You would think there would be some below deck pictures..  Problems in that area?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

15 minutes ago, Gregory said:

You would think there would be some below deck pictures..  Problems in that area?

Yeah, I was disappointed not to see cabin photos or info on when she was last surveyed. You can tell the topside wood needs to be sanded and revarnished and maybe a new coat of white deck paint. None of the bright work has a closeup photo, the sails look good. She's tired but at a hundred and seventeen years old I guess that can be expected. Beautiful lines to her. 

3 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Yeah, I was disappointed not to see cabin photos or info on when she was last surveyed. You can tell the topside wood needs to be sanded and revarnished and maybe a new coat of white deck paint. None of the bright work has a closeup photo, the sails look good. She's tired but at a hundred and seventeen years old I guess that can be expected. Beautiful lines to her. 

There's another NY30 on the market for $390,000, so you can draw your own conclusions as to the condition of the one on eBay for $112,000. ( 1905 Herreshoff New York 30 Antique and Classic for sale - YachtWorld ) She's probably due for a major rebuild. These beautiful classic boats are worthy of major rebuilds, but few can justify putting the mid-six figures necessary into doing so. The higher priced one had 95% of her frames and floor timbers replaced, a new interior and decks and deckhouse done in a major rebuild about six or eight years ago, and that work probably cost quite a bit more than it would have to simply have built another one completely new. A lot of money for that much boat, but if you want to rub shoulders with the high and mighty at the NYYC, that's the price of admission, I suppose.

There's not much to see below on these old time class racers. They would built lightly and with Spartan accommodations. The furniture as designed is elegant in its simplicity, but not intended for "company." These were essentially large "day sailers" intended for racing only.

Edited by Bob Cleek

25 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

There's another NY30 on the market for $390,000

She's a beauty. Nothing to do to her except lounge about and sip 5 o'clock martinis. 

Bob, let's go in halves on this one. This is the one to buy if money REALLY doesn't matter.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1902-herreshoff-gaff-cutter-7731399/

Edited by Keith Black

On 9/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Keith Black said:

She's a beauty. Nothing to do to her except lounge about and sip 5 o'clock martinis. 

Bob, let's go in halves on this one. This is the one to buy if money REALLY doesn't matter.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1902-herreshoff-gaff-cutter-7731399/

Keith,

I might be tempted to go in on her with you, but my first real cruising adventures were on a boat built in the 1920’s, and outfitted very similarly to this craft. I like to think I’ve earned more comforts now. Also, a tiller is not great on a cruising boat. Finally, I know you would never sip a martini at 5 o’clock!

TB

On 9/7/2022 at 1:31 PM, Keith Black said:

Keith, as a former classic yacht broker, I'd say $380,000 is way more than this NY30 is really worth. I don't doubt they have every bit of that into her, but the market is in the toilet right now and they are asking a lot of money for the "cachet." That kind of money will buy a lot of boat in that class these days. If money's no object, you and TBlack might want to consider that this one: sold for and asking price of only around $200,000 with the purchase price likely considerably less, and it's a new steel hull with state-of-the-art construction and technology: https://dailyboats.com/boat/162322-buy-laurent-giles-54-steel-gaff-rigged-cutter-for-sale

70052479.jpg

Edited by Bob Cleek

It is also interesting that they don’t tell you where

she is, although maybe the owner figures that after spending $100,000+ getting her where you can use her is just loose change.

I also cannot imagine that anyone would buy her prior to a survey.  These repairs/rebuilds often involve building a completely new boat.

Roger

1 hour ago, TBlack said:

I know you would never sip a martini at 5 o’clock!

Oh, I might have one for old times sake. At our age all the adventure's been squeezed outta the tube, ain't it a shame. :(

1 hour ago, Bob Cleek said:

considerably less, and it's a new steel hull

Dang, Bob. Steel hull? And I suppose all the woodwork has been polyurethaned instead of varnished? :)

38 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

It is also interesting that they don’t tell you where

Which one, Roger? 

The one on EBay is in Massachusetts.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

8 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Dang, Bob. Steel hull? And I suppose all the woodwork has been polyurethaned instead of varnished? :)

Goodness! I certainly hope not! :D 

Yes, the stainless steel fittings and all the modern design below is rather jarring to a "classicist's eye." In this day and age, though, the modern materials promise a much longer-lived boat than the traditional wooden construction. I'm not a big fan of it, mind you, but if I were spending that kind of money on a cruising boat, I'd sure be looking for something like that boat for the lower maintenance, if nothing else.

Maintenance aside, I'd prefer a laid wood deck and bronze hardware to the modern steel construction:

See the source image

The original Dyarchy built of wood is a much "saltier" boat.

See the source image

See the source image

I have a set of the original Dyarchy plans and a license to build one model from them. I hope to get around to it one of these days.

Edited by Bob Cleek

1 hour ago, Bob Cleek said:

I hope to get around to it one of these days.

Bob, would love to follow your build log. A single step and all that. 

On 9/9/2022 at 4:54 PM, Keith Black said:

Oh, I might have one for old times sake. At our age all the adventure's been squeezed outta the tube, ain't it a shame. :(

As much as I still like adventure, one must remember that "adventure makes one late for dinner".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)