Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Mates,

Thanks for all of your kind remarks, very nurturing indeed.

This post will be long winded, but I hope that my frustrations will help some others; I having learned so much from so many of you.

Well another attempt at that pesky knighthead. This time I tried to do just a lamination without any grooves, and after sanding and shaping would again try my luck with the Proxxon. Followed Nigel’s excellent “how to” lesson, and started feeling good the grooves looked to be taking their proper shapes.

The front side looked “ok”. Flipped it over and the grooves were all out of alignment. Hmm, then realized that my pre-shaping resulted in the piece being off square. This, off course resulted in another failure with the innocently abused Proxxon.

So now feeling more informed, cut a fresh piece of wood and had the Proxxon go back to work with newly gained operator knowledge. Well “I’ll be” looked as if I knew what I was doing for a change.

After subsequent sanding and adjusting to fit in the weather-deck hole I was able to adjust the outer shape to better match the grooves.

So, I’m relieved and have learned so much with this small bit, but also gained needed confidence, after four attempts Oh My!!. Now onto the others…..pieces of cake -- ha ha.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-11069100-1433551872_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-94466800-1433551881_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-57097200-1433551890_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-69890100-1433551900_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-57292100-1433551911_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67138000-1433551920_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-38401400-1433551934_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-14762100-1433551944_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-58974200-1433551954_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-52863000-1433551964_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-55471700-1433551973_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-96512600-1433551982_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-47098600-1433551991_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Now those are some beautifully done sheaves Michael.  Can I ask if that was the 1 mm end mill bit you used? I ask because I'm thinking about buying all of their small bits for just that same type of milling.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Glakie,

Thanks for your kind words. Here is what I used. Bought a set of five diff. sizes from a vendor on eBay. They have worked out very nicely as I'm learning.

post-735-0-84358800-1433636248_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks Michael! I've spotted a couple Proxxon sets starting with the 1mm up to the 10mm, but it looks like I should start looking for some in-between sizes.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

GLakie,

Just a thought, and far be it for me to even offer an opinion regarding tools, however; When I first discovered about milling bits and our hobby I thought that I should buy Proxxon bits. Geezzz are they expensive, or what?

After further research I learned that the Proxxon quality bits are also applicable for metal work. Work for very light wood work, as in our hobby, the Proxxon's would have been overkill IMO.

So eBay it was. As you can see in my first attempt with this type of work the bits did a "perfect" job of grooving. I think that I paid around $20 USD for the five diff. size bits.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I'm glad you mentioned the metal milling capability of those bits Michael. On the contrary, I value your opinion on these tools a lot, since you've been doing this smaller scale wood-working, and I haven't. I know I won't be doing much, if any, metal milling that will require a metal lathe or milling machine, so finding bits for wood will be just fine. Finding the larger ones is easy. It's the smaller bits I'm looking for.  My milling machine is going to be simply a drill-press with an X-Y table, strictly for doing wood. So these bits don't need to be Proxxon. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Excellent work Michael!!!!!.It is just a case of getting your head around utilizing the dials and relating them to the required measurements.You will find the processes easier and cleaner with the dedicated proxxon fishtail milling bits though.They are designed to cut downwards as well as sideways.They also only have two flutes which reduces the chance of burning the wood and generally run cooler for longer.They do last a very long time so don't workout too expensive in the long run.Another advantage is that they fit in the collets instead of using the chuck.This virtually eliminates any run out inaccuracies enabling very high precision work.Only disadvantage is they only come in three sizes so multiple passes may be required if your slot isn't the same size as one of the cutters.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi mates,

Well it appears as though this bit is actually completed. Thanks for all of the nice words, Like clicks, or just dropping in.

A special thanks to Peter and Nigel for their so helpful suggestions, made such a difference.

The last pic was taken before any “fixes” what was I thinking? ha ha. Learned so much about this ship since “that” installation. As I look at it now I start to laugh. At the risk of being redundant, if it had not been for MSW, I would still be in a state of confusion (;-) 

OK, now onto the next three sheaves. I pulled out the old ones so there are holes in the deck.

PS: I won't bore you with pics of the setup. I'll post when it's done.

PS2 2: not crazy about those Corel knighthead figures. Decided not to repaint them but leave them "used" looking hmmmm

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-70098200-1433899792_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-38692000-1433899800_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-18544900-1433899808_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67372200-1433899816_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-70408300-1433899825_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-78829900-1433899835_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-13700100-1433899843_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36983300-1433899850_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-68356400-1433899858_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

She looks exquisite Michael!  I know I've said it before, but I'd have a lot of trouble giving a ship this well done away.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thank folks,

No Mark it's not an optical illusion. I just did not have the skills to cut a fourth (correct) sheave within the block of that size. Also I did not know how to make such thin pulleys. I should have made a notation (;-) So the compromise. hmmmm

George, thanks for your always so encouraging thoughts.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

"I just did not have the skills to cut a fourth (correct) sheave within the block of that size."

Eventhough I don't believe in the content of this sentence, the knighthead is very nice with three sheaves...

and eventhough I like your struggle to do the best, my phrase was just for having to hand it to you...  :D  

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Well Ferit,

Thanks for that, well deserved I'm sure. As I gain confidence with my Proxxon skills, I may revisit this and do one with the correct four holes. This would not be too much of a surprise with this build, having spent so much time already going back fixing errors lol. This will just be a new error after the fix error Hmmmm

Will you be going back into your shipyard anytime soon??  hope so.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Well Ferit,

Thanks for that, well deserved I'm sure. As I gain confidence with my Proxxon skills, I may revisit this and do one with the correct four holes. This would not be too much of a surprise with this build, having spent so much time already going back fixing errors lol. This will just be a new error after the fix error Hmmmm

Will you be going back into your shipyard anytime soon??  hope so.

Cheers,

Michael

The fourth sheave is for the top rope. So, if you are not planning to rig the top rope (normally only rigged when striking or raising the top mast) then you will not miss it anyway.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Nice work, and the pictures are excellent. Wait for new ones. Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

Michael,

My opinion is that if there is not any big error it's not necessary to go back to rebuild the parts. All kit build ships are not perfect replicas one way or another. So there can be endless small negligible faults. And my fault was to go on with my perfectionism. Now I feel some tired in front of Berlin. When I begun to build her I was thinking that she was a perfect replica. Before MSW I had apparently been greenhorn, young to believe in that. And IMO if I want to build a model ship from a kit with pleasure I should not see some errors.

Your corrections are perfect but there will be always some imperfect items. The knighthead with 3 sheaves is enough, just perfect besides.

In my previous post I wanted to say just that. Your skill is high degree but the perfectionism is always one step ahead. It's not good to feel tired like me but I will find my hope there where I left it. :-)

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Michael,

after a few weeks of holiday and the absence of any computer, I realized now your fantastic update! Meanwhile it looks so realistic, wonderful work!

best regards , Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

I think as serious modelers we tend to be perfectionist by nature. We spend countless hours on a single project...it is completely natural to want to do it to the best of our ability. If we had a business and it was staffed with nobody but modelers it would in all likelihood be a success (unless of course we were all too much distracted by our hobby :) )!

The fourth sheave is for the top rope. So, if you are not planning to rig the top rope (normally only rigged when striking or raising the top mast) then you will not miss it anyway.

Henry,

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Ferit, yes your observation is correct, I had also had noticed regarding one larger sheave. Now we understand why. I might challenge myself a bit more attempting to groove 4 sheaves in another block. Depending how it (they) comes out I will attempt to remove the installed block. 

That might not be easy. Zero wiggle room and glued in two places. Maybe pliers with a quick snap might break the glue hold. 

In any case Henry your explanation is very useful. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-41541900-1434204206_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Very nice work on the sheaves, Michael!

By the time you are done with your Vasa, you will be giving lessons to us on how to use that milling machine!!!

Frank

Yea Frank,

But first I have to take your courses on how to make beautiful sails from you and Karlosp (:-)

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Karleop,

I apologise your ship is so beautiful, So loved your rigging and sails, forgot to mention in my last post that you are also my teacher (;-)

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Dear Mike:

Thank you for the compliments, but your level for the details is outstanding and I´m sure your finished ship will be an example to follow.

Saludos Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Well after a bit of introspection, I realized that I needed to push myself. What was the point of buying an expensive tool and not learning how to use it to its full advantage, so Proxxon milling machine got another visit.

After three attempts, I got one block with four sheaves (one a bit bigger) that looked ok.

Next came the issue with the pulleys, and by some coincidence some left over cannon doors slipped perfectly into the grooves. So pulleys were made as follows.

Pics are fairly self-explanatory:

Drilled a center hole through each door

Cut the corners, and attached the four to a Dremel using one of those circular micro saw shafts

With a block, sanded the doors down to appropriate sized spheres.

Using a round head micro file initiated four small grooves

Then using an end bit deepened the previous grooves to appropriate looking depth

The “pulleys” slipped right into the block with the now correct four sheaves.

Looking at the close-ups, I now see that I need to re-paint the knightheads - ugly close up J

Also I need to re-adjust the upper gun deck ladder hooks – they stick out too far - out of scale.

Thanks for all of you kind comment. AND certainly your advice and encouragement.

Michael

post-735-0-17217500-1435680849_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-35545300-1435680857_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-20648500-1435680865_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-69423000-1435680872_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-24262100-1435680880_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34070100-1435680887_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29973300-1435680895_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-61457500-1435680902_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65442600-1435680911_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-40484200-1435680922_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-89331400-1435680931_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67838300-1435680939_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-76813700-1435680946_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-51852500-1435680954_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-18734700-1435680962_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-79003100-1435680970_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Wow ---- that's all I can say....good job and very realistic Michael

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com