HMS Victory 1805 by kiwiron - Caldercraft - 1:72

While no-one likes to receive sub-par items, this might not be a lack of quality control on the part of Caldercraft. More likely perhaps a result of the box being shaken on its long journey from England to New Zealand?

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gun ports linings on,dry fit camber beams.  Next clean up gun ports, sanding, painting.

20220926_201559.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Wales next, paint later on after finding something for the waterways.

20220928_101312.jpg

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Replacement castings from kit supplier. Hobbies.co.uk have been great getting these for me. Looking at using some 1.5 x 1.5 walnut supplied in kit for waterways but worried about running short later on. Has anyone finished theirs and had spare left over? Thanks Ron.20220927_214448.thumb.jpg.79bb2704637290c0c2cbf0fcb993e7e1.jpg

Can't speak specifically about the 1.5 mm sq. walnut as I bought extra from a local model shop to do that particular additional feature, but so far I have found that Jotika/Caldercraft have been generous in the quality of various materials, both wood and metal, that they provide. Even having had to re-do some of my build due to inexperience/incompetence there hasn't (yet!) been the problem of running out of stock.

Cheers,

Graham

Same here.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Good one, thanks a lot. I managed to find some 1.5 x 2mm, all good now at the hobby shop. Must have a look at your builds to check my wale line for the top position of the bottom Wale.

20221001_170012.jpg

20221001_170019.jpg

20221001_172346.jpg

Thanks lol, I'm trying but a lot of other Victory builds on here are amazing. I get a difficult piece and think it's a mess but by the time I use filler and later on paint it should'nt be too bad. I do enjoy most of it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wales done now after a break, onto the gun port linings. Rudely interrupted by going to work. 

20221128_191132.jpg

20221128_170340.jpg

20221128_190653.jpg

Thanks, small mistakes from early on showing up now but can be fixed. I didn't find the gun ports linings to bad, just gentle with the 16mm walnut. Only a few linings lost into the hull out of 288. Hope I can do a decent waterline mark out. Ron.

Thanks a lot to Graham and others doing the Victory. I would be lost without you. The waterline was easy following Grahams idea.

20221208_135259.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, nowhere near your standard but happy with it so far. A start on the copper now, trying to butt the copper plates as close as I can together.

20221219_185059.jpg

Edited by kiwiron

10 hours ago, kiwiron said:

trying to butt the copper plates as close as I can together.

Hi Kiwiron,

Lovely build, thank you for sharing  your log.

For future consideration note that actually the plates overlap 1 1/2", they never butted together.  This might be difficult and may not look good with the kit plates as they look to be much too thick.  At your scale they should only be about one to two thousandths thick so likely have no choice unless you go to copper foil which is a good choice.  At your scale, nail dents (not raised bumps) would be barely visible.  See the sketch below.  (The copper paint looks very good by itself.) 

One point about which I am curious, hope you don't mind.   Did the kit call for the port lid stops on all four sides?  I am pretty sure Victory is like most ships of that era in that they were only on the bottom and sides of the port to keep the lid from swinging in.

728930469_copperplatingsketch.JPG.dcfc026781d44f2900f275c63695e86f.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks for the info, I also found doing my Endeavour a lot of things were not accurate or just someone's best guess of how things looked. I think with kit parts they do what they can to get close to reality. With the current plates over lapping they would stick up a lot, like you say they should be really very thin. The kit calls for 4 gun port linings. If someone else hasn't got that far they could be left out. Any comments welcome thanks.