Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Makes perfect sense to me to do as much of the rigging and prep-work off of the ship as you can, before attaching them permanently.  Very nice work! :dancetl6:   Can I ask where you picked up the adjustable jig with the pins in it. Is that a MM product? Looks handy! 

George,

Yes MM. but then went to Ebay so much cheaper. Called a Universal vice if link below does not load.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-WORK-HOLDER-PEG-CLAMP-JEWELERS-HAND-TOOL-HAND-HELD-VISE-ENGRAVERS-TOOL/190576041404?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33421%26meid%3D46035cbe1bf14707b52a04500d97d26e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D151806811362

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael,

You are skipping a step in your picture posting that is leaving them on your post as an attachments, but without a specified order, so they'll just be wherever the uploader puts them.

You are clicking the 'choose file' button, and then selecting your pictures and clicking 'attach this file', but that just puts them all at the bottom of your post as attachments, in whatever order.

To finish up and make things neat, place the cursor in your post wherever you want the picture to appear, and click on the "Add to Post" link for each picture, in the order you want them to appear:

attachicon.gifupload.jpg

When you do that, you'll see that your in-progress post now has the attachment, with a number, and the name of the file listed in a specific spot in your post, like this:

attachicon.gifupload2.jpg

Then when you are done and click "Add Reply", all of the pictures will appear at the location you've chosen.  If you forget (or choose) not to click the "Add to Post" on any picture, it will still appear at the bottom of your post as a loose attachment.

Brian,

Thanks so much for that info. I'll pay more attention next time. Though I'm a Mac guy, that may have something to do with it. I see the pics loading in order, then when I post sometimes they load as they did just above. I'll make sure that I'm following your steps

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

Great work again...

And so complicated and chaotic in a too small area... Wood, rope and metal work. Well done as usual...

And the case about pictures... As if you had finished the complete ship and now you are trying to dismantle piece by piece so that even you reach to the initial Corel box... The pics of dismantling...   :D

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Ferit,

Thank you for your always very kind thoughts.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 3 weeks later...

Lawrence,

Thanks for your nice comments. Always appreciated.

George was asking about that vice as well, I'm sure that you saw the link just a few posts above.

Yes very handy indeed.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Started preliminary work on the foremast. Will return to bowsprit  (do need to finish that up). Needed a break from absorbing three diff. rigging plans trying to decide where to correctly place blocks.

PS: note one of the pics; mast was too short needed and extending “wooden leg”

Thanks so much for dropping by comments and likes, as well as your continued interest.

PS: Brian THANKS for your help regarding order of pics (;-)

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-83056200-1445269616_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-87364700-1445269642_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-98786500-1445269666_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-80678600-1445269678_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-51008200-1445269690_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-25560800-1445269706_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-23127700-1445269720_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-68200600-1445269733_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-75359000-1445269756_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael. Your attention to detail is unparalleled.

I'm so envious!!! :) 

Excellent work!

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Nigel, Ferit, and Frank thanks for your kind remarks, as well for the "likes".

As I have said before I have learned so much from looking at and reading the wonderful build logs here at MSW. Still learning but getting better (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi mates,

Still with the foremast, added a light Oak stain, then installed the pulleys. Started the mast rope wraps using the technique in last photo.

Also starting the foremast top. I had some issues with the bowsprit platform installation (my bad-still learning) this one will be easier. When I get it together I will post some pics as well as what I did wrong with the bowsprit top.

Still have not figured out how to properly scale the platform rings. The lower ring should be wider and flatter. Frank has a great tool for making those rings, but I don’t want to buy more tools (;-)

So small visual update, thanks for dropping by. 

PS: Mast wrapping technique I learned here, of course...

post-735-0-98528900-1445798855_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-37297000-1445798868_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-14268700-1445798881_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-38451200-1445798893_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-79231100-1445798905_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-24613400-1445798921.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I concur with George,superb attention to detail Michael  B)  B) I feel that not only have we witnessed you model grow throughout your log,your skills and ingenuity have grown at the same time B) Outstanding work,a true pleasure to be following along :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I concur with George and Nigel! :) I'll repeat myself again and say that your details are so amazingly crisp and well executed. I've learned a lot from you - thanks!!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Mighty fine work,Michael. Just one thing - I believe the Corel plans are incorrect about having the wrappings on the fore mast. According to the experts on the Vasa forum only the main mast had the wrappings.Either way it still looks great.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Nigel,  Geez  such words, especially coming from a superlative builder as yourself - sooo many thanks!

George and Buck thank you so much as well. Thanks for being much appreciated followers of this build log.

Thanks as well for all visitors and "like" clicks.

Mark,

Thanks for your very kind words, as well as your notations. I was so “motivated” to try the mast wrappings that I overlooked the latest rigging research for this conundrum of a ship.

I relied on the 1981 Vasa Museum plan sheet, Billings and Corel’s as well. After reading your post, and I know that you continuously thoroughly research the latest “crumbs” of new information  for the Vasa, I will remove those wraps.

So indeed thanks ! The 1/1 and the 1/10th only wrap the main. Well at least now I know how to do it. I really appreciate your advice.

PS: Yo Mr. Hocker (if you happen to be reading this) where is Vasa II  ????

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-71963100-1445877574_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

According information of Fred Hocker the book Vasa II is delayed till Easter 2016. so after issuance of the book we can revise the rigging :)

I made the wrapping on the fore and main mast according Corels instructions and based on information of Dutch standards in shipbuilding.

I am using information from the replica of the Batavia also

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Thanks JanV,

Well we shall see. This book has been, now, almost two years behind its initial publishing release date. this only adds to the uncertainty of Vasa builders trying to accurately ring this ship. Your comments about the Batavia are well taken. I also have many photos of this "sister" ship. So who knows??

After Vasa II is published I will then have to wait for Vasa II updated publishing corrections (:-). I'm joking - all OK.

We are all certainly, to an extent, still enjoying this build. Well, we certainly have SO many photos of the actual 1628 original. Now that has been really great. The only "iffy" parts are the rigging. And apart from the few of us who have become "fanatics" 99.9% won't have a clue if a rigging line is out of place (:-)

PS: I have found a solution to the mast platform lower rings for the fore and main masts - I will post some updates. THANKS to all of you who drop by...

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

David, thanks so much. It's so nice when we can learn from each other.

Almost done with bowsprit masts, just need to finish up shrouds, attach the chains and deadeyes as well as the ratlings.

I will remove the six lower deadeye lines, and re install them. I am not satisfied with the knots (too bulky [pic. 8]) then attach them to the bowsprit mast under the cap.

Please note that the mast has not been permanently attached. Talk about a mistake that would be !!

Now working on foremast platform. As always thanks for your visits.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-84697400-1446233165_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-11950700-1446233178_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-20313500-1446233214_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-73076700-1446233230_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-54805500-1446233246_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-16457600-1446233266_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-13909600-1446233282_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-48197500-1446233296_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-75642500-1446233310_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-18976000-1446233327_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-21644500-1446233344_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Excellent work Michael B) You have obviously mastered the lathe now as well as the mill ;) I am still sat on the fence as to whether to buy the Proxxon or go all out and buy a metal capable lathe.If I buy the wood one,I will still want a metal turning one :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Michael,

I expect and believe (it depends on your choice only) that we'll find and follow your next build in scratch build log...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Mates,

Thanks always for the likes and for dropping by;

Nigel -- Go for the "full" version. How many times have we all bought something only to then realize that the next step up would have been a better choice. In your case Nigel, you are such a master builder IMO go for the one that you "really" want. 

Ferit, thanks so much BUT as I have mentioned before when I first joined MSW you were one of my teachers. You taught me about super detailing cannon carriages, rigging, as well as recommending the BEST rigging glue (G-S Hypo) I will always be thankful about this tip. We miss your Berlin updates.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Fantastic work Michael.  You are an inspiration to newbies such as me building only my second ship.  I can see you are "into" the rigging in a big way.  From the images it looks like a rat's nest with ropes tied to the bowsprint mast everywhere.  How do you manage to sort it all out?  Maybe in my ignorance I imagined I will assemble all the masts and then fit one rigging rope or rigging piece at a time, building it gradually.  Is that a bad way for a newbie to start on rigging?

Thanks,

Rob

Wow - look at all those ropes. I hope you can remember which one goes where. Wait till you get to rigging all the crow`s feet on this ship - you almost need 3 hands :D .When you do get to them I found that using the thinnest thread I could find seemed to work the best at this scale.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Rob,

Thanks for your nice words. Please note that for-all-intense-and-purposes I am also a sort of newbie. This is my second  build, the first one was back in the 70’s when I was in my twenties (a simple Santa Maria). I followed a lot of great logs here and learned a huge amount. Though I must say that my nautical vocabulary is still really very poor. And I bought, as well learned how to use some great tools!!

So in answer to your observation; I don’t know if the “organized chaos” of hanging ropes will make things easier later. I’m new at thinking ahead with rigging.

I do know that attaching all of the blocks first is a must, and as I was going along, it occurred to me that with the mast “in hand” it would be easier to also add certain ropes and just coil them for later.

There are actually not that many; 2 for the lower yard, then just 4 others. After I secure the cap shrouds and deadeyes it will look much more organized. I hope?.

Thanks for following along much appreciated.

PS: Your build is coming along very nicely. Billings was a wise choice.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -