New Again?

Dan_L

Hi all, I'm not exactly new to MSW but have been away for a very long time so please let me just start over with a new introduction.

I have done many many plastic models but a few years ago I decided I wanted to switch to wooden ship models. My first choice to start with was the schooner Phantom by Model Shipways which has a solid hull that requires carving and a LOT of sanding to shape. I quickly found out that I am terrible at carving and I made a complete mess of the hull. In extreme frustration I didn't get very far before giving up and putting that kit away in the closet. Fast forward several years and now that I am retired and have more time to spend on hobbies (especially when weather is bad) I decided that I wanted to give wood ship modeling another shot.

I knew that I didn't want to try that solid hull model again so after a lot of reading and browsing model suppliers I decided that this attempt would be the 18th century armed longboat also by Model Shipways. I chose this kit because it is a little larger scale so maybe easier to work with these old fingers. Also I knew that I wanted to do a plank on frame attempt this time and the longboat seemed to have pretty favorable results by many rookies like me. I have had the kit for about 2 weeks now but before I even opened the box I did a lot more reading books, browsing forums and watching videos to hopefully give myself a better chance with this build. Well, I started on it yesterday. I was a little nervous about the first step of beveling the aft false keel to the rabbit line but it wasn't as bad I thought it would be. So the completed keel assembly is right now glued up and clamped so now I can turn the page and continue.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi again. I will go a little farther with the build before I bore any of you with a beginners build log. I'm sure I will be back asking dumb questions so please just bear with me.

Thanks and happy modeling

Welcome back Dan. Ask all the questions you'd like, there are no dumb questions. Looking forward to seeing your build log.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

42 minutes ago, Dan_L said:

I quickly found out that I am terrible at carving and I made a complete mess of the hull.

Unlike plastic, it is neigh on to impossible to totally ruin a wooden ship kit.  Worse comes to worst, all of the material can be replaced with the natural material from outside sources, and started over as scratch.  It is better schooling too.

One of the tricks with carving is to use tools that work well. 

For more than light removal, StewMac has a pair of small razor files that are peachy keen.

For the sort of sanding that the hull needs, it is probably better to always have a wood backing on the sandpaper. 

Rubber cement - both surfaces coated, allowed to dry, and joined, fixes the paper to the backing and makes for easy renewal.

No matter how badly the hull looks,  it will still look better than any POB hull - unless the POB hull is totally filled between the molds.   And if that is done, it is essentially the same as a carved hull.

It is difficult to irreversibly damage a solid wood hull.  If too much is removed, the loss can be replaced.

If it is just a little, wood flour mixed with PVA makes a very strong layer, but it will be tougher to remove than the original wood after it sets up.   For a deeper patch, scab a layer of wood veneer - Pine works.

When you get the shape to match your templates, even if it is ugly, that is easy to hide.

The kit may offer this suggestion, but a solid carved hull makes an excellent support for a layer of actual planking.

The planking wood should be thin and of a scale appropriate species of hardwood.  Being thin, the planks can be properly spilled by using a steel straight edge and a sharp knife.  Since the hull is being gridled beyond its dimension, thin is best.

Using an appropriate species of wood can turn a chore into a joy. 

The model will look better.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

:piratebo5:Welcome back to the Place To Be!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Dan, hopefully it's a welcome back to joyful modeling. Wishing you great success with your longboat. 

Welcome back!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome back home, Dave.  All those that wander are not lost.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back Dan.  Please do a build log on your 18th century armed longboat.  We would like to follow your progress during your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat