hand but get treated like a valued customer. Full marks to Jim and Donna. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I am so pleased to have the sander/ thickness sander and table saw of Byrnes.
My best tool investment ever!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I have had the same fantastic customer service on my thickness sander. (I have the saw also)

I was getting bearing noise and some play on the drum shaft. Called and talked to Jim and he helped diagnose the problem.

Replacing the bad bearing or bearings was not an easy job so I was advised to send the sander back for him for repair.

At that time this thickness sander was over15 years old and heavily used a lot.

However, it has been so valuable in being able to create my own wood sizes for scratch building that I would have bought another if that's what it took.

Within a very short time after it was sent, I was contacted and told that the repair was finished and the cost would only be the price of the return postage!

I got it back and it runs just like new.

Just Amazing, Indeed!

Building: 1/10 scale 1922 Alden Malabar ll R/C

Finished: Rappahannock Boat Works Torpedo stern, steam launch. R/C 1/6 scale steam launch,  Corel Flying Fish 1860

Quite simply the best customer service ever  - when I decided to have my table saw altered to have the larger table I asked Jim if he could please get it back to me in the UK ASAP.  I received it back about 3 weeks later so that I could carry on building and at that time we were all in lockdown due to covid.  Jim and Donna sent it to me at their own expense and only asked for payment 2 weeks after I had received it back.  Now thats real trust and I could not thank them enough!

I'll jump on this bandwagon also.  I have had most of Jim's tools for many, many years.  Over that time the tools have been reliable, accurate and safe to use.  The few issues I have had were quickly sorted and parts sent when necessary, much appreciated noting I live on the other side of the world :)

cheers, and many thanks Jim and Donna

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, mitbok said:

Have not seen any posts on this on MSW - unfortunately Jim  Byrnes passed away, a big loss for ship modeling community.

Obituary is posted on Byrnes Modeling Machines site. There is no news on what is going to happen with the company, apperantly

they still taking orders.

Yes it is sad news.  It has touched many people here:

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold