HMS Victory 1805 by kiwiron - Caldercraft - 1:72

A few more projects done. The forecastle breast beam supports were a disaster. They disintegrated on removal from the template but I found some reasonable replacements. 

20230615_185104.jpg

20230615_181842.jpg

Edited by kiwiron

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Thanks, I found a couple of small gun ports still covered with planking, oops. Onto the waist ladders now. Thanks to Graham and Robert I now have stantions and black thread on the waist ladder and a thread to save the main companionway from disappearing into the hull. 

20230619_214434.jpg

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Cannons etc, onto cat tails next. Sit back and take it in now. Varnish jobs to do as well.

20230707_212730.jpg

20230707_212653.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Start of boats, I can do them in breaks at work.  Cat tails started, going better once I realized the bend on the parts 131 and 64 are supposed to match the camber on the deck. 

20230716_114828.jpg

It all looks great Ron. I presume those boat kits come with the main kit? They look bloody hard to plank. Hope that goes well. I used the excellent Vanguard Models kit for my boat but they'd be the wrong scale for Victory.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Alistair, I'm trying. The boat kits come with it, the planking is 0.5 thick so bends easily. Everything I touch at the moment breaks so lots of glue. 

13 hours ago, aliluke said:

I used the excellent Vanguard Models kit for my boat but they'd be the wrong scale for Victory.

The Vanguard boats really are good, but alas, the scale is wrong for your 1:72 build as Alistair states.    It is not very difficult to make your own  boats and they will look realistic.   There are a lot of contemporary plans and all the scantlings needed readily available if you want to give that a try.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Looking good Ron.  Yes 0.5mm is quite thin and especially where the planks get narrower they break quite easily. Wetting and heating helps to minimise the problem.

Robert

• 5 months later...

A little bit of progress after a break. Poop deck ladder etc, fire buckets, beakhead bulkhead. Carronades next.

20240125_181028.jpg

20240125_181040.jpg

Edited by kiwiron

Oh yes, it's definitely a big project Ron, challenging but so satisfying once completed. Passing on a great piece of advice I was given by a much respected member of this site, Shipyard Sid, take your time and enjoy it. I shall be watching your progress with much interest.

Cheers,

Graham.

Edited by Charter33

Hi Ron,

Your model is really looking good.  I really like how all of your gratings correctly have a solid periphery that will lay against the head ledges and coamings.   I realize it may be an incorrect kit instruction, but I believe the battens on the gratings always lay fore and aft.  Some in the photos are running athwartships.   

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan, The gratings fit together as a square block then cut down to size. A little bit more progress. 

20240205_194736.jpg

20240205_194708.jpg

Mock up of the Boomkins  knightheads and hand rail. Putting away in a safe place, hopefully to be found again. Figurehead next hope I don't get cross eyed. 

20240206_182749.jpg

Your comment is much appreciated Ron. With reference to decoration on the figurehead, I based it on photographs found on the internet of the current design, a research source I also used for the stern decoration and the entry ports. Unfortunately there is often confusion and disparity when comparing contemporary images to earlier historic pictures. So much has changed over the years, and this includes styles of carving etc. as much as application of colour! The point I'm trying to make here is that it may not be an accurate rendition of what was there in the past, but hopefully it's close enough 😉

Sounds good, I found the same with my Endeavour. So many variations and repairs made changed things depending on what materials the crew could find at the time.