Captain John Smith’s shallop 1608 by shipphotographer.com - Ships of Pavel Nikitin - 1:32

I'm starting a little project again to keep my hands busy while I'm on vacation. This time it's a boat based on Captain John Smith's Shallop (1608) from the Ukrainian manufacturer and my friend Pavel Nikitin. He designed this kit during the first month of the war and already sent the first batches to warehouses in Germany and Bulgaria. In order to ensure the operation of the store and not get into such trouble with orders, as happened with his store in Kyiv, which had just opened on the eve of the war...
I will be building exclusively with hand tools in a shipyard that fits on a coffee table...

On my YouTube channel, in the description under the video, you can find a promo-code for a discount on all products in Pavel Nikitin's store and on this specific KIT.

8C7A2109.thumb.jpg.ae61d7e1461a2a8d73d878aeb5d172ba.jpg8C7A2127.thumb.jpg.4b6f983f191accb8cfc4797cf7d6bf18.jpg001-stand.thumb.jpg.856573cf841cb24fc64d996bbbd3afb7.jpg002-frames.thumb.jpg.642ed4d03308b1b7d2a0ff3d7e322b6e.jpg004-frames.thumb.jpg.c70f27e994e83cb4034c94c269664bf4.jpg005-frames.thumb.jpg.3067217375bd29f9f1e25905a708a6ed.jpg006-skeleton.thumb.jpg.7e2a23bb81e5b7fc933dfd13952c078c.jpg007-skeleton.thumb.jpg.e4826cdf9e43c97be145820539701734.jpg008-asisstant.thumb.jpg.5fb4914289bbca0aaf5ab20290ca2b5d.jpg009-skeleton.thumb.jpg.a7d9912395ed8087151de19e5befbec5.jpg013-skeleton.thumb.jpg.3aeff2fa32fb3f16399497fd412805b5.jpg011-skeleton.thumb.jpg.f39c087a2653decd9aba7e0c4cd1fe6c.jpg012-skeleton.thumb.jpg.b417b452b4a389df005a43676c180cd6.jpg

I was able to fill in all the fields and completed an order after filling in all the fields , but it never asked for payment. I then got a confirmation email for the order. Will I receive another email or phone call for payment? Who knows? Web site needs some work if he wants to make sales.

Ship model and construction is interesting.

Current build: Armed Virginia Sloop

Previous Builds: , Amati Fifie, Glad Tidings,Bluenose II, Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, Fair American, Danmark, Constitution Cross Section, Bluenose 

1 hour ago, thibaultron said:

Using a cat for scale is much more visually stunning, than a coin!

This cat is a little out of scale -he is only 5 months old. At the end of the building, this boat will decrease in scale)))

3 minutes ago, Dsmith20639 said:

I was able to fill in all the fields and completed an order after filling in all the fields , but it never asked for payment. I then got a confirmation email for the order. Will I receive another email or phone call for payment? Who knows? Web site needs some work if he wants to make sales.

Ship model and construction is interesting.

Yes, at the moment everything is in manual mode. Temporarily, it is not possible to set up the correct operation of payments in the online store. I don't know all these technical details but you can ask Pavel. You will receive a letter from Pavel or his employees...

Thank you for the video.  A good way to show the method for fairing the frames.  Your videos show a lot of technique on building models.  

Question:  Do you dilute the PVA?  If so, how much?  

I am looking forward to this build.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

16 hours ago, robert952 said:

Thank you for the video.  A good way to show the method for fairing the frames.  Your videos show a lot of technique on building models.  

Question:  Do you dilute the PVA?  If so, how much?  

I am looking forward to this build.  

Thank you very much!
No, I do not dilute the glue. I can add black acrylic paint to the PVA to simulate caulking...

14 hours ago, grsjax said:

Any idea about shipping cost to the US?

You will find out when you register on the website and choose a product. Because due to some inconvenience - the cost of delivery is calculated manually in each case. Therefore, there is no possibility to pay for the order on the website. You will first receive a letter of receipt of the order, and a second letter with the full price together with the delivery...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, DocBlake said:

Is there any thought to making plans available for purchase for a scratch-builder??

Hi Dave,

You bring up an interesting point regarding scratch building ships' boats.  I have W. E. May's book, The Boats of Men of War, Lavery has good information on boats in The Arming and Fitting, and there are great contemporary plans from RMG for British boats, but there is no book with plans on actually building model ships' boats.   I have been discussing a project like this with Michael at SeaWatch and if it comes to pass, it would likely be more of a monograph with plans and scantlings on an array of boat types, sizes and eras as well as some "how-to" text and photos.  Whatcha think of the idea?

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

24 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Whatcha think of the idea?

Allan

Seriously???? You have to ask????? Put me down for a copy, just let me know when it is out.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...

I got the kit the other day. Very nice! I started the build the other day and I would say that Olha’s YouTube video is very helpful. It is a very nice kit. You have three build frames to construct the model. One for the ribbing of the kit. Another for the set up to plank the model and another that is the base but will allow you to rig the ship. The frames are made of MDF and they serve the purpose. The wood to build the boat seems to be cherry. Very nice. The line suppled is much better than most kits. I don’t think I will need to swap out this line for Chuck’s line. We will see.

Those members of the NRG, and who attended the 2010 Conference at Annapolis may have seen the Shallop down at the harbor.

The Sultana Project built a “copy” of the Shallop. I took a bunch of photos.

Try going to this web site, www.smith trail.net/captain-john-smith/the-shallop.aspx

This article has some very good info on how they built their Shallop.

Hope this is of use.

Regards

Tim Murphy 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:02 PM, allanyed said:

Hi Dave,

You bring up an interesting point regarding scratch building ships' boats.  I have W. E. May's book, The Boats of Men of War, Lavery has good information on boats in The Arming and Fitting, and there are great contemporary plans from RMG for British boats, but there is no book with plans on actually building model ships' boats.   I have been discussing a project like this with Michael at SeaWatch and if it comes to pass, it would likely be more of a monograph with plans and scantlings on an array of boat types, sizes and eras as well as some "how-to" text and photos.  Whatcha think of the idea?

Allan

Many of us would be very interested!  Who will do the CAD work?

Hi Dave,

CAD work and spread sheets of scantlings are started.   Only need to live to 120 to get all the projects done.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

One point on this build.

A Shallop was built , it was built in England or Holland (eg. the Plymouth Pilgrims).

The boat was to long to be carried on board Susan B. Constant or the Mayflower.

The boat was built in two pieces. A forward section and aft section. 
So we need to put a wall amidships on the model to delineate the two half’s.

Just a point to consider.

Tim Murphy 

On 8/27/2022 at 12:25 PM, Waldemar said:

Great photos, great music. Professional level.

BTW, thanks again for sharing recently your best up to date pictures of the Vasa.

Thank you very much!
I'm glad you liked my photos!

• 4 weeks later...